Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It helped to see how people who live there feel. Unfortunately, I am a white-knuckle flier, so that is out of the question. My husband spoke to the boss today and found out the general salary level, and that makes LI much more appealing. It's a very generous offer. He did say if we don't take it, there would be a place for us in North Carolina, but we don't know salary there.

Thanks for the recommendation of Sea Cliff. I didn't see that till after we got back. If this is a go, there will be many more town visits in our future, so we will check it out. And we may pay more attention to Nassau County. I like that there are more Asians there since my daughter is Chinese. And I also like the fact that it's a shorter commute to Manhattan should the job ever move off the island or if we decide to move, I imagine it makes the house more marketable. Another town I just looked at (online) is Port Washington. That looks very nice. But, in the meantime we just need to think over our decision. We have to let them know by the end of the week, but we might try to push it off to Monday so we can head down to NC and see what we think of that. Decisions...decisions...
I read your previous assessment of your trip and also noting on this one that your daughter is Chinese I wanted to mention -- my former childhood neighbor has two adopted Chinese daughters. They live in Northport and love it there. They are also involved in Chinese school to help them maintain their cultural identity.

One of my closest friends here in Stony Brook grew up and graduated from Northport schools; another friend is a retired guidance counselor. I have heard nothing but positive from the above 3 whereas Northport is concerned.

FWIW I didn't mention my community, Stony Brook, because it is further east and might not be a convenient commute for your husband. Other than that, there is an Asian population which has been drawn here by careers at the University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It helped to see how people who live there feel. Unfortunately, I am a white-knuckle flier, so that is out of the question. My husband spoke to the boss today and found out the general salary level, and that makes LI much more appealing. It's a very generous offer. He did say if we don't take it, there would be a place for us in North Carolina, but we don't know salary there.

Thanks for the recommendation of Sea Cliff. I didn't see that till after we got back. If this is a go, there will be many more town visits in our future, so we will check it out. And we may pay more attention to Nassau County. I like that there are more Asians there since my daughter is Chinese. And I also like the fact that it's a shorter commute to Manhattan should the job ever move off the island or if we decide to move, I imagine it makes the house more marketable. Another town I just looked at (online) is Port Washington. That looks very nice. But, in the meantime we just need to think over our decision. We have to let them know by the end of the week, but we might try to push it off to Monday so we can head down to NC and see what we think of that. Decisions...decisions...
Plenty of Chinese and other Asians in my town and they are cool enough to share their culture with the rest of us. For example, on a Saturday a couple of months back at the public library a Chinese group came in and gave a presentation for kids with lots of fantastic dragon costumes, music, etc.

Most parts of Port Washington would meet your needs.

As for NC, I am not a big fan. I know too many unhappy "Yankees" (and the locals do call them that in a derogatory manner but being from VA I guess your family will not be pegged as such) down there who now can't afford to come back and buy another home on LI, so there they sit.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:06 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Plenty of Chinese and other Asians in my town and they are cool enough to share their culture with the rest of us. For example, on a Saturday a couple of months back at the public library a Chinese group came in and gave a presentation for kids with lots of fantastic dragon costumes, music, etc.

Most parts of Port Washington would meet your needs.

As for NC, I am not a big fan. I know too many unhappy "Yankees" (and the locals do call them that in a derogatory manner but being from VA I guess your family will not be pegged as such) down there who now can't afford to come back and buy another home on LI, so there they sit.
Oh no we've riled up the power women of LI!

Big caveat to WHERE on that...

OP - Please feel free to msg me with NC questions.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Oh no we've riled up the power women of LI!

Big caveat to WHERE on that...

OP - Please feel free to msg me with NC questions.
Please Mikey, this is just experience of families I know who have gone there and don't like it. I know a few who do like it, but they are totally and completely enamored of McMansions and would not trade theirs for anything in the world, so they are staying put because having a big McMansion makes everything worth it for them in NC. (Again, yeah, this is just the people I know ... there are many who are not like this I am sure who have moved to NC like yourself.)

And yes, it does make a big difference WHERE in NC, so hopefully wherever the OP's husband's company is, is not like that. Although the OP and her family should NOT be subjected to such treatment because they are from VA and not "Yankees" so they shouldn't even consider my comments at all, I'm afraid. Sorry, OP! You're not Yankees, so strike that.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
North Carolina actually is not an unknown to us. My husband went to college there and then worked there until he met me and moved to NoVA. His mom moved there while he was living there so she is down there - not where we would live, though. I really don't like the area she is in - Greensboro. We'd be looking in Chapel Hill. I'm not into McMansions, new construction and shopping malls, so Raleigh/Cary do not appeal to me. NC is appealing to us for the slower pace of life and the warmer weather. And I like driving to Florida once or twice per winter so it would be very convenient for that. I'm not a fan of the cold, which is why I never really considered moving north. But there's more to life than warm weather, and frankly the weather in NY is not too different than DC.

Two of my children were born in Virginia so while my husband and I are most definitely Yankees (he from Massachusetts; I from Pennsylvania), they are not!

Old 06-14-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
North Carolina actually is not an unknown to us. My husband went to college there and then worked there until he met me and moved to NoVA. His mom moved there while he was living there so she is down there - not where we would live, though. I really don't like the area she is in - Greensboro. We'd be looking in Chapel Hill. I'm not into McMansions, new construction and shopping malls, so Raleigh/Cary do not appeal to me. NC is appealing to us for the slower pace of life and the warmer weather. And I like driving to Florida once or twice per winter so it would be very convenient for that. I'm not a fan of the cold, which is why I never really considered moving north. But there's more to life than warm weather, and frankly the weather in NY is not too different than DC.

Two of my children were born in Virginia so while my husband and I are most definitely Yankees (he from Massachusetts; I from Pennsylvania), they are not!
None of the people I know is in Chapel Hill and I've never been there.

Hopefully you and your husband have been Virginians long enough that you get a pass on your Yankee roots! J/K

Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:

Another town I just looked at (online) is Port Washington. That looks very nice. Decisions...decisions...
If it doesn't bother you that you're far from all highways, Port Washington is a great place! And the easiest LIRR commute, because it doesn't go through Jamaica. The trains start here, so you'll always get a seat and because it's the end of the line, you can't sleep through your stop
You'd even have a Whole Foods store nearby Definitely worth a look! Have had friends there for many many years and it's remained a great place over time.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County

A map of the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:

Port Washington is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places that have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Port Washington are in the Village of Sands Point, the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Manorhaven, the Village of Baxter Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:40 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
michgc,
Make sure you can also handle the taxes on Long Island. Even a hefty salary increase can be eaten up quickly with the Island's cost of living.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:21 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Thank you all so very much! I gave rep points to each of you who helped me. Because of the kindness of strangers on an Internet board, I was able to get a much better picture of life on Long Island. Besides reading this thread, I have read through many others over the last week regarding the high taxes, the poor economy on the island, the bad traffic, and other topics. I also read many positive threads about beautiful small towns and nostolgia about growing up on LI.

It made our decision much easier to have accurate information and opinions from those who live there. We finally decided to turn down the job on Long Island. Although it was a big promotion for my husband, we felt much of the monetary increase would be eaten up in taxes and the general higher expense of the NYC metropolitan area. We also were worried about the hassle of getting on and off the island. So thank you so much for all of the valuable information you give me. We enjoyed our visit there very much. The beautiful towns and all of the nice people we met made it hard to turn down. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island