Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote to consolidate LI school districs for a 50% tax reduction?
Yes- The tax burden needs to be reduced 66 74.16%
No- Our schools are too important, I'll pay the extra taxes 23 25.84%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:39 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,543,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The point was that any savings that might accrue would be from eliminating all of the 127 LI school district central offices and staffs .

You are getting that 31 million savings (derived from a 250K salary estimation) from simply eliminating the one chief superintendent from each district central office.

What about the elimination of the assistant superintendent (s) (200K per?) from each district central office, the assistant superintendent for business from each central office (200K?), associate superintendents, deputy superintendents, directors, curricular associates, other various and sundry hangers-on, etc and their staff? Syosset, for example, has six superintendents alone - the old days of one superintendent, a business guy, and a secretary as the sole occupants of the central office bureaucracy are long gone. I'd quadruple or quintuple that 31M figure (salary, not benefits BTW) for starters.

Of course discussions of this sort hinge on simplifications and of course a new island-wide superintendent office and staff would be a new expense.

I do agree the whole enterprise would be unlikely to reduce our property tax burden unless more costs are shifted to the state (via an increased state income tax).
I was just using the $31 million figure quoted in a previous post.

I see where you are coming from. I'm just not sure that combining 127 districts into two (Nassau + Suffolk) will come anywhere close to reducing 127 administrations into 2. There will likely be two enormous administrations, along with several "sub-districts." The many deputies and their support staffs will likely rival the current setup in terms of people and cost.

Just like corporate consolidations that never live up to the promised savings, I am very skeptical it can be done. Again, studies show that school district consolidation doesn't pay off until you get to districts smaller than 1500.

I really don't know the answer. I would strongly argue against county-wide consolation on Long Island. I just can't see how any real savings could be achieved. My gut tells me costs would increase and the "better" districts would end up suffering. I have yet to see any real analysis that contradicts my beliefs.

At the same time, there are several smaller districts that could benefit from merging. That should be looked at.

This is all conjecture. It has as much likelihood as NY splitting into two states. You can call it NIMBYism, but there is much to be said for local control. I simply believe that consolidation isn't necessarily the answer (although I am more than happy to consider it based on actual facts). Our school taxes are out of control for other reasons that, IMO, consolidation is unlikely to help. The political power of the unions involved is far too great to affect real change.

I have some property in rural upstate. In that area, the "too many districts" argument doesn't hold. Yet, the school taxes are actually higher than Long Island. If my property up there had the same value (assessed or full market) as my property on Long Island, my upstate school tax bill would be more than 2x what it is on Long Island.

What that administrator and his staff make is definitely way too much. It's not a 6-figure job for a district that size, but that's what they pay in NYS. Either way, complete elimination of all administration wouldn't make a dent in the budget or the tax bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 02:51 PM

20,064 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Nothing will derail the gravy train.
You could come up with a thousand different solutions and these dirtbags will still find a way to bleed the taxpayers . Greed is a very powerful thing. So is entitlement.
Good luck.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:59 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I think the experts agree that there are no real savings with consolidation - - I have never even heard that promise made.
Just wondering, which experts?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:05 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
So he was talking about all superintendents across LI, equaling approx $31mil in salary. Now consider there are approx 35,000 teachers, if 80k being the minimum salary (and that's obviously conservative), that's $2.8bil in salary. With a B. Our reasons for high taxes are not in the superintendents. It is clear it's in the teachers who EACH demand stupid-high, costly, benefits with their inflated salaries (well above $80k).

What's the benefit and salary package like in VA?
Not 80K min that's for sure. To be honest I think they're under-paid here and when our kids were in school didn't get enough money to supply their classrooms. My wife and I would donate supplies and money along with a match from her company so the teachers could have a chance.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:09 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nothing will derail the gravy train.
You could come up with a thousand different solutions and these dirtbags will still find a way to bleed the taxpayers . Greed is a very powerful thing. So is entitlement.
Good luck.
instead of consolidation of the school districts, why not eliminate the tons of layers of administrators ?
I attended a very large LI high school in the early seventies. Graduating class over 1000.
One principal. A few assistant principals. Most of the deans were also full time teachers. One school psychologist for a 3400 student school, who was only there a few days a week (also covered the jr. high).
Heads of departments were full time teachers as well.
Today we have "assistant directors of fine arts" . Director of physical education. Assistant director of dance.
Don't give me any grief about increasing technology, 95% of these positions seem bogus.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 PM

20,064 posts, read 20,877,739 times
^^^^
Exactly.
Bloated bogusness and communism.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Not 80K min that's for sure. To be honest I think they're under-paid here and when our kids were in school didn't get enough money to supply their classrooms. My wife and I would donate supplies and money along with a match from her company so the teachers could have a chance.
The teachers on LI still ask for supplies and money.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:07 PM

19,227 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
So he was talking about all superintendents across LI, equaling approx $31mil in salary. Now consider there are approx 35,000 teachers, if 80k being the minimum salary (and that's obviously conservative), that's $2.8bil in salary. With a B. Our reasons for high taxes are not in the superintendents. It is clear it's in the teachers who EACH demand stupid-high, costly, benefits with their inflated salaries (well above $80k).

What's the benefit and salary package like in VA?
Central Virginia teachers are starting at about $43k a year (10 month contract) http://henricoschools.us/pdf/HumanRe...alaryScale.pdf

Other benefits are outlined here Employee Benefits – Henrico County Public Schools

These examples are typical for central Virginia, Northern Virginia pays a bit higher, western Virginia pays a bit less.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:26 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Yer tax dollars hard @ work. https://www.empirecenter.org/publica...k-in-pensions/

Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,784,010 times
Yeah, I would like to consolidate my school district (GC) with Hempstead Village.

Although if GC could take over Hempstead, I would actually be okay with it but the HV residents would scream 'discrimination' and install their cronies in GC destroying our SD. Seriously, this is the mess you're looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island