Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 AM

939 posts, read 2,682,282 times

Advertisements

So that the teachers make a living others in the private sector can only dream about nowadays. Too many school districts=too hard for proper state oversight. The taxpayers on LI are the fools as the teachers unions basically use them as their own private piggy bank. Property values keep falling but your school taxes go up 6%+ every year.

LI teachers getting hefty raises despite economy -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lipay0308,0,1282888.story - broken link)

Last edited by Peter B; 03-08-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,912 times
REMEMBER, Dear Friends....IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN !

Old 03-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Stimulus Plan Would Provide Flood of Aid to Education

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/education/28educ.html

"The formulas by which the stimulus money for public schools would be allocated to states and local districts are complex, but take into consideration numbers of school-age children in poor families. The level received per student would vary considerably by state, according to an analysis by the New America Foundation, a research group that monitors education spending. New York would be among the biggest beneficiaries, at $760 per student, while New Jersey and Connecticut would fall near the bottom, with $427 and $409 per student, respectively. The District of Columbia would get the most per student, $1,289, according to the foundation’s analysis."

Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 AM

893 posts, read 2,865,156 times
Is there an actual plan to lower the number of school districts? I wonder how Long Island is going to be like in 10 years when I'm looking to buy a home.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 AM

20,064 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Oh boy...this is gonna be a good one...put yer gloves on...

Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 AM

852 posts, read 2,018,241 times
Default I'm as liberal as they come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
So that the teachers make a living others in the private sector can only dream about nowadays. Too many school districts=too hard for proper state oversight. The taxpayers on LI are the fools as the teachers unions basically use them as their own private piggy bank. Property values keep falling but your school taxes go up 6%+ every year.

LI teachers getting hefty raises despite economy -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lipay0308,0,1282888.story - broken link)
I'm as liberal as they come, and I have a wife who is a public school teacher. Still, I think that teacher salaries should be linked to the median salary in the district, or some other calculus that doesn't presuppose that incomes are increasing at 6% annually.

I'm also a bleeding heart union advocate, but I think that the teacher's union is making a mistake by pushing for their typical increases when the economy is in the crapper.

The height of hubris was, in my opinion, the effort to rebuild all of the athletic facilities in Northport/East Northport with a $9 million bond issue when people were losing their jobs all over the island.

Still, I support the numerous districts. I want my district responsive to me and not to 7 million others. I don't want my voice to disappear in the crowd. Good schools are expensive. Right now we have expense and good schools. Make larger districts and you will have expense and crappier schools. Look at the Florida county-wide district model.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Taxpayers will be looking MORE critically at school budgets, among other things, especially NOW, when they are being taxed "left and right !

In addition, as the population get's more mature, there will be more pressure on school districts to "reel in", frivolous spending.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:49 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Taxpayers will be looking MORE critically at school budgets ...
Union contracts are OUTSIDE the vote on the school district budget.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Union contracts are OUTSIDE the vote on the school district budget.
Regardless of "WHERE" or "WHO", they are actually negotiated, you can bet, THE SCHOOL AND THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS, ARE THE PLACE, THAT WILL FEEL MOST OF THE HEAT FROM TAXPAYERS...teachers, principals, and superintendent's ALIKE...ANYONE AND ANYTHING, in the locality, wherever the taxpayers meet the Schools !

People WILL NOT be passive and "take it", much longer ! EVERYONE will feel the heat, if they don't already !

The details, MEAN NOTHING ! This "heat" will be evenly distributed !

Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 AM

659 posts, read 2,518,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

I think that teachers deserve the pay that thet receive. As a teacher, we have one of the hardest jobs to do. Keep in mind that not all districts are getting a 6% raise...I know mine isn't. Don't vote down your school budgets because the article is very very misleading. (Typical Newsday teacher bashing)

Also, teacher raises are usually tied into 3-4 year contracts. These raises were voted upon 3 years ago as a legally binding contract. I doubt any contracts that are up this year will get that raise.

before people bash teacher salaries, read between the lines. Also, with 126 districts on LI only 5 or 6 are getting that raise and almost nobody is at that top tier of seniority. Most teacher make under $65,000.

At my school of 110 teacher, 3 make the top salary because they have been teaching almost 30 years. Don't be mislead by Newsday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island