Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

Of course, the local young geniuses were too busy improving their mental skills playing Donkey Kong XXII to think about earning a few bucks.

So yes, I hired illegal immigrants and Im thankful that they are here...doing something our vicadin free, Whole Food nutritioned, socialized in diversity losers couldn't get their rear ends out to do today.
That's the problem with America. The kids are taught "being the bossman/queen bee = Good. Being the worker bee = Bad" and because of this, kids strive to be the chief and *never* the indian. A nation with all chiefs and no indians is unrealistic. And these days it's not even about being a good hard-working forward-thinking boss with a deep desire to impove America. Rather today it's all about *not* being the worker bee and reaching the status of hands-off boss who plays golf and eats filet mignon. Higher education isn't about the actual education today, rather, it's about cutting corners to "get that degree" to become that golf-playing exec. All these inner city youth on tv saying they wanna be "CEO" when they grow up yet 99.9 percent of them don't know the difference between the S&P 500 ad the NYSE Composite. Duh.

Last edited by grimace8; 01-13-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
I guess my kids were the only white kids around who are encouraged to work and to help others. Makes me so so old fashioned.

My 10 year old went to school today boasting that he made $45 yesterday. His teacher said ; oh yes, the kids dont do that anymore!! What a sad state of affairs.

I will keep my old fashioned ways and keep teaching my kids my old fashioned ways. Sometimes the old ways benefit the kids.

By the way ; they didnt go playing in the snow at all. But hte other neighbour kids were our playing and they are older than mine.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
I used to do this, though i am hispanic so i wonder if you would have called me illegal.

We did have some illegals come around, but there were more than enough houses to go around.

I posted a FB status about this the last storm.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
All these inner city youth on tv saying they wanna be "CEO" when they grow up yet 99.9 percent of them don't know the difference between the S&P 500 ad the NYSE Composite. Duh.
Yeah, but P Diddy Puff Daddy Sean Combs Sean John Whatever His Name Is This Week did it, so they will, too!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:03 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe not likely when it comes to kids out shovelling snow, but not impossible.
I admit that it's possible, just seems unlikely that they'd go through all the trouble of shoveling snow (these guys did quite a few houses on my block and presumably some other blocks as well) just to case houses.

A landscaping business on the other hand - the guy's mowing lawns anyway, if he sees a target of opportunity, he could pass along the info. It's more of a steady thing, which makes more sense.

I don't really see what they could learn by shoving my driveway that they couldn't learn just by driving by the house. It's not like I invited them in for pie and a look inside my wife's jewelry box.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I admit that it's possible, just seems unlikely that they'd go through all the trouble of shoveling snow (these guys did quite a few houses on my block and presumably some other blocks as well) just to case houses.

A landscaping business on the other hand - the guy's mowing lawns anyway, if he sees a target of opportunity, he could pass along the info. It's more of a steady thing, which makes more sense.

I don't really see what they could learn by shoving my driveway that they couldn't learn just by driving by the house. It's not like I invited them in for pie and a look inside my wife's jewelry box.
Yeah it is more of a long shot with independent people doing the snow shoveling.

However, in the winter some landscaping businesses do snow removal for large residential customers like apartment complexes.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
The kids don't deserve all the blame for being lazy, the parents deserve most of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
when was the last time you saw a white teenager with a lawnmower trying to hustle up some business during his summer vacation.

Just keep in mind...we are raising scholars and gifted children on Long Island...they shouldn't get their hands dirty..ever.
Landscaping companies have blown up over the last 15-20 years. Who here remembers this many landscaping companies on LI back in their yoots? It's not practical for a kid today to try and compete when a group of 5 guys in a truck, with professional equipment, will do it for the same price. Cheap labor and high volume, scale -- Not rich, lazy white kids or the parents. I'll embrace Spanish; I won't embrace ilegales.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Default All Kidding Aside ...

... here's breaking news from ABC about what you might get with a day laborer you allow in or around your home:

Violent connection to LI break-ins suspect
Violent connection to Great Neck, Kings Point break-ins suspect | 7online.com

Quote:
GREAT NECK, N.Y. (WABC) -- Two communities on Long Island are worried and demanding answers from police after a man wanted in a string of break-ins is the same man wanted for a violent attack and sexually assaulting a 2-year-old in Texas.

Police say the man they're looking for is a dangerous sexual predator.

Unlike most burglars, he's not scared off, instead, he thrives on being confronted and getting violent.

The first incident happened last summer when a 51-year-old woman met a day laborer at a Hempstead Home Depot.

That encounter was caught on the store's surveillance video.

The man offered to fix her toilet but ended up fracturing the woman's skull with a hammer.

Last month, a 15-year-old girl woke up to a stranger holding a cloth over her face in her Great Neck home.

That intruder left behind this hat which police used to get DNA evidence.

Cops quickly linked him to the abduction and rape of a 2-year-old child in Loredo, Texas.

They also believe he also burglarized six homes in the Great Neck and Kings Point area.
He's only 5' 2" tall and probably seemed "harmless." Goes to show you never know.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Default What a great example of our failure to enforce the law!

Its snobs like you who hire these illegals that are ruining the island. Those guys probably live in an overcrowded house in the next town, where they are active gang members. An underclass is growing because of lazy, selfish people like you. These guys are probably laughing it up in the barrio next to your town about how "lazy" gringos are.
I'm sick of having you dump these guys on towns like mine, leaving us to deal with the mess these guys create, not to mention jamming up my bus.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:30 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
LOL. Me too!

I was about to get out and tackle it with my sweet snow blower when lo and behold the door bell sounded.

A pack of immigrants were abound in the neighborhood. I was going to turn them away but decided to low ball them with an offer of 15 bucks...I have a very nice size driveway and it was covered with snow. I even pushed it by asking them to include the walk way.

The bright lad smiled and said "si!" he looked at his accomplices and they smiled.

They made a little more than a buck apiece and were done in approximately 20 mins. It was magical. Almost like they were snow fairies.

I remember as a kid everyone would be competing to shovel walks and we would bank.

Now......nary a youth in sight. Maybe because in my neighborhood they may think it is below them. I dunno. I would think fiscally minded parents would promote it to build Character, but then again this is no longer the Long Island of old.

Anyway...15 bucks well spent.
How many laws were violated here? You know these guys have no standards and pay them pennies, and because they have no standards they are OK with it? You see, this is how illegals are taking the jobs of US citizens because they have no standards and a greedy person such as yourself will take full advantage of that.
If it was up to me the cops would slap the cuffs on you for violating several laws. But politicians would rather pander to you and so they look the other way.
I'm sure you're proud of yourself helping the destruction of America,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island