Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:49 PM

182 posts, read 406,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldyone View Post
Ban them all you want.. That will just keep the law-abiding citizens from getting them. Surely,it won't stop the criminals from getting them. The law prohibits convicted felons from owning firearms but, just guess how many of them have a small arsenal
Heroin is illegal but can be found anywhere.
Prohibition didn't stop the flow of alcohol and increased the production of bathtub gin.
Banning clips will remove them from the law abiding people, but the criminals will still have them.

McCarthy's response isn't surprising. Bishops isn't either. He knows he has upset enough people in his district after the close race with Altshuler. He's trying to protect himself not us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Mr Bishop, my congressman, has come out in support of Carolyn McCarthy's bill to introduce legistlation that would provide a nationwide ban on high capacity magazines as a knee jerk reaction to the tragedy in Arizona. The preponderance of evidence that has been shown for decades, from a variety of sources, have shown that the vast majority of guns are used correctly, that homeowners will use guns in self defense an extraordinary number of times, and that limitations on gun rights has zero effect on crime rates.

I urge you to call the congressmans office and show your distaste for knee jerk legistlation, and say no to further limitations on gun rights. Or, ask if the congressman will ban high capacity vehicles next time there is an SUV or minivan accident.

Coram Office:
3680 Route 112, Suite C
Coram, NY 11727
(631) 696-6500
(631) 696-4520 (fax)

Southampton Office
137 Hampton Road
Southampton, NY 11968
(631) 259-8450
(631) 259-8451 (fax)

Washington Office:
306 Cannon H.O.B.
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-3826
(202) 225-3143 (fax)
I think youve just shown yours.

Ill be calling him in support too.

Guns dont kill people, semiautomatic weapons and idealogue Republicans do.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-19-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 05:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Default I am of two minds on this one ...

... sitting on the fence.

There is a very good argument AGAINST something like a 30-round clip being available to anyone (short of military personnel engaged in war) because basically it IS just a way to kill more people at once and devastatingly destructive in the hands of a homicidal lunatic, as evidenced again and again.

Yet, people have a point when they say "then only the criminals will have them" because that is exactly what happened in NYS with its strict gun laws ... they don't seem to affect the criminals' ability to get them and law-abiding citizens are left with nothing. Another point is where does the banning stop? In England, where all guns are banned (and you'd think that would be ENOUGH), the government is now trying to ban sharp KNIVES with points for crying out loud, as a "crime prevention" effort.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

There is a very good argument AGAINST something like a 30-round clip being available to anyone (short of military personnel engaged in war) because basically it IS just a way to kill more people at once and devastatingly destructive in the hands of a homicidal lunatic, as evidenced again and again.

Yet, people have a point when they say "then only the criminals will have them" because that is exactly what happened in NYS with its strict gun laws ... they don't seem to affect the criminals' ability to get them and law-abiding citizens are left with nothing. Another point is where does the banning stop? In England, where all guns are banned (and you'd think that would be ENOUGH), the government is now trying to ban sharp KNIVES with points for crying out loud, as a "crime prevention" effort.

The banning stops where common sense people decide it should stop.

the constitution gives a right to bear arms, so that's not changing anytime soone.

considering that there is a law saying you can't own a bazooka or a machine gun that has not been overturned by the supreme court, that means that the government can restrict that right. Why we continue to cater to the desires of extreme gun fetishists, I have no idea.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
I think we should ban stupid congressional representatives from trying to create dumb laws instead ... starting with Tim Bishop and Carolyn McCarthy.

This is just a knee-jerk reaction. Why? BECAUSE THE CRIMINALS DON'T CARE! They will still have their 30 round magazines and go around mowing people down. The only people this will impact will be the legal gun owners - 99.9% of whom don't go around doing mass shooting sprees.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

I don't really think you can compare state laws to federal laws. For example most of the illegal guns in NY, were originally purchased legally (mostly in the south) then sold illegally on the black market.

Its easier to get some type of weapons on the black market that might be illegal in your state, but legal in other states, than it is to get it on the black market that is not only illegal in your state, but illegal in the country.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:09 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,812 times
This is just a knee-jerk reaction. Why? BECAUSE THE CRIMINALS DON'T CARE! They will still have their 30 round magazines and go around mowing people down. The only people this will impact will be the legal gun owners - 99.9% of whom don't go around doing mass shooting sprees.

Therefore they don't need and won't miss 30 round magazines.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM

188 posts, read 416,518 times
The problem is that once the banning of something starts, it never ends. Sure, you'll ban high capacity magazines now, then try banning semi automatics all together. Eventually, you will take every gun that law abiding citizens own and ban that.

NY is a big friggin joke. They want to pass a microstamping law that you knucklehead liberals think will solve crimes. It has been tried in other places and been proven not to work. Thank God the State Senate is now in Republican hands.

Look at Australia. Crime rose dramatically once guns were banned.

I'm a law abiding citizen and a gun owner. I don't need you or the government telling me what I can and can't have, including high capacity magazines.

You are all overreacting to one incident. Nobody seems to give a damn when a cop is shot in NJ by a thug. Do you think you'll ever get his gun? When he comes to your house, will you be able to defend yourself? I know I will whether I need to fire one shot or a hundred.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The purpose of those other things however isn't to kill, nor is it to cause as much destruction as quickly as possible. That is the very purpose of the large magazine clips. If someone wants to have a gun for self defense fine, however nothing a 30 round magazine can do as it relates to self defense that a 10 round magazine can't.

On a side note it will be interesting to see how long this thread lasts on this board
The purpose of guns people buy isn't to kill, thats illegal. The purpose of most people is either legal self defense (where most times the gun isn't discharged) or like me to shoot targets. Limitations via emotional arguement without any facts to support it isn't an arguement, its a statement of opinion.

Anything can be used to kill, knives, cars, baseball bats.

Since this is about a LI Congressman, I would assume it would stay on LI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I think youve just shown yours.

Ill be calling him in support too.

Guns dont kill people, semiautomatic weapons and idealogue Republicans do.

Crooks
I do hope your joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post

Therefore they don't need and won't miss 30 round magazines.
You won't miss your car not being able to go overr 55mph then too, right? Lots of arbitrary opinion in here, not a lot of hard facts.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,812 times
Anything can be used to kill, knives, cars,

When was the last time you heard of a jewel heist where the clerks were threatened when the perp pulled out a loaded car?

You won't miss your car not being able to go overr 55mph then too, right?

No, if everybody is governed to 55 mph, its okay with me. Won't happen because cars should be capable of going over 55 mph in case of an emergency, like the next time you shoot your mouth off.

I have guns, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island