Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 AM
gag gag started this thread

683 posts, read 1,421,847 times

Advertisements

Hi again---As you know from previous posts, we're now in Chicago and looking to get back to LI.

So, we just took a trip, and yes, we got pounded with snow on both ends. Anyway, we finally made it, and checked some rentals and homes in RP, West Islip, Baylon, and Lindenhurst areas. We did find a nice place in RP near the Floyd in RP SD. We also found 2 houses in Lindy, 1 rental, 1 for sale, on North 4th and 5th sts., between Montauk and Sunrise, near Wellwood. I don't think we need flood insurance there north of Montauk. With the rental, we may even be able to rent-to-own there. Lindenhust has a decent Wellwood "downtown," but I see not as nice as Babylon but that's nearby. I know we'd be OK there, and SD is not great, not bad. We also like that it's a local Village gov't. We felt ok with Bab., and WI as well, but choice is dictated by affordability.

I have more info. thankfully from Crooks and others about RP than we have on Lindenhurst. So, looking for any tips and opinions on Lindenhurst, especially if anyone knows that area mentioned above. Any general opinion on Lindenhurst and the Village administration practices too. Some have additional Village tax, some don't. I assume decent trains on Bab. line, but don't need a daily commute. Anyway, looks like a nice middle-class town for us. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM

183 posts, read 459,037 times
Lindenhurst is a pretty decent area for the most part. The only drawback is that it's located next to Copiague and North Amityville.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman91 View Post
Lindenhurst is a pretty decent area for the most part. The only drawback is that it's located next to Copiague and North Amityville.
Hello Eman91-

Drawback? Perhaps you'd be willing to point out the drawback(s) that you feel, in light of Lindenhurst's proximity to Copiague or
No. Amityville? Where are YOU living? Could you give me the percieved advantage that Lindenhurst has over Copiague? I've been living in
Copiague for better than 36 years now and never had any regrets, perhaps you know something that I don't? Of course, I do realize that
it's purely YOUR opinion and certainly you are entitled to it, but I'm interested in seeing whether or not I've been a blind fool, for having
remained here so long. I will give you credit though, you did spell Copiague correctly and that shows me that you do have a fundamental
knowledge of the area, but then, it could have just been a lucky guess, on your part. Try and get back to me, would you?

Got text?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QHjYsAka0E

Last edited by LongIslandEddie; 01-22-2011 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Added video link

Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 PM

257 posts, read 751,204 times
A good friend of mine grew up in Lindenhurst. Nice town, although they have closed down a bunch of the elementary schools very recently, so if you have children you may want to look into that further... I would stay closer to the village, although you will pay more. I think the only "con" to Lindenhurst is it's proximity to some not so nice neighborhoods. Easy commute to the city. It's on the Babylon train line, which is the best IMO.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Lindenhurst is a good town, full of pretty decent blue collar folks. My father's family is from there. It's not as swanky as areas north of there, but it will do. Don't kid yourself, the people in Lindenhurst have money...plenty of it. They just don't have a capacity to constantly show off their wealth. They also have some bad areas, town drunks, and rebellious youths like any other town.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:37 PM

183 posts, read 459,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Hello Eman91-

Drawback? Perhaps you'd be willing to point out the drawback(s) that you feel, in light of Lindenhurst's proximity to Copiague or
No. Amityville? Where are YOU living? Could you give me the percieved advantage that Lindenhurst has over Copiague? I've been living in
Copiague for better than 36 years now and never had any regrets, perhaps you know something that I don't? Of course, I do realize that
it's purely YOUR opinion and certainly you are entitled to it, but I'm interested in seeing whether or not I've been a blind fool, for having
remained here so long. I will give you credit though, you did spell Copiague correctly and that shows me that you do have a fundamental
knowledge of the area, but then, it could have just been a lucky guess, on your part. Try and get back to me, would you?

Got text?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QHjYsAka0E
Copiague and North Amityville had a few gang related shootings last year, from what I've read on Newsday.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Some have additional Village tax, some don't.
That's because not all places with a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address are in the Village of Lindenhurst.

Those places that have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lindenhurst are in the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst and the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lindenhurst with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

A map of the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:

A map of the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/North-lindenhurst-ny-map.gif (broken link)

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Hi again---As you know from previous posts, we're now in Chicago and looking to get back to LI.

So, we just took a trip, and yes, we got pounded with snow on both ends. Anyway, we finally made it, and checked some rentals and homes in RP, West Islip, Baylon, and Lindenhurst areas. We did find a nice place in RP near the Floyd in RP SD. We also found 2 houses in Lindy, 1 rental, 1 for sale, on North 4th and 5th sts., between Montauk and Sunrise, near Wellwood. I don't think we need flood insurance there north of Montauk. With the rental, we may even be able to rent-to-own there. Lindenhust has a decent Wellwood "downtown," but I see not as nice as Babylon but that's nearby. I know we'd be OK there, and SD is not great, not bad. We also like that it's a local Village gov't. We felt ok with Bab., and WI as well, but choice is dictated by affordability.

I have more info. thankfully from Crooks and others about RP than we have on Lindenhurst. So, looking for any tips and opinions on Lindenhurst, especially if anyone knows that area mentioned above. Any general opinion on Lindenhurst and the Village administration practices too. Some have additional Village tax, some don't. I assume decent trains on Bab. line, but don't need a daily commute. Anyway, looks like a nice middle-class town for us. Thanks for your help.
I really like Lindy.

I think its a really good value play for W Suffolk.
(W Bab too.)

If I had to commute to NYC and I was shopping on a budget it would be on my shortlist.

Only 2 bugaboos for me. No on Copiague schools due to N Amityville and watch out for flood zones So.of Montauk.

With that being said, if you dont need a NYC commute I still prefer RP to all of the above and being near the Billy F is a bonus.

Crooks

Old 01-22-2011, 06:55 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Lindenhurst is a good town, full of pretty decent blue collar folks. My father's family is from there. It's not as swanky as areas north of there, but it will do. Don't kid yourself, the people in Lindenhurst have money...plenty of it. They just don't have a capacity to constantly show off their wealth. They also have some bad areas, town drunks, and rebellious youths like any other town.

Yes

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with low key.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
the only "con" to Lindenhurst is it's proximity to some not so nice neighborhoods.
ladibug, could I ask you for additional information on those, "not so nice" neighborhoods? Did YOU grow up there or did your friend?
In Lindenhurst, you can't get too much closer to "the village" than No. 4th or 5th between Montauk and Sunrise, why would you recommend
looking "closer" to the village? Copiague is also on the Babylon branch of the L.I.R.R., and we have a village too. (Stay out of this Walter).
Additionally, Copiague has it's own weekly newspaper, does Lindenhurst? In Copiague, we have Tanner Park, the summers are filled with free
concerts, and the park itself, is the flagship of Babylon Township. We have a multi-cultural population, tucked also between Merrick Rd. or
(Montauk Hwy.) and Sunrise Highway, and every bit as much to offer as Lindenhurst.

I give you the same opportunity to clarify your post, that I gave to eman91. I'm not interested in trolling you nor in getting embroiled in a
snot-slinging contest, but I am sincerely interested in hearing about the "cons" and the "drawbacks" that have been alluded to in some of the
posts here. The OP, by gag was presented in this spirit: Lindenhurst--just visited, checked homes-Opinions please.
Sure, we're all entitled to our opinion but what good is an opinion unless it has been formed correctly, and not upon second-hand information?
Maybe you too, can help me, by spelling out those detractions which seem to fall upon the outlying communities adjacent to Lindenhurst?

Thanking you in advance,
Eddie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island