Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM

400 posts, read 761,748 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has heard this radio ad. I was driving the other day and heard it on 1010 Wins... Basically its a union ad, I didnt pay much attention, but the one portion of it that did get my attention was somewhere on the lines of:

If we have to work until 65 to retire, you have to work until 85.

I was taken a bit off guard... Anyone know the reasoning behind why they would say this..... This makes me relatively angry -- Did I hear wrong?

Do we have any prisons on the island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Just wondering if anyone has heard this radio ad. I was driving the other day and heard it on 1010 Wins... Basically its a union ad, I didnt pay much attention, but the one portion of it that did get my attention was somewhere on the lines of:

I was taken a bit off guard... Anyone know the reasoning behind why they would say this..... This makes me relatively angry -- Did I hear wrong?

Yes, there are prisons on LI.

I haven't heard the ad, but from what I can find, Cuomo is looking to sack corrections officers as opposed to the upper office corrections officials in an effort to balance the State budget. Nothiing along the lines of whay you've posted about 65/85 has shown up in my search.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM

294 posts, read 743,886 times
I've heard it several times but tend to tune it out because it sounds so angry, so can't comment on the specifics.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post

I heard that ad on 1010 WINS also. Yes, you heard correct. As for the reasoning behind it. Let's see. Perhaps they think that since the private sector can start using Social Security, 401(k)s, etc., much later than the public sector unions can use their pensions (plus for early Social Security there is a limit on how much earned income you can have), if they have to work longer, it "automatically" means that the private sector will always have it so much worse than they do, so it would behoove the private sector to stick up for their perks.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:22 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
This is a pro union ad from the New York City Corrections Union.
There are no prisons in Nassau or Suffolk County.

Why would you get angry about an ad that you didn't really listen to?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Hear it on Z100 even... my wife and I just looked at each other and wondered how in our world can we side with them the way it was spoken and worded. I don't even know where to begin. They say something about building this city like it was all them... if they have to work to 65, we have to work to 85!!!... umm... poor you guys, let me jump on your side right now and go stand in a picket line. Right. Wrong way to go about it sir. No offense, but get someone a little more in tune with white collar people write it if you're going to put it on public radio.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:33 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Hear it on Z100 even... my wife and I just looked at each other and wondered how in our world can we side with them the way it was spoken and worded. I don't even know where to begin. They say something about building this city like it was all them... if they have to work to 65, we have to work to 85!!!... umm... poor you guys, let me jump on your side right now and go stand in a picket line. Right. Wrong way to go about it sir.
He' not saying that if they have to work till 65, you should have to work till 85.

He's trying to say that attacks on public sector workers will also negatively impact the private sector.

A poorly written and horribly executed advertisement.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 PM

400 posts, read 761,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post

Because normally its just propaganda and can be ignored.. Nothing different in this case, but to say something like that.. I actually think they believe this garbage.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post

What would the difference be between a prison and the Nassau County Correctional Center or the Suffolk County Correctional Facility?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
What would the difference be between a prison and the Nassau County Correctional Center or the Suffolk County Correctional Facility?
I think it's that a county jail holds people who are awaiting trial and also holds people with short sentences (under a year?). The prisons hold long-term inmates and do not house people who are awaiting trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island