Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
What no South Setauket LOL;)
Concomitant with the 1980 Federal census, the Hamlet of East Setauket, the Hamlet of Setauket and the Hamlet of South Setauket were combined to form the unified Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Concomitant with the 1980 Federal census, the Hamlet of East Setauket, the Hamlet of Setauket and the Hamlet of South Setauket were combined to form the unified Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket.
Was there really once a hamlet of So Setauket?

Whats next North Centereach?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
North of 25A is the way to go in the TVCSD - better location, especially in your price range, if you're seriously considering Stony Brook and the Setauket areas.

Today I heard from a bank officer who works at Teacher's Federal Credit Union that the Strathmore neighborhoods in Stony Brook have changed quite a bit over the past 2.5 years because of foreclosures. Lots of empty houses, lots of robberies and vandalism. According to this mortgage officer, Asians are buying up the foreclosures due to the low prices. The atmosphere of these particular neighborhoods are changing quite a bit.

It was sad to hear. Those neighborhoods were really very safe for years and years. It's hard to believe things have changed that much.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
North of 25A is the way to go in the TVCSD - better location, especially in your price range, if you're seriously considering Stony Brook and the Setauket areas.

Today I heard from a bank officer who works at Teacher's Federal Credit Union that the Strathmore neighborhoods in Stony Brook have changed quite a bit over the past 2.5 years because of foreclosures. Lots of empty houses, lots of robberies and vandalism. According to this mortgage officer, Asians are buying up the foreclosures due to the low prices. The atmosphere of these particular neighborhoods are changing quite a bit.

It was sad to hear. Those neighborhoods were really very safe for years and years. It's hard to believe things have changed that much.
That is true. It looks like the M and University Heights have taken a hit.I dont think that the N of 25A rule is 100% in SB all the time. Wm Penn area is looking long in the tooth and full of Student housing as well.

I still like the area off of SB Rd/Mills by Flowerfield.High Hill?

Crooks

Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
*drooling over what you can get for 500-700K around here*

Personally id look on the bluffs overlooking the sound in the good school district of your choice!!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbrody View Post
Looking for feedback in terms of living in any of these communities. In terms of schools, housing options ($500 to $700K range)
Other towns I may be missing along these lines as well? Thanks in advance for any thoughts ...

As far as housing options are concerned, you have a good supply of inventory - more so in the Setauket area, especially if you want newer houses. Of course newer houses often bring higher RE taxes...
There's also a house in Pequot, with beach rights

Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:

lmao, run!!!! The Asians are coming! Give me a break. I cannot believe the mentality of people on long island. Btw...the "robberies,and break ins" of the house, are from local kids with no parental guidance. Put these kids to work. Another wonderful quality of long islanders....lazzyness.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 AM

10 posts, read 14,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
lmao, run!!!! The Asians are coming! Give me a break. I cannot believe the mentality of people on long island. Btw...the "robberies,and break ins" of the house, are from local kids with no parental guidance. Put these kids to work. Another wonderful quality of long islanders....lazzyness.
LOL!! I was thinking the same thing....what do the asians have to do with anything????

I grew up in Setauket and my husband and I both went through the TVSD. I don't know...I just didn't think it was that great. Having my own kids and living in an area(off LI) with schools ranked best in the state changes my opinion, I guess. There was, always has been, and is now a ton of drugs at Ward Melville. I have friends with younger siblings who have recently graduated and they have said heroin is everywhere in the school. There was even a recent article about drug sniffing dogs coming to Ward Melville and several arrests being made. Kinda sad. When I go back to visit, I can't help but to notice how so many areas have turned so dumpy looking. I would stay far, far, away from the S section or South Setauket Park(bordering Centereach). We have friends in there and there is a lot of crime going on around there.

I love the Shoreham/Wading River area. If I ever moved back, I would look there. Honestly, I don't know much about the state of the schools there now. I have heard some bad stuff. I also love Miller Place. Contrary to opinion on this board, I have always thought Rocky Point was a bit run down. I have family there as well(my dad actually grew up there) and it always had a low class feel to it. When I lived on LI, I had a friend who got a great deal on a house over there only to find out that a lot of illegal Mexican workers/drug dealers were selling out of their homes. She had small children and had a very hard time getting out from under her mortgage.

Good luck with your move! Oh, I love the Port Jeff schools...would be my number one district choice if I moved back. Top rated, small, and less crime.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeNYer View Post
LOL!! I was thinking the same thing....what do the asians have to do with anything????

I grew up in Setauket and my husband and I both went through the TVSD. I don't know...I just didn't think it was that great. Having my own kids and living in an area(off LI) with schools ranked best in the state changes my opinion, I guess. There was, always has been, and is now a ton of drugs at Ward Melville. I have friends with younger siblings who have recently graduated and they have said heroin is everywhere in the school. There was even a recent article about drug sniffing dogs coming to Ward Melville and several arrests being made. Kinda sad. When I go back to visit, I can't help but to notice how so many areas have turned so dumpy looking. I would stay far, far, away from the S section or South Setauket Park(bordering Centereach). We have friends in there and there is a lot of crime going on around there.

I love the Shoreham/Wading River area. If I ever moved back, I would look there. Honestly, I don't know much about the state of the schools there now. I have heard some bad stuff. I also love Miller Place. Contrary to opinion on this board, I have always thought Rocky Point was a bit run down. I have family there as well(my dad actually grew up there) and it always had a low class feel to it. When I lived on LI, I had a friend who got a great deal on a house over there only to find out that a lot of illegal Mexican workers/drug dealers were selling out of their homes. She had small children and had a very hard time getting out from under her mortgage.

Good luck with your move! Oh, I love the Port Jeff schools...would be my number one district choice if I moved back. Top rated, small, and less crime.

Thats fair,like StonyBrook (where my family is from), It really depends on where you are in RP. Some parts of RP have room for improvement(King Bway) some are absolutely stunning (Oak Hills).As for Mexicans I have not seen what you are describing...the area is still painfully Italian, white and catholic.Its actually held up surprisingly well considering the recent downturn.

SWR is really up in the air right now schools wise. http://northshoresun.timesreview.com...strative-cuts/

I like Port Jeff Schools but not the immediately surrounding area and its unclear whats happening with the Power Plant( tax and health wise).
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/s...eded-1.2695714

When did you leave?
Why?

Crooks

PS I think you got your Stathmores mixed up S-Section is still nice but the funny thing is that most of the folks in RP that moved from 3V came from those areas.

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-28-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:

Are Asians bad to have as neighbors? The Chinese family behind me, despite language barriers, have been polite and responsive neighbors. The white family to the rear on the other side crawled out from under a rock and hopefully will move elsewhere soon.

We have friends who actually live in the M, H & S sections who would beg to differ with the bank officer with regard to crime in the area. Do you know whether the bank officer lives there, or was s/he parroting what they heard from someone else, who heard it from someone else, etc.?

There are foreclosures according to Realtytrac.com which lists 39 preforeclosures and bank owned in Stony Brook, 11790. Of those, there are about 75% south of 25A not solely in Strathmore.

Setauket, 11733, shows 45 preforeclosure and 4 bank owned which represent a mix of the area from the critter houses, to Arrowhead up to Flax Ponf, Old Field, Poquott and Strongs Neck.

That brings the 3Vs to 88 preforeclosure and bank owned for a very large area.

In contrast, Rocky Point, the more affordable, lower priced area has 102 preforeclosures and bank owned (11788) which seems staggeringly large for much smaller area.

Larger areas, such as 11743, are shown to have as many as 173 preforeclosures and bank owned, but then, there is a rather depressed area in that zip code which isn't indicative of the entire area. Nonetheless, there are those who bought more than they can afford in the much nicer areas of 11743 and who are barely hanging on to their homes. Homes N25A on Eleanor, Beardsley, West Neck, Recreation Lane, Bay, Harbor Hill, Crane, Kane, Banbury are some of the preforclosures as are homes up on the neck Like 2 on Fiddlers Green, another on Oakwood Dr west and 2 on Target Rock.

No matter where one turns on LI there will be foreclosures. Some people are losing their homes due to job lose, others because they allowed themselves to believe they could afford more house than their wallet allowed and yet others who out of sheer hubris bought what they knew they couldn't afford, but had to put on a show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island