Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:38 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,673,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
why do so many people think that NY/LI is the best place on earth? Is it really that different and better than every other place on the planet? I was born and raised here and I am so ready to leave. Is there something that I am missing?? I don't get it. The high real estate, high property taxes, increasing crime, overcrowding, ugliness, pollution, etc...
I could do with a bit more pollution. Industrial pollution, the kind that goes with industrial jobs.

That's why I might bail to Charlotte, or someplace similar. Better place to mount the counter attack...banzai!
Attached Thumbnails
Where Would You Move To--off Of Li-weaintbeat.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 AM

81 posts, read 350,402 times
4 Cups..very funny lol
Hockey fans are the greatest of all sports.
There is nothing like a Ranger Islander game,wether at the mecca or the out house.
So what we dump millions and still can't boast 4 cups..I still love the sport!! At least you got Poti !!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 AM

289 posts, read 1,141,400 times
Correction: We HAD Poti. I still don't understand why Snow let him walk.

Mecca or outhouse... that's good too.. LOL

Hockey fans ARE the best (see, it's untrue that Rangers and Islanders fans can never agree on anything! )

Ooops, sorry for straying off topic; we now return you to your regularly scheduled program (except when the game is blacked out in your area...)

Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,662,008 times
I'm not a hockey guy, but I can't wait (hopefully) for the new development around the NC and all teh renovations to the thing. It'll be one of the best places around to go to a sporting event. Really, if it all is done like planned, it'll e right up there with some great cities stadiums/arenas.

I'll post this again for the hell of it...

Long Island Lighthouse

Old 08-09-2007, 07:48 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,095,075 times
We've looked at a lot of places and send resumes to many states! I will only list a few...

Our main goal is home ownership again. It's impossible to own a home here on my husband's wages and I would probably work no more than part-time until our child was old enough to stay at home by himself.

What is the point of 'childcare' unless you make good money and not all of it is going to that?

We are not into hot weather, though we thought seriously about going to KY. (again, affordable living). However, several things turned us off (not going to go into details as not to offend or get anyone upset here).

We tried Virginia several times but no jobs panned out.

I told my husband I am not going south. We plan to go to NH, though it's not much cheaper than here and we still haven't had luck with jobs. We enjoy nature/simple living and feel our place is somewhere north, even if it's in a modest setting.

I don't know why but it's VERY difficult to get an out of state job.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,939,542 times
gypsy, have you looked into Ithaca NY? I have heard that there are plenty of jobs there & its a good place to live.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 PM

991 posts, read 4,622,557 times
Hi gypsy, did you own a home on LI? I checked out Ithaca and Cortland greatschool, system! What about central PA really nice and great schools rochester and syracuse also have some really wonderful schools. I read your post on another thread about the hi ranches on Sunrise they are pretty but what a hideous location!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,673,148 times
Default New Hampshire

I've thought of it myself. There are paper mills there, also some other industry.

I went camping in the mountains up there, once. There are these signs, at tree line, that say:

STOP. THE AREA AHEAD HAS THE WORST WEATHER IN AMERICA. MANY HAVE DIED OF EXPOSURE HERE, EVEN IN THE SUMMER. TURN BACK NOW IF THE WEATHER IS BAD.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:32 AM

127 posts, read 521,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed View Post
. "I think New Yorkers tend to think that New York is the only place where there is life. Someone prove those New Yorkers wrong, please."

Born and raised in N.Y. now living in Texas. I can tell you the Texans think the same thing and that is why their motto is "Nowhere but Texas" and why it is called "The Lone Star State". They really mean it.
Hah! So true! I lived there for a few years, and can attest to that. Unlike New Yorkers, though, who if asked "what they are" when outside the country tend to respond with "American", those from Texas will overwhelmingly state that they are Texans.

They seem to see Texas as the ONLY state -- even as its own country. Many people talk of secession matter-of-factly.

That said, though, I would still love to live on Lake Travis in Austin.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:07 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,379,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
well each individual person will have their own reasons why a certain state or city may be better than LI/NY. We don't have immediate plans to leave Long Island but we do have a deep yearning for more land, like 15-20 acres & that is just not possible here. So in researching areas, we figured out that you can live about one hour outside of Nashville TN in a very rural setting for unbelievable prices & taxes. However we also realize that the rural areas of TN are not going to have the services we have here on LI. We would only make this move with a signifigant amount of cash savings & the proceeds from the sale our LI home & other investment properties.
I think there are very FEW places where you can earn enough money & pay little enough for a home to make a drastic change from the LI lifestyle.
For example, I know several people that sold their LI home to go to NC (cary area). Yes they were able to buy a huge mcmansion for less than what they sold their home here for, but now they have a giant house to maintain. Their taxes are low now, but once the local goverment figures out how many new schools,hospitals, roads they need to build that will change. just take Florida as an example. My BIL bought a pre-construction huge Villa in an upscale gated community with all the bells & whistles in 2002. He was able to leave his closing with money in his hand. sweet deal right? Wrong, Florida initiats the "homestead act tax", his new tax is based on the value of the house when he closed on it. So now 3 major hurricianes later his business is in the toilet, his property taxes are $14,000 a year OMFG, his homeowners insurance has a $25,000 deductible holy crap & he had his house on the market for almost $200,000 you read that right LESS than what he paid & he only had ONE person come & look at it. His upscale neighborhood is filled with for sale signs & people are starting to rent out if they can't sell-always a sure sign the end is near.
So you see the grass is rarely greener...their are ALWAYS pros & cons.
Kelly , I moved from LI , with a stop in NJ to Nashville. There are places right outside Nashville where you can have land quite cheaply. Fairview is one and a favorite of Californians who came here with the Nissan relocation. Fairview is within 30 min of Nashville.
Taxes here are cheap and you get lots for your money. I grew up in LI, and I never considered Jersey my home, but I do consider Nashville my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island