Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How could anyone possibly understand how the BOE works, please feel free to share your deep insight into the inner sanctum.
Been there, done that. Not every district's boards manage the same way however. Some are good, some are just pitiful.

And actually, there really shouldn't be any "inner sanctum". Open Meetings Laws, you know? But then, like I said before, some boards are pitiful while others are good and honest.

But hey, the taxpayers elect the board members. If they don't know who they are putting in the seat, it's their own fault for what they get in return, you know? Gotta keep on top of them, ask intelligent questions and get informed. That's the key.

Also, be friends with your administrators! Seriously. Especially your business supt - a wealth of information can be gotten from them, FOIL or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massartmom View Post
CI should be freezing/reducing pay as IS a majority of public schools on the island. Its nothing but pure greed to be taking when people are losing their jobs. Reductions should be across the board from admins (sups, prins, asst, chairs) all the way down to cafeteria workers....CI is an outrage.

Its BS that we are having to deal with this; pitting neighbor against neighbor. Everyone is due a yearly raise. This state is not broke! Coumo will be re-visiting the millionaires tax as well as the corporate tax bills next year. The state CANNOT continue to cut spending w/o raising revenue.

The investment banks got us into this mess, not the Unions. What I see on these posts is nothing but green envy. Instead of yelling at each other, we should be directing our frustrations at the govt - namely the republicans and stating loudly and firmly, TAX the RICH, NOT THE MIDDLE-CLASS.

Unions are a good thing. They provide protection in the form of due-process. There is more power in numbers and every work-place should have representation. Altho, CI is unreasonable in their demands, the voters will have a voice May 17.
A majority of districts are freezing pay? News to me! More like a dozen, maybe, out of 126.
As today's Newsday points out, it's the low wealth districts that are hurting the most right now, as they depend on state aid for a greater percentage of their budgets. They don't have the tax base to support their budget as wealthier districts do. You can't put this all on the backs of the school employees, though they certainly can help out.
I agree that unions can be a good thing, but they've got to come around with some permanent concessions to bring them in line with the reality of today's economy.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:39 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
First and foremost I agree a 9% raise is outrageous...but before you start spewing your venom, you need to check your facts.

It's the Inequality, Stupid | Mother Jones

Tax Day Question: Who's Paying What? | Economy | AlterNet

and if thats not enough......

http://understory.ran.org/wp-content..._2533x1380.jpg

The Top Ten Reasons America is Broke « progressivetoo

Increasing taxes for the wealthiest Americans and changing our corporate tax policy is only part of the equation.
9%, bad. 7-8%, good?

Your tax policy ideals are a joke, check your facts maam. ~47% of Americans PAY NOTHING TO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

Going through your links:
MotherJones: Leftist
Alternet: Leftist
Ran.org: Leftist
Progressivetoo: Leftist

What your links leave out:
MJ: That 90% of income taxes are paid by the top 10%, The top 1% adding in around 50%.

Alternet: Aside from the shear stupidity of trying to make an arguement that the rich don't pay enough then presenting facts like the top 1% paying in 5 times more vs the bottom 20% paying over a little over 0.5. The part about social security is absolutley hilarous and will be quoted often by me when I try to show how to lie with facts. The site purports to say that the rich pay a lower share of the SS tax, forgetting that SS is capped at around 90K so anything after that incurs no additional SS taxes but also payout is capped at that level so it doesn't matter. The they compare it to income without even bringing these silly little nuisances (you know, like the truth). Oops. But lets move on.

Ran: Dear lord, do these people you are trying to link have half a brain cell between them. We are OVER ONE TRILLION FOUR HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS IN DEFICIT FOR THIS YEARS BUDGET ALONE and these clowns are complaining about a paltry 38 billion in cuts.

Comparison for the obviously numerically challenged:
1,400,000,000,000 in debt every year.
38,000,000,000 what they complain about.

Of course what they also fail to say is that leftists (and to be fair many RHINOS) do not want a flat tax which would end any subsidies and deductions and make everyone pay their fair shair. Dear lord, can't have that 47% of voters actually have to pay something instead of having the .gov just hand them some free stuff.

Progressivetoo: Yeah, its not like over half the budget isn't made up of social spending that is not in the constitution. Its not like social spending hasn't increased faster then any other spending program. Its not that we have a structured system that shields almost half the people from paying income tax (or even getting EIC's, so in essence getting piad by the .gov because they didn't make enough). Nope, none of that. Its because we don't tax enough.. but we cannot have a flat tax because that would be "mean".

Come on, give me something I can't absolutely crush within 5 minutes of writing. Your links (which were cold so I actually had to cut and paste to see them) were tiresome, containing viewpoints that are neither realistic to the ccurrent fiscal situation in the US nor do they provide any insight into how to fix the problem. Instead they grossly ignore the important facts, obfuscate the issue, and attempt to draw people into another anti-corporate arguement.

To educate: the amount of income the .gov makes has stayed roughly the same. The difference is that we have overspent far outside our income instead of cutting costs and bringing our debt problems into line.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:20 PM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
CI should be freezing/reducing pay as IS a majority of public schools on the island. Its nothing but pure greed to be taking when people are losing their jobs. Reductions should be across the board from admins (sups, prins, asst, chairs) all the way down to cafeteria workers....CI is an outrage.

Its BS that we are having to deal with this; pitting neighbor against neighbor. Everyone is due a yearly raise. This state is not broke! Coumo will be re-visiting the millionaires tax as well as the corporate tax bills next year. The state CANNOT continue to cut spending w/o raising revenue.

The investment banks got us into this mess, not the Unions. What I see on these posts is nothing but green envy. Instead of yelling at each other, we should be directing our frustrations at the govt - namely the republicans and stating loudly and firmly, TAX the RICH, NOT THE MIDDLE-CLASS.

Unions are a good thing. They provide protection in the form of due-process. There is more power in numbers and every work-place should have representation. Altho, CI is unreasonable in their demands, the voters will have a voice May 17.
How can you possibly say that unions are a good thing when they negotiate 9% contracts as in the case of in CI for 10 years? Granted they had some inside help with that but the results are goingto be 40 students in the class room and higher taxes in a relatively poor district. NY State is already pays some of the highest taxes of any state and your solution is more taxes to pay for overpaid teachers and administrators?

Old 04-17-2011, 04:29 PM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
A majority of districts are freezing pay? News to me! More like a dozen, maybe, out of 126.
As today's Newsday points out, it's the low wealth districts that are hurting the most right now, as they depend on state aid for a greater percentage of their budgets. They don't have the tax base to support their budget as wealthier districts do. You can't put this all on the backs of the school employees, though they certainly can help out.
I agree that unions can be a good thing, but they've got to come around with some permanent concessions to bring them in line with the reality of today's economy.
Virtually none of the districts have actually taken a pay freeze, some have given up the cost of living increases but they have also extended their contracts with additional COLA's beyond the present contract, none have given up their step increases which almost every teacher gets. There should be complete freeze, the federal government has frozen salary increases for 2 years, the districts that have contracts coming due should do the same.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:46 PM

152 posts, read 399,967 times
RE:The majority of teachers work very hard. In high-school, we live by the bell. We are ON ever second of every day.

Really? In the HS in my district teachers actually teach for a maximum of 3:45 per day 182 times per year ( not counting, personal days, emergency days, sick days etc etc). I'd love to be "ON" as much as that every day for 36 weeks per year!
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 04-17-2011, 06:28 PM

172 posts, read 293,069 times
Quote:
You cant be serious. That's not how it works. Dear, you need to not only start educating yourself academically, but politically as well. To think all you need is to take a class and get a raise is ridiculous.

First, before you speak and start ranting about how unfair it is that teachers receive a raise, perhaps visit the nysed.gov site and follow the links for certification requirements to see the rigorous program you must complete in order to become a certified teacher. Four year undergraduate degree to start. And, of course, it doesnt end there. Within 5 years, you must complete your masters in teaching (60 credits), and after that, complete 175 hours of course work every 5 years in order to keep it.

This is just the bare bones to get into a classroom....normally (on the island anyway) you will prove yourself by subbing for a year, then do a couple of years as a permanent sub before you even begin your 3-year probationary position. Getting passed that for some, is not guaranteed.

The majority of teachers work very hard. In high-school, we live by the bell. We are ON ever second of every day. We are responsible for each and every child that walks the halls and sits in a classroom. It is an awesome responsibility and one in which we hold much pride.

The disrespect afforded by taxpayers lately is nothing more than green envy. CI is an outrage, but what they have done is not typical. The majority of schools on the island have taken a pay reduction or freeze for the next 1-2 years.

Instead of pitting neighbor against neighbor, the powers that be, namely our government, should be revisiting our millionaires and corporate tax policy. As a state and a nation, we cannot continue to cut spending w/o raising revenue. These 2 entities have been enjoying these tax benefits for decades with the promise, by them, to create jobs....they created jobs alright.....and outsourced them to other countries.

So there it is....without too much detail. Again, CI is not typical. Every workplace should have representation. Lately too many workers have been hung out to dry, alone and without a job. Union representation is a good thing. They provide protection to workers in the form of due-process. Every workplace should have one. There is more power in numbers. Plain and simple.

Start your education with an Academy Award winning film, "The Inside Job," to see where you should be directing your frustration.
I'm sorry, I'm too broke to argue with you. You are a fine example of the problem.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:01 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,998 times
Quote:
You cant be serious. That's not how it works. Dear, you need to not only start educating yourself academically, but politically as well. To think all you need is to take a class and get a raise is ridiculous.

First, before you speak and start ranting about how unfair it is that teachers receive a raise, perhaps visit the nysed.gov site and follow the links for certification requirements to see the rigorous program you must complete in order to become a certified teacher. Four year undergraduate degree to start. And, of course, it doesnt end there. Within 5 years, you must complete your masters in teaching (60 credits), and after that, complete 175 hours of course work every 5 years in order to keep it.

This is just the bare bones to get into a classroom....normally (on the island anyway) you will prove yourself by subbing for a year, then do a couple of years as a permanent sub before you even begin your 3-year probationary position. Getting passed that for some, is not guaranteed.

The majority of teachers work very hard. In high-school, we live by the bell. We are ON ever second of every day. We are responsible for each and every child that walks the halls and sits in a classroom. It is an awesome responsibility and one in which we hold much pride.

The disrespect afforded by taxpayers lately is nothing more than green envy. CI is an outrage, but what they have done is not typical. The majority of schools on the island have taken a pay reduction or freeze for the next 1-2 years.

Instead of pitting neighbor against neighbor, the powers that be, namely our government, should be revisiting our millionaires and corporate tax policy. As a state and a nation, we cannot continue to cut spending w/o raising revenue. These 2 entities have been enjoying these tax benefits for decades with the promise, by them, to create jobs....they created jobs alright.....and outsourced them to other countries.

So there it is....without too much detail. Again, CI is not typical. Every workplace should have representation. Lately too many workers have been hung out to dry, alone and without a job. Union representation is a good thing. They provide protection to workers in the form of due-process. Every workplace should have one. There is more power in numbers. Plain and simple.

Start your education with an Academy Award winning film, "The Inside Job," to see where you should be directing your frustration.
I love it, in order to understand teaching one would need to educate themselves politically. I couldn't have put it better myself.

You call the program for teachers rigorous? Rigorous? Really? You need to come off cloud 9 and realize that the teaching programs on Long Island are as cushy as exist on the graduate level. I have a friend that teaches at Connetquot who will be the first to tell you that Suffolk Community College was more difficult than his Bachelor's from St Joe's and his Master's from Dowling.

I'm sorry, but rigorous is a word reserved for Ivy League Med schools and not Long Island teaching programs. Is that the level of work ethic of Long Island teachers, that they think the programs on Long Island are rigorous?

The person you replied to was referring to the increases teachers get based on credits above Master's, so reading comprehension much?

I don't doubt that teacher's work hard, but so do day laborers, garbage men, postal workers, and used care salesmen. You want hard work, rough a house for electrical wiring during the dead of winger, then come back and tell me what hard work is. Working hard has no bearing on pay, we've gone over that countless times on these forums.

Please spare us all the selfless plea and the "awesome" responsibility. Bus drivers hold the same level of responsibility and I don't see teachers donating their salaries for bus drivers to get a fair shake.

The disrespect is in direct correlation to the tax burden that you have placed on your community. Every where else in the country teacher's are talked about in high regard, and I wish it were that way on Long Island. However, teacher's and the schools as a whole have made it so difficult to sustain a family on Long Island for the average working person.

Your argument is that we should tax the rich, but that has nothing to do with my school taxes doubling over the past 7 years and my commercial taxes doing the same over 5 years. Stop trying to run interference on you neighbors by blaming others for your greed. Honestly, the most amazing thing is the reaction of teachers on these boards. The arrogance in your post and self righteous attitude is not going to garner you any favor with someone on the fence, you are just going to push them even further into the camp that will eventually force the issue.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:38 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,357 times
Quote:

Lose your attitude ! Why do so many teachers think their jobs are so difficult? You knew what was required when you went into the profession.

Most professions today require you stay on top of your game to stay employed. If you don't stay current, you lose your job. In the real world there is no insular comfort zone of tenure !!!.
Enjoy your week off .

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 04-17-2011 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:

Please explain to me how the Repubs have anything to do with the teachers pay raises.

Green with envy? Not really. Most of us are fed up with paying handsomely toward pensions and benefits which many of us can no longer afford to -- because of our property taxes. There are plenty of LIers who aren't making gobs of money who have to leave because they can no longer afford to pay $10K on a 50 year-old cape.

New teachers facing tight LI job market

" In addition, enrollments on Long Island are trending downward, projected to drop 7.6 percent over the next five years, which could force some districts to consider closing or merging schools."

Student population is cyclical but we are losing more young families with children (on top of a natural wane in enrollment) because taxes for the most part make LI unaffordable for their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island