Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 12:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massartmom View Post
First and foremost I agree a 9% raise is outrageous...but before you start spewing your venom, you need to check your facts.

It's the Inequality, Stupid | Mother Jones

Tax Day Question: Who's Paying What? | Economy | AlterNet

and if thats not enough......

http://understory.ran.org/wp-content..._2533x1380.jpg

The Top Ten Reasons America is Broke « progressivetoo

Increasing taxes for the wealthiest Americans and changing our corporate tax policy is only part of the equation.
Dear Genius,

Property taxes are not income based.

Also, corporate tax policy has absolutely NOTHING to do with local PROPERTY TAXES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Here, Here....Wow! I guess you really told this 55 year old systems analyst who walked into a classroom for the first time in 2002. I suppose it doesnt make much difference to you that since then, I have been excessed twice; most recently a month ago. Yes, I have no position, no job in September 2011...and yes, I am tenured, have been for some 6 years...definition for tenure: due-process...not a guaranteed job for life!....how's that for attitude?

Its been easy for me over the last ten years having the acumen of analyzing systems to appreciate the fiscal inefficiencies top down in a district. As I posted previously, CI is an outrage but the majority of districts are freezing pay or taking a reduction. Districts have seen this coming for years. Negotiations have been on-going. Tiers have been modified accordingly. Where are you getting all this crap? Ah....wait... it must be Newsday.

Newsday is NOT the end all be all of school district information. When have they ever printed anything positive about public education? If it is your soul source, shame on the lot of you.

I refuse to defend the teaching profession. If any of you had a shred of rational intelligence, you would see that trashing teachers will kill the profession and trashing Union advocates is absolutely nonsense. Tax bills will continue to come due, tax bills will continue to rise. If you think your tax liability will change, youre kidding yourself. This is much bigger than teacher salaries.

In the end, the only ones that will suffer are the kids...cuz the adults just can't get their **** together.
LOL. Take a look at this bigwig teachers' union advocate:

Teachers Union Representative.

Nobody needs to "trash" him.

He does it quite well himself.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,998 times
Quote:
Youre exaggerating of course...1 sup = 10 jobs. And almost 10 years isnt long enough? And no, I was not part-time. FYI, excessive salaries are a thing of the past; attrition thru retirement.

But I have a question for you, are you advocating that a person who has worked 25-30 years in a position not be compensated fairly? How much do you expect to make after working for 25-30 years? That is, of course, if you can remain at a job after 10 years. Typically, in today's workplace, once you reach the top of your salary bracket, youre a target and not long after, youre history. Because of this economic mess we're in, I am happy to know that the "powers that be" in my district have to follow every letter of the law before they even hint at letting a teacher go. Unfortunately, I am the last one in (my department) so the first one out.

Who do you think is going to hire a 55 year old washed-up analyst turned public school teacher? ha!
If you want job security in the real world then take less money. You become a target when you don't produce beyond your salary. It's simple math and the problem I have with the public unions is that they defy this law of business because "it's for the children" and "you wouldn't want upset teachers."

I don't get why one teacher should make 3-4x what another teacher makes. Do they teach 3-4x as many students? Are those teachers with 25 year experience helping their students to score decidedly higher on SAT/Standard tests? In my estimation, no they are not.

I'm sorry that you were fired, but if you don't see a problem with the current system............

Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Youre exaggerating of course...1 sup = 10 jobs. And almost 10 years isnt long enough? And no, I was not part-time. FYI, excessive salaries are a thing of the past; attrition thru retirement.

But I have a question for you, are you advocating that a person who has worked 25-30 years in a position not be compensated fairly? How much do you expect to make after working for 25-30 years? That is, of course, if you can remain at a job after 10 years. Typically, in today's workplace, once you reach the top of your salary bracket, youre a target and not long after, youre history. Because of this economic mess we're in, I am happy to know that the "powers that be" in my district have to follow every letter of the law before they even hint at letting a teacher go. Unfortunately, I am the last one in (my department) so the first one out.

Who do you think is going to hire a 55 year old washed-up analyst turned public school teacher? ha!
Baltimore and New Orleans school districts come to mind if you really want to teach.

OR go back to being an analyst. Study up and get the latest microsoft or java certs. I know people who don't even have their degrees in CS and got these certs and have programming jobs.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,357 times
Quote:

quite honestly, if the public school systems had any fiscal sense, they SHOULD hire you. It would be much more cost effective for them (you would most likely never max out on salary and would not accrue a high pension) , there would be no need for "leave replacement" during childbearing years , and you would probably do a much better job than most of the young , polished "Heathers" (anyone remember the movie ?) that are in the educational system today.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 PM

172 posts, read 293,069 times
Massartmom: Who do you think is going to hire a 55 year old washed-up analyst turned public school teacher? ha!

Freerunner: I don't know, the same people who hire all the other washed up unemployed 55 year old people? Why should teachers be in a special protected class, guaranteed 80% of their salaries till they die?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 AM

41 posts, read 46,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
"Fairly compensated", sure. They can get a 3% raise each year, give a bonus for teaching AP courses.

They don't deserve 2-3x inflationary raises.
They don't deserve 50% higher benefit packages.

Lets say we have teacher A and teacher B. Teacher A is a typical LI teacher with 20 years, Teacher B is what we'll deem a "fairly compensated" teacher.

Both start out at 45K.
Teacher A gets 8% raises and LI Benefits.
Teacher B gets 3% raises and normal benefits.

Teacher A makes 113xxx after 20 years with an average of ~104K in total compensation for a rough total of 2,080,000.

Teacher B makes 70xxx after 20 years with an average of ~74K in total compensation for a rough total of 1,480,000.

The outrageous payouts that teachers currently saddle the taxpayers with costs us a little 25% of a teacher over a 20 year period. Think of the children, have teachers "fairly compensated".
Ok, again youre exaggerating; a typical teacher does not receive an 8% raise each year. Can we keep CI out of this. I agree, when people are losing their jobs, everyone needs to step up. My district is taking 1%. btw, Lets leave the kids out of this. At this point you are attacking me and my livelihood. I dont take kindly to that. No one would or should.

Your analysis is staggering. Good job. But your numbers are as inflamed as are your words. Besides that, let me ask you a question. Is 3% enough? When inflation out paces that number as it did in the 70s, 80s (topping out at almost 15) and the 90s, is that fair? I dont think so....and if its acceptable to you, well then this discussion is over. Typical 3% raises work when the economy is rolling along and inflation is hovering around that number. But when its not, (and it wont in the near future) what's a worker to do. Do you think for one moment, employers are calculating COLA into their raises for you. ha! I think not. Luckily, I have representation that is paying attention to the economy and fights for its membership. I'm sorry if you dont have that and must go it alone.

I submit to you this country is not broke. Corporate welfare is the culprit. Tax policy has been basically rewritten over the last 30 years to benefit the wealthy and corporate. Bush sealed the deal in 2006 by lowering the capital gains, investment and gutting the estate tax. When the 10 top corporations in this country make record profits (in the billions) yet pay no or close to no income taxes, it affects all of us, especially the ones on the bottom....us, the little people as they like to call us. When Warren Buffet who makes approx 43 billion a year yet falls into a 15% income bracket lower than his secretary, something is wrong. Links not supplied...do a search; its all over the web.

Here's a formula for you. Youre good with numbers. Take the profit of any one of these corporations and multiply that by your income tax rate. Better yet, do this with the top 5 money makers and add them all together. Lets see if we can solve this debt crisis. Get back to me.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
If you want job security in the real world then take less money. You become a target when you don't produce beyond your salary. It's simple math and the problem I have with the public unions is that they defy this law of business because "it's for the children" and "you wouldn't want upset teachers."

I don't get why one teacher should make 3-4x what another teacher makes. Do they teach 3-4x as many students? Are those teachers with 25 year experience helping their students to score decidedly higher on SAT/Standard tests? In my estimation, no they are not.

I'm sorry that you were fired, but if you don't see a problem with the current system............
Your post goes beyond irrational thinking. Sorry no reply

Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Dear Genius,

Property taxes are not income based.

Also, corporate tax policy has absolutely NOTHING to do with local PROPERTY TAXES!
Actually, that's not true. Way back, when tax rates were higher, there was something called revenue sharing. According to Wiki:
Quote:
United States government revenue sharing was in place from 1972-1987. Under this policy, Congress gave an annual amount of federal tax revenue to the states and their cities, counties and townships. Revenue sharing was extremely popular with state officials, but it lost federal support during the Reagan Administration. In 1987, revenue sharing was replaced with block grants in smaller amounts to reduce the federal deficit.
In other words, revenue sharing was eliminated when Reagan cut federal income taxes. Since most of those cuts in income taxes were on high income Americans, income taxes on the upper bracket caused revenue sharing to be stopped which aided local community property taxes. Thus, rises in local property taxes can be traced to decades of cutting taxes on the wealthy on the federal level.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 AM

A message from this 55 year old recently excessed teacher: Your post is as irrational and short-sighted as your words. Its quite apparent, teachers have had a negative impact on your life. Do a little research on corporate welfare and tax policy and if you can come back and have an adult conversation, without the staving personal attacks, I will consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island