Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
yes. thanks. I had just never heard it put that way before.
Really? That's funny...LI is about BRs and plot size. In Manhattan, EVERYTHING IS ALL ABOUT Sq. Ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 02:57 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Really? That's funny...LI is about BRs and plot size. In Manhattan, EVERYTHING IS ALL ABOUT Sq. Ft.
This is where floor plan comes into play.

Ive been in houses with greater Sq Footage that feel smaller than my Ranch

Generally Capes and some Colonials feel tight to me.

C

Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 PM

553 posts, read 1,935,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomcute View Post
Hi,

Are there asian people living in Mastic at all? I am buying a house there and want to know if I will be the only asian person living there.
Do you think Mastic is a good place for me to live? I mean provided I might be the only chinese looking guy in the neighborhood.

Thanks.
Stay away from that area. Unless you are a crack head then you can just ride your bike to the dealers.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,379 times
Angry 35 years in shirley

i have been living in shirley for over 35 years.taxes are out of control.the crime rate is on the rise.why? would any one want to move to shirley.all night long you hear the cars and bikes drag racing on william floyd pkwy, if i hear it how come the cops don't.every jerk off that drives by my house has no exhaust and a boom boom stereo system, you guys are a cancer in this town.you can not get good take out any place in that area,they think that the people in this town are all trash and you can serve them sh_t food.the only nice part is smith point beach but you will be stopped by the police as soon as you come over the bridge.then we have the local supermarket, some one needs to tell jose, he needs to open more registers at 5:00pm . after you wait in line you can stop by home depot and they will most likely be out of stock on almost every thing.or you can just hop in the car and go to lowes in patchouge.i have noticed that any thing i need i must leave shirley to get it.then if you want to get to know who you live with just stop by one of the laundry mats.thistown sucks do not move here

Old 10-11-2007, 05:37 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Did you ever notice Shirley has something like three or four 'dollar stores'? (I know this because my sister lives there.) Tells you something. It's so congested on William Floyd and the lane changes are enough to make you sick.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 PM

270 posts, read 964,700 times
I live in Yaphank just north of the lie on william floyd. Whatever you do, don't go shopping at the Pathmark on the corner of montauk highway and willaim floyd. I would be surprised if there haven't been any shootings there. it is really nasty there! Horrible!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,295 times
Looking at buying a home on Laurel Dr in Mastic Beach.

So many posts listing pluses and minuses. I grew up in Mineola, moved to Wilmington NC and want to come back home to LI- nothing in the world like it.

Not too concerned about break ins, I am a former SWAT officer and K9 trainer with 2 shepherds with major inter-personal relationship issues

I spend 95% of my time out of country (in Iraq) as a military contractor so my wife and 10 y.o. son would be home solo most of the time.

Looking for real, honest opinions and not 7 out of 10 ppl are on dope. Not even a crack house has those kinds of stats.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111 View Post

So many posts listing pluses and minuses. I grew up in Mineola, moved to Wilmington NC and want to come back home to LI- nothing in the world like it.

Not too concerned about break ins, I am a former SWAT officer and K9 trainer with 2 shepherds with major inter-personal relationship issues

I spend 95% of my time out of country (in Iraq) as a military contractor so my wife and 10 y.o. son would be home solo most of the time.

Looking for real, honest opinions and not 7 out of 10 ppl are on dope. Not even a crack house has those kinds of stats.
As a military contractor traveling to Iraq, you have made a concious decision to place yourself in harm's way.

As a SWAT officer, you have made a concious decision to place yourself in potentially precarious situations.

As a parent, would you deliberately place your child into a place that will place him around more crime, drug dealing, prostitution, etc?

You have had plenty of LIers (and former LIers) write about Mastic -- it's not the place to raise a child if you can afford to do it elsewhere on LI. My friend couldn't wait to sell her house to get her children out of Mastic.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
and when there are so many nicer places that you have to choose from.....

Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default and being from mineola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111 View Post

I agree and support the sentiment that Mastic is not a strong choice to raise a family if other options are available. Also, given your growing up in Mineola, even if Mastic were not such a troubled area it is light years away from the pace and style of a Mineola. I currently live in Suffolk, and have lived in Nassau and Queens, so you might be looking for a change of pace relative to where you grew up...but the long island that you love (nothing in the world like it) is not to be found in Mastic...Whether or not you buy into the dramatic responses of people loving or hating it, if an area gets enough residents on the board discussing crime, drugs and not enjoying it - my guess is to look elsewhere. I've rarely felt compelled to move somewhere in the hopes of proving others wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island