Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 05:10 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think you mean Hillside Avenue.

That is quite a bit north of Valley Stream. We don't intersect Hillside Avenue at all.
My Bad.

Is that Bellerose?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
My Bad.

Is that Bellerose?
More like North New Hyde Park.

A map of the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:

North New Hyde Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address, with a small area having a "Floral Park, NY 11001" mailing address.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The Herrick's School district covers a large area and the Asian population ( Korean, Indian & Pakistani) exceeds 50% of the population in the district. The area for homes in the district are New Hyde Park, Herrick's, Garden City Park and Albert son. The map is very irregular so I would ask your Realtor to show you homes in that district.
If the OP goes to Herricks, the best way to get to Manhattan might be to take the N22/N22A, or N24 bus to Jamaica, and then take the subway. It would definitely be cheaper than the LIRR. See this map: http://www.mta.info/libus/mapnassaubus.pdf (broken link)

It will take maybe 20 minutes longer, but you'll save a lot on your commute. (NOTE: The N22 also serves Hicksville, so if the OP moves there, he'll have the cheaper option, but it will take longer)

Since the bus system will soon be privatized, the service levels might be a little bit worse (though Nassau County will most likely pay the private company on a per-run basis, so service might increase), but you'll still have that option.

If nothing else, you can drive down to Mineola, where you'll have the same options as Hicksville, plus the LIRR Oyster Bay Branch.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 PM

6 posts, read 10,556 times
Default Office in Ronkonkoma, NY (Long Island)

I am posting for first time on this forum, have lot of hopes.

Friends please suggest me best schooling district and apartment community with good number of Indians near Ronkonkoma, NY

My office will be in Ronkonkoma, NY but may often travel to NYC.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:09 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Syosset,

Old 09-25-2013, 07:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Indians and Asians are a bit funny sometimes. Great Neck used to have the best schools on Long Island in the 1970s. Over time the Asians who are attracted to good schools and proximity to NYC moved in by the masses.

However, many were first generation and English was a second language and over time they overwelmed the school district and they are not that great anymore. They are moving on to Manhasset, Jericho, Syosset, etc. Other schools perceived as good.

Trouble is overwelming schools with one nationality where the majority English is a second language kills SAT scores, English Regents scores etc.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 10,556 times
So what I understand areas like Syosset, Manhasset and Jericho have good schooling districts. Please share good apartment communities in this area.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:38 AM

157 posts, read 285,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Indians and Asians are a bit funny sometimes. Great Neck used to have the best schools on Long Island in the 1970s. Over time the Asians who are attracted to good schools and proximity to NYC moved in by the masses.

However, many were first generation and English was a second language and over time they overwelmed the school district and they are not that great anymore. They are moving on to Manhasset, Jericho, Syosset, etc. Other schools perceived as good.

Trouble is overwelming schools with one nationality where the majority English is a second language kills SAT scores, English Regents scores etc.
They found a way around this: schools now offer Chinese. So their poor English skills are somewhat negated by them testing higher Chinese. Doesn't help SAT scores though.

We were close to buying in Syosset but we noticed every open house we went to was dominated by Chinese prospective buyers, then driving around and stopping for lunch I observed that many of the kids there were skinny east asians with thick glasses and they'd sit around comparing calculator functions. I decided I didn't want my kids to grow up in that sort of environment so settled for Old Bethpage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island