Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,387 times

Advertisements

Another "barrel picking" from the Predators in Elmont !

Unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 AM

Sometimes it's a little dangerous to walk to the station too.

Down past Duffy's...ahem...Third World Rental Properties and the businesses..especially that trucking business that's TOO BIG for it's own space, and you have to, literally, DODGE tractor trailers, back and forth across the residential street, because they use it as an additional parking lot. It's NOT a cake walk, FOR SURE.

From the other direction, that is Broadway, it's sometimes, educational, populated by street hostesses.

The gas station, there, was the site of an AM murder-robbery a year or so ago.

All in all, it's A Winter Carnival !

Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 AM

106 posts, read 337,540 times
I resided in Hicksville with Bethpage schools for twenty years then moved to Suffolk. Sold in Suffolk and will move to SW Florida.
Went back recently and Broadway (107) has really gone ethnic.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuota View Post
I resided in Hicksville with Bethpage schools for twenty years then moved to Suffolk. Sold in Suffolk and will move to SW Florida.
Went back recently and Broadway (107) has really gone ethnic.
Especially Indian, as I'm sure you noticed.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:09 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Especially Indian, as I'm sure you noticed.
Yeah ... but ... they will not wreck the neighborhood and cause problems for everyone else! I am sure for the most part you will NOT find Indian kids spraying graffiti all over the place, joining gangs, committing crimes and vandalism. They will more likely be found studying! I remember recently an Indian boy from Hicksville placed high (3rd I think) in the National Spelling Bee.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yeah ... but ... they will not wreck the neighborhood and cause problems for everyone else! I am sure for the most part you will NOT find Indian kids spraying graffiti all over the place, joining gangs, committing crimes and vandalism. They will more likely be found studying! I remember recently an Indian boy from Hicksville placed high (3rd I think) in the National Spelling Bee.
Yeah, maybe they are in front of their computers ?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times
Nice stereotypes are still stereotypes....

The real answer is that the kids from families with upper middle class parents who push them to do well in school don't get in trouble. If their parents don't do that, south Asian kids can get in trouble just like anyone else. I could tell you horror stories from when I lived in the UK.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Nice stereotypes are still stereotypes....

The real answer is that the kids from families with upper middle class parents who push them to do well in school don't get in trouble. If their parents don't do that, south Asian kids can get in trouble just like anyone else. I could tell you horror stories from when I lived in the UK.
Yeah, I know it's oversimplified. However, that is the way most Indian kids I have met here are. And yes, their parents do bust their chops to study and stay out of trouble.

As for the UK, doesn't it have a very good welfare state and attract more of the "bottom of the barrel" types and illegal aliens than the US does? I read an article about illegal immigration in Europe and it said that at the tunnel from France to England, throngs of people from places like Africa and SE Asia have set up homeless camps and are all looking to get into the UK and want someone to put them in the trunk of their car and smuggle them through. (The article said that these people do not want to stay in France because France is very stingy in terms of welfare entitlements for illegal aliens.)

Old 10-28-2009, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,049 times
first off.... queens is not that bad... people are sayin that hempstead is better than queens... i disagree... remember queens is made up of many towns, so you need to be a little specific, i will say hempstead is alot worse than alot of queens towns.. for instance, bellerose, queens village, forest hills, richmond hills, bayside... these towns are way better than hempstead.. id say hempstead is equivelant to jamaica... as far as hicksville goes... it's no where close to looking like queens... just like any town, the deeper u go into it, the more u find out about it, so if you only look at hicksville near 106, and 107... u havnt looked deep enough.. thats all on the outside.. look further, and maybe u will find a very pleasent place to live... GET REAL PEOPLE..im not from hicksville, im from east meadow

Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM

264 posts, read 878,400 times
As someone who has lived in Hicksville for two years, I think it's a great place to live.
Hicksville may not be Kings Point or Syosset but JESUS CHRIST.. it's not Hempstead or even Huntington Station.
Hicksville is comparable to Oyster Bay/East Norwich and has a school system which is similar to that of Plainview (and Plainview is more expensive- making Hicksville the better buy)
People on this board are talking about Hicksville like it's a washed-away ghetto.

Most of the negative comments about Hicksville seem to be somewhat racist in nature.. I feel sorry for those who are so narrow-minded as to choose to live in a community based on the percentage of white people who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island