Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:29 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcmcw View Post
What? I don't hate south nassau I've been foloowing your comments and you are so negative. Why?
I was going to ask you the same thing

Whats with the attiude?

You didnt agree with my opinion(which is fine).
You do know youve been hissyfittin' ever since.

I try to joke with you and youre totally defensive.
Im done.

Lets agree to disagree.
I wish you well

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 PM

7 posts, read 20,156 times
Default Baldwin

Read the replies to the inquiry about moving to Baldwin. Very interesting, but I gotta tell you that they are more than borderline racist. It's amazing how folks suddenly see all these flaws in a neighborhood once more people of color move in.

Will have lived in Baldwin 19 years come this June; my daughter graduated from the H.S. in 2007 and my son is currently a sophomore there. IMO it's remarkable how much the hamlet has NOT changed over the years. The area is probably more congested than it used to be b/c more two-earning couples moved in which can mean more than one car parked in the street and overall higher levels of traffic.

But aside from these observations, it appears that many of the replies were colored (pun attended) by posters' prejudices. Yes, there have been problems at the H.S., but name me one high school -- even in Long Island's affluent areas -- that hasn't had its share of problems. Do we not remember what happened at Mepham High in Merrick a few years ago? Did anyone hear that Oceanside has an alarmingly high STD rate? Or that there have been incidents at Rockville Centre's South Side High School that manage not to have been widely reported, probably because the village has its own police force? I know of what I speak.

So you see, much of what's been said about Baldwin really comes from folks' lack of comfort with being around people of color not a serious deterioration in the neighborhood. Almost 90% of graduates get their Regents Diplomas, and a significant percentage obtain more prestigious diplomas.

I do agree that Rockville Centre (RVC) is a very nice area and that its schools are highly rated. And, the village does have a nice walkable downtown area. However, it is not very diverse and, perhaps more important to the budget concious, it's very expensive. Generally, speaking you have to spend upwards of $600,000 -- yes, even in today's market -- for a starter home, e.g., three bedrooms with 1.5 to two bathrooms, but the house might still need a fair amount of work.

Oceanside is less expensive than RVC, and I believe its schools perform well, though not as well as RVC's. It's more expensive than Baldwin and a lot less diverse.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Rhmart,
How many times do you have the post the same reply? I also live there for almost 16 years and just moved Dec. 08. If thats the only changes you'd seen,............. I suggest you take off those blinders

Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Oh I just realized you are brand new (May 09). 6 posts of the exact same cut and paste job. Please you expressed your opinion already

Old 07-28-2009, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,932 times
I live in Baldwin now for the past 3 years and went to the high school. It's definitely close to a lot of things including the mall, the city, and the beach which are all plusses but as far as things to do that are in the town there isn't much. There is a really nice park though. The schools are fine I had some awesome teachers and the people in the administration have actually been extremely helpful to me. The economy has kind of killed business but it's by no means a dangerous neighborhood you can walk around by yourself at night and I assure you nothing will happen. I honestly think the only reason why some people have such negative views is prejudice. It's a legitimately diverse town and some people are scared of people who don't look like them.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhmart View Post
Read the replies to the inquiry about moving to Baldwin. Very interesting, but I gotta tell you that they are more than borderline racist. It's amazing how folks suddenly see all these flaws in a neighborhood once more people of color move in.

Will have lived in Baldwin 19 years come this June; my daughter graduated from the H.S. in 2007 and my son is currently a sophomore there. IMO it's remarkable how much the hamlet has NOT changed over the years. The area is probably more congested than it used to be b/c more two-earning couples moved in which can mean more than one car parked in the street and overall higher levels of traffic.

But aside from these observations, it appears that many of the replies were colored (pun attended) by posters' prejudices. Yes, there have been problems at the H.S., but name me one high school -- even in Long Island's affluent areas -- that hasn't had its share of problems. Do we not remember what happened at Mepham High in Merrick a few years ago? Did anyone hear that Oceanside has an alarmingly high STD rate? Or that there have been incidents at Rockville Centre's South Side High School that manage not to have been widely reported, probably because the village has its own police force? I know of what I speak.

So you see, much of what's been said about Baldwin really comes from folks' lack of comfort with being around people of color not a serious deterioration in the neighborhood. Almost 90% of graduates get their Regents Diplomas, and a significant percentage obtain more prestigious diplomas.

I do agree that Rockville Centre (RVC) is a very nice area and that its schools are highly rated. And, the village does have a nice walkable downtown area. However, it is not very diverse and, perhaps more important to the budget concious, it's very expensive. Generally, speaking you have to spend upwards of $600,000 -- yes, even in today's market -- for a starter home, e.g., three bedrooms with 1.5 to two bathrooms, but the house might still need a fair amount of work.

Oceanside is less expensive than RVC, and I believe its schools perform well, though not as well as RVC's. It's more expensive than Baldwin and a lot less diverse.
Mepham is in Bellmore, NOT merrick...and do you know what happened to the town after that incident? Gangs, tons of crime...and a total turn-over of a once very nice neighbourhood. If you don't believe me, that's fine, I lived there for 26 years...I moved out b/c of the crime there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island