Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:51 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How could they expect to save up for a house in 2 months?

That doesn't make any sense on their part.
They never said they were only going to stay 2 months, I just meant that if you think staying 2 months is enough time to save up for a home or rental it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthe516 View Post
Hi! I grew up in Plainview but moved to Florida to live with my dad when I was 14. I really dislike it here and am moving back to the island with my husband. My cousin has a house in Levittown that he is letting me and my husband stay in until we get situated but we only want to stay there for about a month or two.

I haven't lived on the island in 7 years and I am wondering a few things.

1) How soon should we start looking for a job? We will be moving in May when our lease here ends. Should we start applying in February?

2) Both my husband and I have primarily worked at restaurants and were wondering if we'd have a better chance getting a job if we applied somewhere in the city rather than on the island?

3) We want to move into our own place as soon as we can, what is the average rent for an apartment in a safe area for a 1 bedroom?

4) When looking online for rentals, I saw that most of the time it was a room or basement in someone elses home, and they typically only want one person living in it, not a married couple. Do most people who rent out part of their home really not want a couple?

And lastly;

5) My friend is living in Ridge and paying 900 a month which is pretty cheap for the island but I heard it's a bad area. Does anyone have any opinions on Ridge? It's near Coram.
Forget working in the city if you are living in Ridge. And $900 is very uncommon for rent....you will most likely be paying more. Let's also not forget...if you are staying here you need to get NY plates and it costs a buttload to insure a car on LI...a lot more than it costs for FL.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM

56 posts, read 130,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Forget working in the city if you are living in Ridge. And $900 is very uncommon for rent....you will most likely be paying more. Let's also not forget...if you are staying here you need to get NY plates and it costs a buttload to insure a car on LI...a lot more than it costs for FL.
I've already considered the plates. However for insurance, I'm currently paying 280 a month and I got a quote for where I used to live in Plainview and where my cousin lives in Levittown and for the same exact coverage it was going to be 170 a month.. so it's actually cheaper than what I'm paying here for insurance.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM

239 posts, read 509,546 times
Stay out of LI now. Past 10 years it has become overcrowded, overpriced, and sky rocket taxes. Very hard to get a good job on LI compared to other areas (even though the economy is awful everywhere).
I would suggest moving to San Diego, Denver, or upstate NY if you don't mind the cold in the winter.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Why is it that so many posters want to tell people what they should/shouldn't do with regard to coming (back) to Long Island?

Old 12-10-2011, 04:04 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,039,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Why is it that so many posters want to tell people what they should/shouldn't do with regard to coming (back) to Long Island?
Especially ones that don't live here anymore.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthe516 View Post
My cousin lives in Levittown & I will be living with him until my husband and I save up more money. We won't be able to tell how much we want to pay per month until we find jobs and know how much we'll be making and how many hours we'll get. I'd like to be as close to Plainview as possible just because that's where most of my family and friends are but anywhere will be okay. I'll have to guess that $1,500 will have to be our max.

I'd prefer not to live in NYC, Queens, Brooklyn, or Bronx though. I just don't like those areas.

I understand that we will probably be struggling for a while and it makes more sense to wait to move however I have multiple trust funds and one of them was for $130,000 that I got when I turned 20 (the others I won't get until I'm 25, 27, & 50) and I made sure that I couldn't take it until I turn 23 so that I don't waste it and I want to use it to buy a house somewhere in NY (not necessarily Long Island, possibly upstate)

I want to move as soon as possible because I want to go to one of colleges in NY (Florida's education system is horrible) and I don't want to pay out of state so I need to get my residency before applying.
Ridge isn't very close to Plainview so I would cross that area off your list of places to live. If you don't mind me making a suggestion, why don't you figure out where you want to go to school first and then look for work in relation to that. I wouldn't want to work in the city and go to school in Stony Brook at the same time.
Good luck and welcome back.

Last edited by nassau2suffolk; 12-10-2011 at 04:45 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 05:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,997 times
I live in Ridge, if you have specific questions about the area I'd be happy to help. I do not think it is reasonable to live in Ridge and work in NYC unless you are earning a very high income. There are no good train lines this far east and even a monthly pass from ronkonkoma to Penn would probably be out of your budget. I drive into manhattan at off peak times very often and it's a 80 minute trip with zero traffic.
I do think there are rentals in Ridge for $900 for month but they are probably very small.
There are a lt of restaurants in Huntington, Port Jefferson, Riverhead and in the Hamptons (although those are seasonal) if you decide to live in eastern Suffolk those areas may be better for work for you.

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:39 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Especially ones that don't live here anymore.

Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe they're talking/ giving advice/opinions from real experiences. Some people don't realized how much better they could live in other places Some post to correct misconceptions and give a real life prospective on a move off the Island.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe they're talking/ giving advice/opinions from real experiences. Some people don't realized how much better they could live in other places Some post to correct misconceptions and give a real life prospective on a move off the Island.
It has crossed my mind. However some of them come here to this forum with one intention and that is to bash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island