Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 AM

84 posts, read 166,380 times

Advertisements

The roads in Nassau County have become raceways, the drivers act like threatening savages, and you don't see one damn cop on the road EVER! I mean it, you never see one cop on the road ANYWHERE in Nassau County. This emboldens people to behave like absolute animals on the road. Yesterday I was put in twelve (yes I counted them) TWELVE serious accident situations between my house in Bethpage and the Farmingdale Home Depot in the next town! WHERE THE HELL ARE OUR COPS???!!! We're paying all this money to have our streets patrolled and monitored and it is not getting done AT ALL! I mean you don't see one cop on the road EVER! It's a free for all of threatening aggressive savages with no one around to do anything about it. This is what we're paying 60 percent of our county tax bills for??? The Nassau County Police Commissioner should be fired immediately and be replaced with someone who knows how to monitor and deploy his police force! The situation has gone beyond ridiculous to the point of LETHAL! Apparently all our police officers think they're supposed to do is show up after the accidents occur with a stretcher and a broom, they do not try to PREVENT any of it from happening to begin with! Sorry but I am so sick of the animalistic behavior of people on the roads I'm ready to gather up a posse and start enforcing the law ourselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Good, speed limits are retardedly low. Let the police do police work and not act as a de facto tax collector.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
The roads in Nassau County have become raceways, the drivers act like threatening savages, and you don't see one damn cop on the road EVER! I mean it, you never see one cop on the road ANYWHERE in Nassau County. This emboldens people to behave like absolute animals on the road. Yesterday I was put in twelve (yes I counted them) TWELVE serious accident situations between my house in Bethpage and the Farmingdale Home Depot in the next town! WHERE THE HELL ARE OUR COPS???!!! We're paying all this money to have our streets patrolled and monitored and it is not getting done AT ALL! I mean you don't see one cop on the road EVER! It's a free for all of threatening aggressive savages with no one around to do anything about it. This is what we're paying 60 percent of our county tax bills for??? The Nassau County Police Commissioner should be fired immediately and be replaced with someone who knows how to monitor and deploy his police force! The situation has gone beyond ridiculous to the point of LETHAL! Apparently all our police officers think they're supposed to do is show up after the accidents occur with a stretcher and a broom, they do not try to PREVENT any of it from happening to begin with! Sorry but I am so sick of the animalistic behavior of people on the roads I'm ready to gather up a posse and start enforcing the law ourselves...
If more police patrols were added, would you complain about the increase in taxes?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Good, speed limits are retardedly low. Let the police do police work and not act as a de facto tax collector.
This.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
Traffic enforcement is just one of a number of responsibilities of local police. With the numbers of Nassau cops dwindling rapidly (more than 40% in the past 40 years), and calls for service rising rapidly, traffic enforcement becomes a lower priority. Bottom line is that cops who are busy answering calls aren't writing tickets.

Then again, "...free for all of threatening aggressive savages ..." is a bit over the top and doesn't describe the problem. And you need to be a bit more detailed on the "TWELVE serious accident situations" you encountered on your drive. Everyone's perceptions of situations is different.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If more police patrols were added, would you complain about the increase in taxes?
#1 they have 500 less cops than 10 years ago.

#2 Mangano has slashed every unit in the department

#3 he refuses to hire more cops

#4 he froze all cops salaries while hiring hundreds of special interest hires . Do you think they have any respect for Mangano?

#5 the cops are busy handling accidents domestics robberies etc.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
#1 they have 500 less cops than 10 years ago.

#2 Mangano has slashed every unit in the department

#3 he refuses to hire more cops

#4 he froze all cops salaries while hiring hundreds of special interest hires . Do you think they have any respect for Mangano?

#5 the cops are busy handling accidents domestics robberies etc.
I am well aware of that. My rhetorical question was for skylander, who complained about how much of his taxes go to the NCPD. This same person would be groaning if his/her taxes went up to address the issues they perceive as being attributable to the lack of police officers.

In general: isn't part of the area the OP complained about patrolled by SCPD
(F'dale)?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:

(F'dale)?
Thus we can conclude that situational awareness is not the OP's forte and if that is the case it invalidates the whole premise of this discussion.

Perhaps the thread should be titled
"does anyone know a good optometrist??"

Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 AM

137 posts, read 249,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Traffic enforcement is just one of a number of responsibilities of local police. With the numbers of Nassau cops dwindling rapidly (more than 40% in the past 40 years), and calls for service rising rapidly, traffic enforcement becomes a lower priority. Bottom line is that cops who are busy answering calls aren't writing tickets.
I've begun to think we may have the remedy all wrong. Maybe we don't need more Police Officers but rather, we need to include a patrolling force of psychologists endowed with the powers of Police Officers. These increasing numbers of maniacs on the road and elsewhere are the products of maladaptive civil/social behaviors. How'z about some forced re-education in Psych. Camp?

Seriously, the Police are stretched a might thin. Summertime means a lot more volume on the roads, many are new inexperienced drivers, some are young folk with something to prove. An increasing aging population still on the roads creates challenges, too. Bad economies increase criminal activity & violence. The drug epidemic is taking a toll. The Police are wearing many hats today.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:57 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,810 times
Quote:
I am well aware of that. My rhetorical question was for skylander, who complained about how much of his taxes go to the NCPD. This same person would be groaning if his/her taxes went up to address the issues they perceive as being attributable to the lack of police officers.

(F'dale)?
Very true and if he got a ticket he'd be the first person on here complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island