Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

With all the talk about high taxes, auto insurance and gas costs here...What costs less on LI than other areas?

Here are a few I can think of:
1. No Vehicle Property Taxes
2. Health Insurance
3. Water - and no shortages here
4. Generally no HOAs to worry about here
5. No need laying out for private school as most of the schools are good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
With all the talk about high taxes, auto insurance and gas costs here...What costs less on LI than other areas?

2. Health Insurance
I used to sell Group Health insurance as part of my financial planning practice and Long Island has always been on the HIGH side of premiums, sorry to say.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
NY in general is cheaper for health insurance though. Better options too. BCBS is pretty much the only game in town in NC, with United Health Care running a distant 2nd. We are paying the same amount for health insurance here as we did in NY but the plan isn't nearly as good. $1,000 a month anyway you slice it.

Vehicle property tax - that's a wash and overall I'd disagree that cheaper in NY....at least in NC you don't pay tax when you buy the car, and when you get the bill every year it's on the depreciated value of the car. Also only cost me $33 to register each car.

Food is taxed in NC, but not for most food in NY. I have mixed feelings on this.

Water. Yikes. Can't get much cheaper than LI.

HOA - pay almost $600 here, but I'd pay almost $500 to join the Garden CIty pool, which was on the other side of town, not down the street, and the HOA here supports other seasonal activities throughout the year.

I've seen no difference in the schools between where I live and where we moved from...if anything we've gotten way more one-on-one attention from the teachers down here even though they make way less money. No question I am getting way more for my money here.

Last edited by twingles; 01-22-2012 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Quote:

2. Health Insurance
You know, I'm self employed and do a split from Chicago to LI. So, I pay all of my individual, non-group, IL BC/BS premiums for my family; $487 per month with a high deductible. When I compared an Empire BCBS similar plan, I was quoted $3275 per month. So, I'm not sure how it's less here. My vehicle tax is about $25 per vehicle per year.

Speaking of BS, we have boat loads of it on LI for free, myself included, and it's our best resource.

Last edited by gag; 01-22-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:

2. Health Insurance
1) Vermont has no vehicle property taxes. Registration fees and insurance are much cheaper than here.

2) $1,500 a month with high copays in NY. I can't speak for VT, but $1500 is rather pricy.

3) VT well water $0. Even with testing and maintenance, it is cheaper than the pittance I pay here.

4) Not m/any HOAs there

5) Schools in general are good. Like LI, there are some iffy school districts.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM

Oh, here's one. Takeout food - cheaper in NY. I think it's because of the tax on food when you buy it.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I used to sell Group Health insurance as part of my financial planning practice and Long Island has always been on the HIGH side of premiums, sorry to say.
ditto

Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Oh, here's one. Takeout food - cheaper in NY. I think it's because of the tax on food when you buy it.
There's a Chinese restaurant two towns over (VT) which offers a 10% discount because they don't deliver. Their food is very good, so it's not like they're hurting for business. Imagine a place on LI doing that?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There's a Chinese restaurant two towns over (VT) which offers a 10% discount because they don't deliver. Their food is very good, so it's not like they're hurting for business. Imagine a place on LI doing that?
HA!! Probably the amount they save on gas is worth it to them.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:

2. Health Insurance
Comparing Long Island, which is suburbia, to other suburban areas that are equidistant from their cities? Not much. I could compare my rent to Arlington, VA, and say it's a little bit cheaper, but I'm much further from NY than Arlington is from DC. Likewise, can't exactly compare Long Island to a city proper, like San Francisco.

I disagree on the health insurance. Not only is it more expensive here, with insane deductibles, the health system itself is a racket. Most doctors in other parts of the country will write you scrips for 6 months to a year for basic things like blood pressure meds. Here, they want to see you every three months. Cha-ching goes the office visit! And not for nothing, I don't think the care here is any better. In some cases, I've found it to be worse.

What you don't pay in car tax, you pay in ridiculous registration and other fees. Unless you are in a drought-ridden area, there is no real difference in water. Private school is going to be a choice no matter where you are, simply because some people want their kids to get a Catholic or other religious education.

Okay, HOAs, I'll give you. In other parts of the country, you'll pay money for your neighbors to get up in your business. Here, they do it for free.

Hate to say it, Peqs, but Long Island is not exactly a value-added place to live. You pay more and get less for just about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island