Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:14 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times

Advertisements

We drove past a huge homeless shelter/outreach program, I think in Hauppauge but I am not sure.

I cannot recall the name of it or the address, but I believe it was on Vet's Mem Hgwy.

But I could be wrong, and be confused at the town this was really in.

Does anyone know what I am talking about, where it is located and what is it's name? Just doing some neighborhood research and it is bugging me that I do not know where I was when I saw this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 05:18 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,036 times
I think its Passages rehab (next to Amy Fishers lawyer) by 454/347 merge in Hauppauge

Its been there forever

DWI oupatient stuff I think

It seems harmless.

C

Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
Amy fishers lawyer dosnt have his office there anymore.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:56 PM

Ok Clamboy. That is the location for sure.

Don't know exactly what is there. Maybe it is a bunch of social services of different organizations in that location and I thought it was just one big rehab/shelter type bldg. I have to pass by another time to see what it really is. Thanks for providing location.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:05 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
I believe it's a Phoenix House.

That's been there for years!!!! (although it wasn't always a Phoenix House, but it's always been drug & alcohol rehab services.) They used to do a lot of car washes as fundraisers back in the day, don't know if they're still doing that.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:32 AM

That's it! Thank you. I recall the name after seeing you write it! Phoenix house.

Thanks for solving that mystery for me.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 AM

15 posts, read 102,118 times
Default harmless???

Let me preface my statements by mentioning that I am a psychiatrist, and have worked in an urban setting for years...

Yes, there are some "clients suffering from an addiction" who will be referred to these places. Unfortunately, addiction is the only "disease" which correlates with crime and generally antisocial behavior. These facilites are not filled with cocaine addicted stockbrokers and alcoholic judges...

Stanton Samenow, whose works were referenced in the final episode of the Sopranos, wrote extensively about this. Unfortunately, society is all too willing to accept that all of the antisocial behaviors were the effect of the alcohol or drugs. Samenow, however, found that criminal behavior generally precedes illicit drug use. One needs only to look at Florida congressman Mark Foley (who pursued underage male pages) and any other number of high profile persons (Isiah Washington etc.) caught in a misdeed who effectively plea-bargained down in the court of public opinion by pleading guilty to the lesser offense of "addiction" and going to rehab.

Enterprising drug dealers also tend to flock to where their potential customers would be found. This is the reason that methadone maintenance clinics are a great place to find cocaine and xanax (as well as alot of unemployed people who will be in your neighborhood and your empty house when you are away at work).

This is the real reason that Rudy Guiliani wanted to put an end to methadone maintenance in NYC. Not because of "substituting one addiction for another", but because methadone clinics are magnets for criminals and and the idle, non-working class.

I would NOT buy a home anywhere near a place like this!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman18 View Post
Let me preface my statements by mentioning that I am a psychiatrist, and have worked in an urban setting for years...

I would NOT buy a home anywhere near a place like this!

Thank you for your perspective. How far away would be comfortable in your opinion, as an educated professional, serious question? .5 mile? One mile? Two?

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 09-05-2007 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-05-2007, 03:22 PM

When I look on that site, they do not seem to list Hauppauage as a location. In fact, it appears you have to email them to get the locations. They only list admissions offices. I find that very interesting unless I am missing something.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
When I look on that site, they do not seem to list Hauppauage as a location. In fact, it appears you have to email them to get the locations. They only list admissions offices. I find that very interesting unless I am missing something.

Just Google "Phoenix House Hauppauge NY".

Here's the listing:
Phoenix House
220 Veterans Hwy
Hauppauge, NY 11788
(631) 979-0944
(631) 979-0922
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island