Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times

Advertisements

Sick kids love waiting for a bus to come and then drive them 40 minutes home, bouncing all over the place. Sounds great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 06:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightwatersBound View Post
All of the questions about driving to/from the Woodhull School, driving on the sand, driving past the lighthouse, etc. don't need to be raised at all. The buses provide the transport from Bay Shore and the buses even do it if the child gets sick in the middle of the day or something akin to that. That's part of the beauty of this arrangement. It really is unique. I completely see it as getting a private-school quality education for an extremely reasonable tuition. I also confirmed that there is a second round of bus transport at the end of the day for those kids who choose to participate in after-school activities (did I mention these were free??) The parents' only responsibility is to get the child to Bay Shore in the morning and pick them up there when they return. The trip itself takes about 35-40 minutes, which is not much more than (or is even equal to) the time many kids spend riding on bus loops within their own districts. And the school is in such a wonderful setting. I've made many decisions that I questioned afterward or wrangled over, but this is one I feel so good for having done. I am giddy about it.
With all due respect, no one is knocking the program. Those of us who are patents, who have children in school, who have had experience driving the beach, are merely trying to give you some perspective. The bus is still going to be subjected to the conditions given previously. If there's a Noreaster and the tide is up, there is a good chance the bus isn't getting off FI that easily - if at all.

Think about when you are sick with a stomach virus. Add getting jostled and bounced in a school bus from the school to the lighthouse, and then the ride back to Bay Shore. Now place yourself in a 5 year-old's spot. Depending upon the nature of the illness, they might not transport the child.

Even for a healthy young child, that's an excessive daily ride.

One has to ask why the district is advertising this? Do they need to bring in more revenue to make up for shortfalls? There was merger talk for FI not too long ago.

You know what's best for your child. No one is trying to tell you what to do, we're merely pointing out issues we have experienced to make you aware of potential problems. With children, anything goes.

Best of luck.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 AM

721 posts, read 1,567,536 times
My parents both worked when I was growing up. I had to wait for someone to come pick me up if I was sick and my parents both worked at least 30 minutes away. I survived. It was just the way things were.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,536 times
There are no cars allowed on Fire Island for the majority of the year unless you have a resident pass to operate a vehicle there, so the idea of picking up your kid when sick might not be as easy as it sounds.

Also, if you did need to take a ferry to get your kid, there are very limited schedules throughout the winter (Ocean Beach is definitely better than others, so that's good) but still a challenge. Lastly, if the bay freezes or if the weather is not cooperating, the ferry operators have been known to stop service. I have been there through hurricanes in the offseason and they do an amazing job, but there is still that to think about.

Personally, I think you should visit the school and ask your kids what they would want to do as well. This is not about being used to a 5-minute commute as much as it is that the school is much more isolated than most. You still seem to have a lot of homework to do.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 PM

198 posts, read 779,593 times
Are kids sick MOST of the school year?

So even if a kid does get sick and has to wait for you to somehow hire a helicopter to pick them up, it would happen so rarely that the benefits might outweigh this particular con?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM

603 posts, read 2,092,677 times
Where do kids in the Fire Island School District go to high school? I believe it's only an Elementary district?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Where do kids in the Fire Island School District go to high school? I believe it's only an Elementary district?
According to Fire Island School District, " ... students choose between the Bay Shore and Islip school districts to complete their secondary public school careers."

Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Those who live on FI would go to Bayshore or Islip as Walter Greenspan has indicated. Those who are not from FI but are paying tuition to attend most likely will have to go to secondary schools within their home district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island