Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,395 times

Advertisements

Ah, one of the benefits of working in the higher ed sector...you won't see me on the road tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
work from home full time for an IT company. The only way I don't work is if the power is out.

Wife works in midtown and they're closed. Good, she can watch the kids all day instead.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
During blizzards, hurricanes, and other unsafe conditions, people should stay home unless they are providing a truly essential and urgent service. If you are busy at work, then work more overtime later in the week or work on a weekend or holiday. The roads should be saved for the people who really need them. How would you feel if you were driving to work during a hurricane or blizzard, for no reason other than thinking it would enhance your career or you don't want to work overtime another day, and you got into a car accident that killed an emergency room nurse who was providing an urgent service, who absolutely needed to be on the road that day?

Like I said, the company I work for, smartly, is closed tomorrow (Monday, Oct. 29). They did not close during any of the blizzards in 2010 or 2011 (or any other year since I've been there). I hope that none of the jerks that I work with decide to go to work anyway.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:42 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
During blizzards, hurricanes, and other unsafe conditions, people should stay home unless they are providing a truly essential and urgent service. If you are busy at work, then work more overtime later in the week or work on a weekend or holiday. The roads should be saved for the people who really need them. How would you feel if you were driving to work during a hurricane or blizzard, for no reason other than thinking it would enhance your career or you don't want to work overtime another day, and you got into a car accident that killed an emergency room nurse who was providing an urgent service, who absolutely needed to be on the road that day?

Like I said, the company I work for, smartly, is closed tomorrow (Monday, Oct. 29). They did not close during any of the blizzards in 2010 or 2011 (or any other year since I've been there). I hope that none of the jerks that I work with decide to go to work anyway.
I work on LI about 60 miles east of the city. There is nothing going on outside and as far as I know(as of 2 minutes ago) my office is open. To tell the truth I don't see why not. There is nothing really going on outside.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 AM

372 posts, read 740,953 times
Went in and got my computer yesterday as I had a feeling that they'd be closing and I'd have to work from home, and sure enough that's what we were requested to do, as we are needed to support our other offices nationwide.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:11 AM

212 posts, read 262,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I work on LI about 60 miles east of the city. There is nothing going on outside and as far as I know(as of 2 minutes ago) my office is open. To tell the truth I don't see why not. There is nothing really going on outside.
Have fun driving home this afternoon/evening.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:18 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
WOW! A bit harsh there aren't we?

Have you ever stopped to think that there are some of us who work for companies that are necessary regardless of the weather? Working for the gas and electric utility we can't just take off because it's a bit windy, rainy or snowing. I'm thinking that folks like yourself would be the first to cry because they have no gas/electric and no one is there to help them. Folks don't like it if we tell'em that there's nobody here to fix their utilities because all our employees stayed home due to the bad weather. Try and remember that there are ALOT of people that need to go to work regardless of the weather or if it's a Holiday. Work on Christmas, 4th of July or what have you it's part of the job. This is not a complaint, just a statement of fact. I actually like what I do.

Lighten up there bud, the "moron" or "imbecile" on the road might just be the guy who's climbing the pole to get YOUR electric restored, working on pipes to get YOUR gas/heat back in service or doing one of many jobs that need to stay manned 24/7 to maintain the services on this Island we call home....
This is so right! I think I love you right now lol

Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
Jdawg, what field or business are yo in?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Ok, "morons, imbeciles and jerks" - maybe a bit strong?
Believe it or not, some of us actually care and love what we do for a living, as rare as it may be. Others may have other motives.

Stony Brook University is closed (no classes), but I will go in tomorrow, conditions permitting, since there are a number of things to take care of. A lot of our equipment is not on emergency power, so I have to preempt losing stuff due to power outage at the university. Similarly, small business owners probably are not thrilled to have a day (or days) off...
Ding ding ding! Nailed it

Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
And good luck and stay safe no matter what your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island