Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:30 AM

339 posts, read 933,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

yeah, if you live by yourself with your cat and have no relatives on LI, then you were good.
Wow, that describes me to a T.

I readily admit if I had a wife/kids/in-laws/ it's a whole different ball of wax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Oh, give me a break with this! The smugness in your posts makes me want to vomit . You were lucky--not smart. 8 hours downtime? No family, in-laws, or relatives to house/transport, or job to drive to?...yeah, if you live by yourself with your cat and have no relatives on LI, then you were good. And very lucky to have power after 8 hours. Go read your generator manual again. You would've burned through your jugs by Thursday. If you had places you needed to drive to and on top of that you were still with no power, then what? You certainly wouldn't be posting on city-data how you outsmarted everyone else. Please .
So much of this type of attitude going around. I have plenty of refugess staying with me. Glad to see you made it through OK Pequa.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 AM

7 posts, read 16,325 times
i will say what was a little messed up was that getting gas yesterday the big lit up sign in front of the station still said $3.89 but on the pumps they changed the prices to be $4.29 and had that price posted on the smaller sign on the pump...nice way to show that you're gouging...but i guess i should be happy it wasn't gouged as much as i've heard from other places...

Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochcol View Post
It seems logical now, with the power outages and the extra gas used for generators, but I never heard any warnings ahead of time about filling up on gas. The 'annual storm of a lifetime' is a real recent phenomenon ;-p
It's one of the first things I've always heard you should do, and I absolutely see it on every emergency prep list I've ever seen. How do people think gas pumps run, by magic? How do they think gas gets to an island, by magic? Yes, there is probably only so much gas the average suburbanite can stockpile. But really, many of these people weren't caught awares, we all know damn well they were simply saying "NOT US!" Countless stories of people who went into this with no - zero - supplies. If you gassed up your car and you've been commuting, not much you can do - I don't think anyone is referring to those people.

Bottom line, people did very little prep for this storm. I've heard plenty of stories of people running out of food by Tuesday night and not having flashlights and batteries. It's not just the gas - that's just the most visible problem. It's unfortunate that this badly needed wakeup call had to leave people in such dire conditions.

Glad to see the regulars returning and hopefully no one has too much damage. Everyone can get over a lack of gas and too much cereal!

Last edited by twingles; 11-04-2012 at 06:59 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM

721 posts, read 1,567,391 times
We filled up both cars Sunday. However, we still have no power and are staying with relatives 40 miles from my house. I burned my gas checking on my elderly aunt who lives on the south shore and doesn't drive and picked my brother up from Queens bcs he had no power or water in the city.

Unfortunately my car has a very small tank but I got gas on Thursday morning in Rocky Point. No wait. My car with the big tank is home in the driveway of my house with no power but I don't want to burn gas going back and forth.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's one of the first things I've always heard you should do, and I absolutely see it on every emergency prep list I've ever seen. How do people think gas pumps run, by magic? How do they think gas gets to an island, by magic? Yes, there is probably only so much gas the average suburbanite can stockpile. But really, many of these people weren't caught awares, we all know damn well they were simply saying "NOT US!" Countless stories of people who went into this with no - zero - supplies. If you gassed up your car and you've been commuting, not much you can do - I don't think anyone is referring to those people.

Bottom line, people did very little prep for this storm. I've heard plenty of stories of people running out of food by Tuesday night and not having flashlights and batteries. It's not just the gas - that's just the most visible problem. It's unfortunate that this badly needed wakeup call had to leave people in such dire conditions.

Glad to see the regulars returning and hopefully no one has too much damage. Everyone can get over a lack of gas and too much cereal!
Your smugness from afar is really over the top.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
Filled up on Monday.

Will not, will not, will not sit in a line for 6 hrs for gas. Will ride my bike and stay frugal till this passes.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Your smugness from afar is really over the top.
Therein lies the problem. Storm prep is not smugness. If a worse storm happens next year, guarantee you'll still find the same problem in the aftermath. The gas is one thing (as I said) - but people with no food and flashlights? That's reasonable? I'm being smug? Guess what I stockpiled last week??? For a storm that wasn't predicted to come within 500 miles of me.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Therein lies the problem. Storm prep is not smugness. If a worse storm happens next year, guarantee you'll still find the same problem in the aftermath. The gas is one thing (as I said) - but people with no food and flashlights? That's reasonable? I'm being smug? Guess what I stockpiled last week??? For a storm that wasn't predicted to come within 500 miles of me.

Who are the people with no food and flashlights? Two people interviewed on the news? Where are you getting your info from? I am here and I haven't met one person that had no food or batteries.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:

Here we go again with the CD forum "I'm so smart" people coming out of the woodwork.

"I'm smart, I don't have a big mortgage payment and wasn't affected by the housing bubble!!"

Translation: My parents gave me 20% on a house in 1999.

"I'm financially stable in a southern state!! I'm a financial genius!!"

Translation: I'm collecting a tax payer funded disability pension that is only possible due to the corruption and heavy tax burden of the place I used to live. Those people I thumb my nose at are the reason I can live this way.

Find another hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island