Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Here we go again with the CD forum "I'm so smart" people coming out of the woodwork.

"I'm smart, I don't have a big mortgage payment and wasn't affected by the housing bubble!!"

Translation: My parents gave me 20% on a house in 1999.

"I'm financially stable in a southern state!! I'm a financial genius!!"

Translation: I'm collecting a tax payer funded disability pension that is only possible due to the corruption and heavy tax burden of the place I used to live. Those people I thumb my nose at are the reason I can live this way.

Find another hobby.
Great (and true!) post!!!! --- and let's not forget those who were "given" their houses by parents or grandparents yet brag how they have no (or an extremely low) mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM

721 posts, read 1,567,391 times
I had food and batteries. I'm not an idiot. I just have 2 little kids and no power still after a week.

I'm not whining or complaining about that, I know how severe the outages are, but it really sours me to see that people from out of state have time to come here to point and laugh. I used up my gas taking care of family members who either do not drive or do not have a car.

We are lucky that our house is fine and we have been staying with family but my kids have not been to school in over a week which means I have not been able to work. I freelance so no work= no pay.

I am starting to feel frustrated. This gas thing sucks. I would like to do more to help with recovery but the gas situation holds me back. It feels like the rest of the country has forgotten about us. All people want to talk about is the stupid marathon and stupid fake stories about non-union crews from out of state and political BS.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
People haven't forgotten. The infrastructure left much to be desired even before the storm so it's no surprise that it failed the way it did. Everyone wants better infra but nobody who will benefit wants to pay for it. When Typhoon Ketsana hit Metro Manila, power was out for only 1 to 1.5 days max in non-severely flooded (as high as 2+ story buildings) areas and that was when Metro Manila wasn't prepared for the typhoon. How the NYC metro area went on w/o power for a week or more is astounding.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
Moderator cut: language removed I am not waiting in Line. We filled up Last sunday and still have half a tank in my car and hubby has 3/4 tank plus we have 6 gallons extra in a gas can. Trying to conserve my gas but if work opens tomorrow I'll see what happens. The valero on 111has a 2 mile long line to get gas.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-04-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM

200 posts, read 456,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil View Post
i will say what was a little messed up was that getting gas yesterday the big lit up sign in front of the station still said $3.89 but on the pumps they changed the prices to be $4.29 and had that price posted on the smaller sign on the pump...nice way to show that you're gouging...but i guess i should be happy it wasn't gouged as much as i've heard from other places...
I don't know about others but I'm personally willing to pay $5 a gallon to not wait...if that was an option...heck, even $10 a gallon. I hate waiting 5 minutes in line for gas, let alone 5 hours!

We've been blessed to have "cheap" gas prices for so long, compared to Europe.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
Some guy pulled up to me while in line at Hess and offered a gallon of gas for $50. He was going car to car with his Prius. He drove off when I jumped out of the car. Always nice to see someone try to take advantage of a bad situation.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:37 PM

112 posts, read 218,497 times
Whoa !! If I can get $50 for ONE gallon of gas I'll syphon it out of my lawnmower to sell !!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
If this doesn't get straightened out soon your going to see people stealing gas from people's tanks most definitely.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM

112 posts, read 218,497 times
The neighbors right next door had gas syphoned out of one their cars just last night.

I've got a locking cap on mine.

If I catch any low-lifes doing this to anyone , anywhere , I'll bash their heads in !!!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM

200 posts, read 456,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Some guy pulled up to me while in line at Hess and offered a gallon of gas for $50. He was going car to car with his Prius. He drove off when I jumped out of the car. Always nice to see someone try to take advantage of a bad situation.
$50 for 1 gallon? geesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island