Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Bitter......party of one........your table is ready.

Seriously though, sorry that you were not prepared......and to set you straight heres a little info for ya'......

1) I grew up on eastern long island. Friends and family that are local, salt of the earth people, including blue collar laborers and local farmers. One of the best things i could have asked for is a relationship I have with my buddies father, a local farmer. Always told me to be prepared for anything.

2) Our vehicles, 2010 Silverado and a 2008 Honda civic. I live 3 miles from work, my wife, 2 miles from work.

3) My cat.......he doesnt drive, so i'm not worried about his fuel consmption. But if he did, i would have bought more gas for his vehicle to last a good week.

4) Relatives, sister and husband who have accomodations of their own to live through a storm ( camper , generators and extra fuel ). My mother, hopped a flight down to florida two days early and left a car with a full tank of gas just in case ( see point #1 about being prepared ).

5) My generator will run for 20 hours on 5 gallons of gas on 1/2 load.......longer on less load. If anybody was dumb enough to run their generator all day and night, to try and power their homes......bad idea. Run it for an hour in the morning to cool off the fridge. Another hour after work and another hour before bed. Otherwise it would be light by candles and lanterns.

6) My vehicle is a flex fuel truck ( gas or e85 ethanol ). Both stations by me still have ethanol, so the driving that I need to do is not an issue. Beleive me when I took that into consideration when I fueled up before the storm. I also had an 3rd 5 gallon jug of ethanol, just in case. 3 five gallon jugs of fuel total.....and 5 gallons in the generator.

I'm sorry that you got pissed off at my post, sorry that i'm not as worse off as others, but if I was, I would have lasted much longer than many of those who didnt take the storm seriously enough. Dont crusify somebody who lived up to the boyscouts motto......

I was never a boy scout though........always seemed kind creepy.
Whatever you say. All of a sudden you magically found a 3rd Jug.

Enjoy your salmonella and sleeping in a freezing house with your cat next go around .

I'm sure camping in 38 degree will put you much better off than everyone else. That is your goal, right? You got lucky with only 8 hours of power outage. Most of us were just inconvenienced a bit. Let's leave it at that and hope other less fortunate people in devastated areas can get some of our luck instead. Or do you wanna join the expat crowd and cheer for more carnage to hit those who already lost everything?

Man, some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 PM

251 posts, read 588,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Whatever you say. All of a sudden you magically found a 3rd Jug.

Enjoy your salmonella and sleeping in a freezing house with your cat next go around .

I'm sure camping in 38 degree will put you much better off than everyone else. That is your goal, right? You got lucky with only 8 hours of power outage. Most of us were just inconvenienced a bit. Let's leave it at that and hope other less fortunate people in devastated areas can get some of our luck instead. Or do you wanna join the expat crowd and cheer for more carnage to hit those who already lost everything?

Man, some people.

see, you failed to retain the information I presented to you. Sorry about not mentioning the extra jug of ethanol.....had GAS on my mind with the original title to the thread. Now, on to your eroneous reponse......... I wont be in 38 degree weather, camping outside during the next HURRICANE.......i was prepared....and will be for the next one as well. Geez, i guess the educational system in this country is far worse than originally thought.......lack of reading comprehension being evident here.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
6am.....i noticed the lines appeared shorter but still quite long in western nassau/queens. The lines for the container only seems almost to none. I do think its improving but hard to measure by just looking at 6am in the mornning

Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Obama could have relaxed the requirement of adding Ethanol to the gas and that would have sped up its arrival at the pumps So Why Not ???

Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochcol View Post
I've heard of people waiting 12 hours for gas? Curious, why? To keep generators running? If it was just for driving, I'd have put the effort into some carpooling arrangement and avoid any unimportant driving.

It seems logical now, with the power outages and the extra gas used for generators, but I never heard any warnings ahead of time about filling up on gas. The 'annual storm of a lifetime' is a real recent phenomenon ;-p
I remember hearing ever since I was a child that before a hurricane it is advisable to fill up your gas tank and your bathtub.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Filled up Sunday before the storm and lasted...
Down to less than 1/4 tank and need to shuttle back and forth to my house while it's beeing "untreed" so I can get inside. Found a location this morning that didn't look too long, but it still took two hours! 1973 revisited

But I have a full tank now!!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
last weekend northern queens seems worse than Nassau LI. Today Nassau LI looks worse than Northern Queens...Its probably due to that far more LI people drive to work than Queens folks

I saw people sleeping in their cars this morning waiting for the delivery in my area. northern Queens line seems to be shorter & has gas

Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 PM

339 posts, read 933,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Filled up Sunday before the storm and lasted...
Down to less than 1/4 tank and need to shuttle back and forth to my house while it's beeing "untreed" so I can get inside. Found a location this morning that didn't look too long, but it still took two hours! 1973 revisited

But I have a full tank now!!
Similar situation here. I filled up the Saturday before the storm and was down to close to 1/4 tank. Went on a line this morning and from beginning to end took about 40 minutes. Full tank now.

Also wanted to say the Hess station in Farmingville did a great job keeping the cars moving. I guess they've had a lot of practice over the past few days.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM

339 posts, read 933,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I remember hearing ever since I was a child that before a hurricane it is advisable to fill up your gas tank and your bathtub.
Same here. I always try to never let my tank get under a half a tank in normal times. But if I hear a blizzard or bad noreaster is coming, I top off my tank.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 PM

200 posts, read 456,739 times
Lines are still crazy long.....my car is good for another 70-80 miles tops before E light comes on.....

right now I'm at 353 miles since last fill up.....my car can go to 420, 430 miles before E light comes on......My daily commute round trip is 30 or 40 miles, 30 if i take local and 40 if i take highway......I give it 2-3 more days before I have to wait in line......ugh............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island