Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:36 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
I do agree that the MTA and the LIRR in particular are horrible at managing their budgets and that ticket punchers are overpaid and over benefited. I do not agree that the service is as horrible as you make it out to be. I rode the LIRR every day from Cold Spring Harbor to Penn everyday for more than 20 years and still commute most weekdays. The service really isn't not that bad if you maturely accept that things happen and they are going to cause delays. Trains break, equipment malfunctions, weather happens. The larger the system, the more problems can occur. I was incredibly impressed with how quickly the LIRR recovered from Sandy. The LIRR is the only commuter rail that operates 24/7 in the US. Weekend service is more frequent than weekday service is many cities. It's pretty impressive when you think about it.

Unless you have a an advanced degree in railroad infrastructure engineering, you might want to accept that you probably have a very limited understanding the scale and complexity in maintaing the second busiest rail system in the US.

The Paris RER is the one I'm most familiar with. Ever ride it? It makes the LIRR's cars look like Rolls Royces. It will shut down once or twice a year for a day when the rail workers strike. Gare du Nord fills up just like Penn Station does if there is a major delay during rush hour. This stuff is par for the course when you regularly commute to a major city.
The Conductors are not overpaided , the Average salary is 45k now....and you pay into your benefits. Maybe in the past they made more , but not recently except a few near retirement.... But 45k is average for Public RR's , its 65k for Private RRs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelmo View Post
For the MTA it sure is. That would be a nightmare as it's taken over 5 years to complete the 1 mile from Sunnyside to GC
Well to be fair that tunnel is complex , Urban and goes through soft soil along with super hard soil....those tunnels usually take longer. There are a few in Japan that have taken over 10 years to build , or a Tunnel in Taiwan which took almost 20 years to build....

Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
I do agree that the MTA and the LIRR in particular are horrible at managing their budgets and that ticket punchers are overpaid and over benefited. I do not agree that the service is as horrible as you make it out to be. I rode the LIRR every day from Cold Spring Harbor to Penn everyday for more than 20 years and still commute most weekdays. The service really isn't not that bad if you maturely accept that things happen and they are going to cause delays. Trains break, equipment malfunctions, weather happens. The larger the system, the more problems can occur. I was incredibly impressed with how quickly the LIRR recovered from Sandy. The LIRR is the only commuter rail that operates 24/7 in the US. Weekend service is more frequent than weekday service is many cities. It's pretty impressive when you think about it.

Unless you have a an advanced degree in railroad infrastructure engineering, you might want to accept that you probably have a very limited understanding the scale and complexity in maintaing the second busiest rail system in the US.

The Paris RER is the one I'm most familiar with. Ever ride it? It makes the LIRR's cars look like Rolls Royces. It will shut down once or twice a year for a day when the rail workers strike. Gare du Nord fills up just like Penn Station does if there is a major delay during rush hour. This stuff is par for the course when you regularly commute to a major city.
You really don't know what you're talking about, though I'm glad your 1+ hour commute has been to your satisfaction.

I'm sure there are many examples of poorly run or insufficiently maintained railroads throughout the world. I'm glad you know first-hand about this, it really shows me, right?

Bottom-line is the LIRR is way overpriced for the quality of service and it provides a level of service that is way below where it should be. There is no excuse for this. The proof is just north, where Metro North runs. They just expanded the number of off-peak scheduled trains on a couple of lines. The trains are admittedly dog-eared, but it provides an adequate level of service.

You don't need an advanced degree in 'railroad infrastructure engineering' to know the LIRR is incompetent and your points don't hold water with any experienced LIRR commuter veterans.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 AM

325 posts, read 737,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
You really don't know what you're talking about, though I'm glad your 1+ hour commute has been to your satisfaction.

I'm sure there are many examples of poorly run or insufficiently maintained railroads throughout the world. I'm glad you know first-hand about this, it really shows me, right?

Bottom-line is the LIRR is way overpriced for the quality of service and it provides a level of service that is way below where it should be. There is no excuse for this. The proof is just north, where Metro North runs. They just expanded the number of off-peak scheduled trains on a couple of lines. The trains are admittedly dog-eared, but it provides an adequate level of service.

You don't need an advanced degree in 'railroad infrastructure engineering' to know the LIRR is incompetent and your points don't hold water with any experienced LIRR commuter veterans.
Aw, you made me sad

You're clearly much more learned and erudite in your deep and nuanced understanding of the Long Island Railroad, railroads in general, and, well, everything involving Long Island. Probably just everything in general. I defer to you.

Even as a third generation LIRR commuter whose been riding for nearly three decades, I could never hope to hold a candle to your level of LIRR discernment. I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Thank you for putting me in my place as I ride to work at my businesses that allow me to easily pay my taxes, thoroughly enjoy the area in which I live, own a lovely home and yes, even pay the (minuscule to me and most of my fellow commuters) $299 monthly ticket - which really is minuscule in terms of time and money involved if I were to try to drive to work. What are my other options? Helicopter? Teleporter?

My suggestion to you - If you are so unhappy with our amazing metro area and are so bitter about your inability to hack it here that you need to go on the internet to consistently whine about everything, you might want to relocate to one of these places you seem to know about where they have free magical trains that don't break nor experience delays. I don't know how old you are (I get a younger, more immature vibe, as your know-it-allness reminds my of my teenage son), but you might want to adopt a more mature attitude about things. The service isn't that bad.

Last edited by h-tonian; 01-07-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Aw, you made me sad

You're clearly much more learned and erudite in your deep and nuanced understanding of the Long Island Railroad, railroads in general, and, well, everything involving Long Island. Probably just everything in general. I defer to you.

Even as a third generation LIRR commuter whose been riding for nearly three decades, I could never hope to hold a candle to your level of LIRR discernment. I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Thank you for putting me in my place as I ride to work at my businesses that allow me to easily pay my taxes, thoroughly enjoy the area in which I live, own a lovely home and yes, even pay the (minuscule to me and most of my fellow commuters) $299 monthly ticket - which really is minuscule in terms of time and money involved if I were to try to drive to work. What are my other options? Helicopter? Teleporter?

My suggestion to you - If you are so unhappy with our amazing metro area and are so bitter about your inability to hack it here that you need to go on the internet to consistently whine about everything, you might want to relocate to one of these places you seem to know about where they have free magical trains that don't break nor experience delays. I don't know how old you are (I get a younger, more immature vibe, as your know-it-allness reminds my of my teenage son), but you might want to adopt a more mature attitude about things. The service isn't that bad.
Oh hey, thanks... thank you very much.

I'll take your suggestion under advisement ;*

BTW, I hear the Norwegians are working on a teleporter. You may want to give them a call... since you mentioned it.

What more can I say? Have a nice day and enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island