Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times

Advertisements

Headline in Newsday... Of course, those of us who are LIRR victims know the LIRR on-time performance stats are among the biggest jokes in the history public transit. Abysmal service that will cost you even more in March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Headline in Newsday... Of course, those of us who are LIRR victims know the LIRR on-time performance stats are among the biggest jokes in the history public transit. Abysmal service that will cost you even more in March.
So, not a comment? It's actually quite funny when you think about it.

Well, we'll have the fare increases in March, which I like to think is getting less for more. And the MTA is lobbying Albany hard to reinstate those regressive and penal payroll tax surcharges.

Isn't comforting knowing the LIRR will continue provide atrocious service while promising a never-ending string of fare increases to keep it's party going.

Cheers!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
next thing to cook the books will be if your train arrives on the same day it left it will be considered on time.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
next thing to cook the books will be if your train arrives on the same day it left it will be considered on time.
Even better, why not shut down the entire railroad when it rains or flurries or if a signal tower explodes? It works for snow and hurricanes This is not to say that I'm even intimating they should have been running during Sandy, though I am saying it took better than 6 weeks for them to get back to normal. Unconscionable in the face of a major fare hike.

Let's face it, the LIRR's record over the last five or so years has been abysmal. But, begging the riding public's pardon, it's not their fault.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 PM

162 posts, read 383,458 times
i take the lirr everyday for the last 4 years and do not have any problem at all, one saturday i was delayed 40 minutes. because kids were on the track.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywed1 View Post
i take the lirr everyday for the last 4 years and do not have any problem at all, one saturday i was delayed 40 minutes. because kids were on the track.
You must not be on the same LIRR everyone else is taking.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 AM

332 posts, read 613,857 times
Quote:
Even better, why not shut down the entire railroad when it rains or flurries or if a signal tower explodes? It works for snow and hurricanes This is not to say that I'm even intimating they should have been running during Sandy, though I am saying it took better than 6 weeks for them to get back to normal. Unconscionable in the face of a major fare hike.

Let's face it, the LIRR's record over the last five or so years has been abysmal. But, begging the riding public's pardon, it's not their fault.
It took 6 weeks because that is how long it took Amtrak to get all the tunnels back up and running. LIRR does not own them, they rely on Amtrak.
If trains are delayed or cancelled due to problems in the east river tunnels, that falls on Amtrak not LIRR.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
It took 6 weeks because that is how long it took Amtrak to get all the tunnels back up and running. LIRR does not own them, they rely on Amtrak.
If trains are delayed or cancelled due to problems in the east river tunnels, that falls on Amtrak not LIRR.
Well buddy-boy, the problem isn't who owns the East River tunnels. We all know Amtrak owns and maintains them. The real point is fares have grown ridiculously while very little capital makes back into reinvestment into infrastructure. Pensions, salaries and benefits all come before service.

A well operated transit authority knows where the weak points are and works to alleviate them. Not so for the LIRR, though. It's same excuse all the time, the only things that change are the fares, which just keep on going up.

And just to be clear, the bulk of the Federal funding for MTA Capital Expenditures doesn't go to system improvements but the 2nd Ave. Tunnel and Moynahan Station. With talk of a Grand Central Connector, the MTA is really off-target.

Hope you don't commute to work on the LIRR.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
how do these on-time numbers affect anything?

In all honesty - as for poor service, it really isn't that bad on some lines - like the hicksville or bethpage line. I used to pick my wife up every day for 10 years straight and in the grand scheme hardly ever had to wait.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
how do these on-time numbers affect anything?

In all honesty - as for poor service, it really isn't that bad on some lines - like the hicksville or bethpage line. I used to pick my wife up every day for 10 years straight and in the grand scheme hardly ever had to wait.

There is no hicksville or bethpage line. hicksville is served by main line and port jeff branch trains.
Bethpage is main line.

Main line aka Ronkonkoma Branch. Port Jeff (electrics to Huntington).

There are delays almost every day from the things the RR cant control (car on tracks, suicide, etc...) to the almost daily broken signals, crossing gates.

I cant go more than 2-3 days with out being late either going in or coming home or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island