Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
"Continually slammed" or just not recommended as much due to merit? Jericho and RVC are both "diverse" districts according to your definitions ( <80% white) and they get nothing but praises on LI - and rightfully so.
So much for that theory.
Jericho HS is 96+% White and Asian... really diverse... and RVC in the same sentence as Jericho? Really?

Massapequa HS is 96% White.

Do this exercise for any district on LI and there's an overwhelming direct correlation to the racial enrollment breakdown and its perceived "quality". Cherrypicking an exception to this is not only disingenuous, it's simply a matter of blinders to exactly why people moved out to LI in the first place. I take exception to this because people use this argument often to point out what they feel is a shortcoming of a relo area... or another great one - cookie cutter developments. They're simply rehashing the history of LI (white schools and cookie cutter developments) like that's not why LI is what it is today... yet, this is suddenly the "problem" with other areas... seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Did you grow up in Bellmore-Merrick? If you didnt, you wouldnt know. I've lived in many places as a kid and Bellmore was one of them. I saw the diversity first hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yeah because i waste my time googling all about a place i've never been to...
You sure speak "intelligently" about other areas of the country as if you know them... meanwhile, you've never lived anywhere else but LI and have always lived in an apartment. Yet you can argue schools relative to raising a family like you know... it doesn't compute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
White and Asian are now the same? Stony Brook University isn't diverse because the majority of students are white and Asian?

To some people, diversity only seems to mean "has a decent number of Blacks and/or Hispanics".

A lot of these Southern areas are white, black, and little if anyone else. That's not exactly diverse either.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Jericho HS is 96+% White and Asian... really diverse... and RVC in the same sentence as Jericho? Really?

Massapequa HS is 96% White.

Do this exercise for any district on LI and there's an overwhelming direct correlation to the racial enrollment breakdown and its perceived "quality". Cherrypicking an exception to this is not only disingenuous, it's simply a matter of blinders to exactly why people moved out to LI in the first place. I take exception to this because people use this argument often to point out what they feel is a shortcoming of a relo area... or another great one - cookie cutter developments. They're simply rehashing the history of LI (white schools and cookie cutter developments) like that's not why LI is what it is today... yet, this is suddenly the "problem" with other areas... seriously.

You sure speak "intelligently" about other areas of the country as if you know them... meanwhile, you've never lived anywhere else but LI and have always lived in an apartment. Yet you can argue schools relative to raising a family like you know... it doesn't compute.
I've owned a house before on Long Island. Lived 3 years in NC for grad school but came back to LI in the summers and for holidays.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM

639 posts, read 1,124,123 times
Diversity to me doesn't mean just race. I also think of religion and socioeconomic status. Jericho may be diverse by LI standards because of race, but like other LI towns it's not diverse in terms of SES being mostly upper-middle class and upper-class. Massapequa is not diverse not just because of race, but the fact that majority of the people there are middle-class. Many towns on LI also consist mostly of people being of the same religion. In suburb and exburb school districts in other metros, you definitely find more SES diversity and more even distribution of students from working-class, middle-class, and upper-class homes in the same high school.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
White and Asian are now the same? Stony Brook University isn't diverse because the majority of students are white and Asian?

To some people, diversity only seems to mean "has a decent number of Blacks and/or Hispanics".

A lot of these Southern areas are white, black, and little if anyone else. That's not exactly diverse either.

Great point. I guess Asians dont count as "diverse" to MikeyKid.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Diversity to me doesn't mean just race. I also think of religion and socioeconomic status. Jericho may be diverse by LI standards because of race, but like other LI towns it's not diverse in terms of SES being mostly upper-middle class and upper-class.
Yes that's the reason why you will be hard pressed find a diverse school district. School districts are a way for families with the same values to band together. Some districts are uniformly wealthy. Others have 2nd or 3rd gen immigrant kids (not really representative of country of origin) with American mindsets. Some would have a high concentration of families with very bright people from around the world - all of them having masters or doctorates - that does not make them "diverse".

Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Great point. I guess Asians dont count as "diverse" to MikeyKid.
It's ridiculous. Mikey, I won't even address your post because the above sums it up nicely. You're way off on this.
Btw- Jericho and RVC were just off the top of my head. You can add Great Neck, Herricks, Mineola, NHP, Syosset, even East Meadow, Franklin Square...that's not even glancing at Suffolk. These districts are just as diverse, if not more diverse, than areas such as Freeport, Uniondale, Hempstead, etc.

Moderator cut: post deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Diversity to me doesn't mean just race. I also think of religion and socioeconomic status. Jericho may be diverse by LI standards because of race, but like other LI towns it's not diverse in terms of SES being mostly upper-middle class and upper-class. Massapequa is not diverse not just because of race, but the fact that majority of the people there are middle-class. Many towns on LI also consist mostly of people being of the same religion. In suburb and exburb school districts in other metros, you definitely find more SES diversity and more even distribution of students from working-class, middle-class, and upper-class homes in the same high school.
Not true, especially on the socio-economics. You clearly don't know Massapequa. I'd even go further and say my immediate area is more ethnically diverse than many of the so-called "diverse" towns on LI.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-24-2013 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Yes that's the reason why you will be hard pressed find a diverse school district. School districts are a way for families with the same values to band together. Some districts are uniformly wealthy. Others have 2nd or 3rd gen immigrant kids (not really representative of country of origin) with American mindsets. Some would have a high concentration of families with very bright people from around the world - all of them having masters or doctorates - that does not make them "diverse".
This is a good point.

Also, how outliers are out there where school districts span more than one town? Example, there is a lot of diversity in East Massapequa that "counts" towards the over all diversity of Massapequa, but all those folks live on one side of town and go to a different school district (Amityville). Completely different social and economic circles.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
5 months better?
Nope. You do know this very site has climate information on just about every town in the country, right?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

Not true, especially on the socio-economics. You clearly don't know Massapequa. I'd even go further and say my immediate area is more ethnically diverse than many of the so-called "diverse" towns on LI.
Ethnic diversity in my opinion, is a very beautiful thing. It allows people to get to know one another, and share cultural aspects. It also greatly reduces the chances of developing prejudice, racism, and phobias depending of the level of exposure a person is receiving when venturing to different nations to experience a variety of unique cultures.

How can this happen in Massapequa when the town is almost 100% one race

Quote:
Growing up in Massapequa Park I never met one person of color until I was 17 and working at McDonald’s. The next African American I met was years later in my 30’s and he roared with laughter when I described him as African American. It was hysterical to him that his sheltered white friend danced around politically correct terminology and told me African American was my term not his.

Unfortunately, not much has changed. At least I think it’s unfortunate. Does anyone else wonder about the lack of diversity in our neighborhood? In our schools?

When I moved back to Massapequa several years ago my kids noticed the lack of diversity. They actually got off the bus one day and asked me where all the black kids had gone. Maybe black isn’t the correct terminology anymore but that was what they asked.

Massapequa is a wonderful place to live. We have great schools, beautiful parks, and amazing sports programs and in fairness we’re not the only town on Long Island that lacks diversity. While I did move back from a more diverse neighborhood, it was very divided racially. It had sections and that is something I notice in many neighborhoods.
Source: Dreams of Color - Kristen Ferrari's Blog - Massapequa, NY Patch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island