Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
He was on green island but i saw no link. I did see other long island towns and each one set their own rates.
No, You made a blank statement with nothing to follow it up with. It took less than 2 minutes to find that it sits in a Hamlet in the Town of Hempstead. And as to the link, right on their website.

http://ecode360.com/15517915?highlight=towing,towed,tow

Quote:

If the registered owner or other person in control of a
vehicle arrives at the scene prior to the removal of the vehicle and such
vehicle is connected to any apparatus for removal, the vehicle shall be
disconnected from such apparatus and such registered owner or other person in
control of such vehicle shall be allowed to remove the vehicle from the premises
without interference upon payment of a reasonable service fee of not more
than 1/2 of the charge
allowed for removal as provided in Subsection
H(1) of this section, for which a
receipt shall be given. Each
tow
car operator shall carry a legible copy of this section with this paragraph
highlighted and shall show it to a vehicle owner or other person in control of
the vehicle who arrives at the scene prior to the removal of a
vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
I wasn't sure where they were as I never even heard of green island so I googled green island but regardless where is the max amount?

Old 09-19-2013, 12:49 PM

78 posts, read 235,050 times
Wow, this thread sure blew up.

(i'm OP).

Yes, I gambled by not having the permit, since i think its stupid personally and is merely an attempt to extort money from us. I took my chances, I got my ticket. I'm not terribly angry about that.

BUT the thing that did anger me is the cop parking his car right behind mine, telling me that I'm going to get towed, making me wait 20 minutes for the tow truck to arrive, and then making me have to pay the money to the tow truck company to not tow my car.

Tow truck company is happy as hell, they didnt have to do any work and got paid 180 bucks.

Cop was just a <insert mean word here> for doing that. Gotta show us plebs who's in charge, eh?

Old 09-19-2013, 12:55 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
To seize a vehicle - the vehicle must be involved in some sort of accident....or behavior such as stunt driving....or if it is blocking a fire route...If YOU and the vehicle are capable of leaving...You should be free to leave---To order a tow truck for a vehicle that is capable of moving on it's own....is crazy. I could see it if you had just robbed a bank and they captured you and your car....but a parking infraction does not warrant the seizure of a vehicle...sound pretty corrupt to me.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:58 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham1010 View Post

BUT the thing that did anger me is the cop parking his car right behind mine, telling me that I'm going to get towed, making me wait 20 minutes for the tow truck to arrive, and then making me have to pay the money to the tow truck company to not tow my car.

Tow truck company is happy as hell, they didnt have to do any work and got paid 180 bucks.
Read the links above, if everything you stated is true you can sue the tow company for a full refund since they had to give you a signed document that you paid a drop fee that (1) exceeded the town limit, (2) the time stamps are different by 20 minutes, (3) you were in your car (4) if the police officer blocked you, then there was no connection between the tow truck and your car.

The only thing that would trip up your case is a past history of illegal parking tickets and tows.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:04 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Wow really

When you park illegally in a place that has a sign that says ' you could be fined (ticketed) and or towed' with or without the little tow truck symbol you can be both ticketed and towed. The towing part is generally up to the Officer's discretion (unless it was use in a crime,etc). You can be the subject of just a ticket or ticketed and towed.

Factors vary on why you would or should be towed and attitude,demeanor, and what is said can greatly influence on someone being towed or not.....it's a courtesy not being towed!

From the Green Island VTL :
Quote:
Whenever any vehicle is ticketed by a peace officer or law enforcement officer for the violation of any section of this Chapter 157, it shall be subject to removal from the location where ticketed. The owner or person entitled to possession of said vehicle shall be held liable for the removal and towing charges up to $75 per offense, or actual towing costs incurred, whichever is greater.
[Added 3-27-2000 by L.L. No. 1-2000]
It would help if you knew the laws and procedures when answering or giving advice on here

Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 AM

actually that link is NOT for the green island in long island. that is another town up state ny in Albany county.

I guess it helps to know the laws and the location lol..

http://ecode360.com/13608287

Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Do you have a link to their vtl?
Village of Green Island, NY Removal and Storage of Vehicles

Section 157-26

Old 09-20-2013, 07:25 AM

yep you blew it, that is green island up in Albany county, not long island.

op said "I go fishing on Green Island, off the Wantagh Parkway, " that is in Suffolk county on long island not Albany county which is up state .

two different places .

Old 09-20-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
actually that link is NOT for the green island in long island. that is another town up state ny in Albany county.

I guess it helps to know the laws and the location lol..

Village of Green Island, NY Removal and Storage of Vehicles
Most have the same basic VTL laws throughout NYS even more stringent if in the park ! If this occurred in the park.....even more rules to follow! When a violation occurs in a park it gives a Peace/police/park officer even more laws to work with

Last edited by BigMike50; 09-20-2013 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island