Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 03:11 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are these real salary freezes that:

-- include the step raises too?

-- when raises start again they start at THIS level or at the level they would have started if the teachers had been getting raises all along?

-- these salary freezes are real and not temporary and do not have to be "made up" in the future by the taxpayers with interest to the teachers?
Yes a few step increases, but not everyone gets it. Doesn't seem like we'll end up paying for the difference after the freeze - the commenters in here probably explain it better.
Plainview Teachers Agree to 4-Year Salary Freeze - Schools - Plainview, NY Patch

Old 10-05-2013, 03:38 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Yes a few step increases, but not everyone gets it. Doesn't seem like we'll end up paying for the difference after the freeze - the commenters in here probably explain it better.
Plainview Teachers Agree to 4-Year Salary Freeze - Schools - Plainview, NY Patch
The headline is misleading, it's just a freeze on cost of living increases that are separate from steps.

Quote:
The 2011-15 contract includes no contractual raises over the four years. It
allows for step increases in the first, second and fourth year, but not the
third, Lewis said.
Most districts have around 15-20 step increases some even more, I am sure their are a few years that some are left out but then there are also longevity, education and other increases. Each can amount increases can amount to 3-4% each per year. Add in the cost of living increases in similar percentages when middle class wages have been stagnant for years and you can see why there is a problem.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:49 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post

Just out of curiosity, what types of workers do you think should be paid "well into 6 figures"?
People who work 50 weeks/year with 10 - 13 hours/day as their regular work day (like my husband and daughter). Certainly not teachers who work 36 weeks/year and put in a 5-hour work day. Way too many tenured teachers are just in it for the money, benefits, and plenty of time off.

We haven't had a raise since 2008. But our taxes to pay those teachers/administrators keep increasing and will never decrease. Each year inflation goes up 2.5%. It's difficult to stay ahead of the game when pay is stagnating in the private sector - but of course it's not stagnating for the underworked teachers.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf13624 View Post
Pay teachers 30k a year and see well your children turn out.
There are plenty of newly churned out teachers who can't find a job who would gladly take $30K/year. It's better than being unemployed. Let the new unemployed teachers take the overpaid teachers' jobs. And their students will turn out just as well as the overpaid teacher's students.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,689 times
Wow did I open a can of worms! Jealousy or whatever you want to call it something is just out of whack. The fact is Long Island and Westchester having the nation's highest property taxes and it seems Cuomo is finally doing something about it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/ny...axes.html?_r=0
"
Next year, Mr. Cuomo said, he wants to take further action on property taxes, and he asked the panel, led by former Gov. George E. Pataki, a Republican, and former State Comptroller H. Carl McCall, a Democrat, to make recommendations before the Legislature convenes in January."
I just can't accept this reality of school taxes going up so much so fast in these times. Something needs to be done...I love this area and would love to afford to stay here!

Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
There are plenty of newly churned out teachers who can't find a job who would gladly take $30K/year. It's better than being unemployed. Let the new unemployed teachers take the overpaid teachers' jobs. And their students will turn out just as well as the overpaid teacher's students.
Great point! Fire all the teachers and hire replacements at 30K. And then fire them in a few years and hire a new crop at 30K. Brilliant. Then my property taxes will go down. Problem solved.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM

577 posts, read 979,870 times
People actually think there's something wrong with teachers getting paid 100K plus for working 185 days a year? What's wrong with everyone?

Old 10-05-2013, 07:10 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
plus pensions. how much would you make if you only worked 185 days a year?

Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 PM

401 posts, read 945,089 times
I wouldn't mind paying high taxes if the performance of my school district increased proportionately to the tax increases.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
this is so depressing. i thought it was bad that the federal and state workers were making over $100,000 with benefits and free healthcare. then i saw that long island nurses, physical therapists, and pharmacists were making over $100,000 and now driving their luxury cars thanks to all the lobbying they do to keep their salaries sky high while people can't afford health insurance anymore. then came cops and firefighters gaming the system saying they deserve this kind of money too. now teachers who only work 10 months of the years are making over $100,000. this is disgraceful to middle class families who scorching every penny to pay for high taxes, insurance, benefits, and other good bag to these service workers while every one else is taking a salary freeze or getting laid off. something has got to change to stop these greedy workers like teachers and others who are ripping of hard working people just wanting to get by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island