Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
I cannot believe i read the entire thread. Here are my comments.

1) If you live in LI and think the property taxes are too damn high, move.
We know why they're too high. Prop tax $4k, School tax $8k. Hmmm, that's odd?!

Quote:
3) I am an engineer and do OK but that does not mean I get jealous of doctors
Well pay their salaries and then come back and tell us about it.

Quote:
It's who you know and not always what you know in life, sorry. Not just in LI or the education field, but everywhere. If my dad is the CEO of a company I am sure I can be the vice president in a couple of years and get a much better paycheck than most people there. Again, that's how life is.
Nice if daddy owns the company. This is public work. There are laws against just this type of thing. Some people fell asleep at the switch. Time they get woken up. Of course they don't like it.

Quote:
6) My wife is a NYC teacher and I know firsthand what teachers go through. It is not a 'cushy gig' and the hours are longer than everyone thinks. She does spend hours every night after watching her students to prepare lessons and grade papers and calling parents, true story. Would she hope to be a teacher in LI some day? Of course, everybody knows the pay is better. That is not a secret. But then again I am sure they are more selective too no matter how you slice it, whether it is though connections or qualifications..
Tell your wife to post how she feels about the disparity in pay. In fact, just start another user name and pretend you are her. You're quite adept at it. The "Go Jets" is a bit of a giveaway, QC.

Quote:
Life is unequal but in this free market, !
Teacher's don't work in the free market. That is remedial point #1 of this conversation.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:01 PM

147 posts, read 433,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You just exposed the biggest flaw in your post. Teachers are not paid free market salaries and benefits. Pay increases, tenure and pensions are mandatory. Take that away and the free market will force salaries to tumble.
It is equal because you and I can be teachers if we wanted. We chose not to and be something else.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
We know why they're too high. Prop tax $4k, School tax $8k. Hmmm, that's odd?!

It doesn't matter what the breakdown is. There is no point in justifying. The truth is that total property taxes are high. If it is too high for you, then move.

Also, why are you instigating that I am good at creating fake accounts? I am hardly on this board and just came across this post today. Do you really believe everyone is so obsessed like you to win arguments?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:08 PM

I hardly post on this board or read posts but had to chime in today because I realize how ignorant some people really are. I made one post and this idiot suggests creating fake accounts because I said "GO JETS." What a moron. Would it have been better if I said "GO YANKEES" then? There you go, "GO YANKEES."

Old 10-08-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I hardly post on this board or read posts but had to chime in today because I realize how ignorant some people really are. I made one post and this idiot suggests creating fake accounts because I said "GO JETS." What a moron. Would it have been better if I said "GO YANKEES" then? There you go, "GO YANKEES."
Nice try.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
It is equal because you and I can be teachers if we wanted. We chose not to and be something else.
I did not say that you can't be a public school teacher if you wanted to. I just said that their wages are not set by free markets, contrary to what you posted. Anyone who says their wages are set by free markets is lying.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
You can be a crack dealer but I won't pay your salary. Maybe you can form the Union of Municipal Crack Dealers, gain enormous power and dues money to influence local elections then strong arm small local municipalities into outrageous compensation packages and then scream "poor me, stop attacking my noble profession" when people wake up and find they can't afford 10% per year tax increases while enrollments decline and programs get shut down for kids. Let's Go Rangers!

Last edited by mongoose65; 10-08-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM
PPL

95 posts, read 152,228 times
Quote:
this is simply not true.

this statement shows you don't know much about long island public education systems.

there are many, many well-qualified teachers can't get a position in any public school on the island. they have to take a lower-paid, more stress jobs in private schools.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
You can be a crack dealer but I won't pay your salary. Maybe you can form the Union of Municipal Crack Dealers, gain enormous power and dues money to influence local elections then strong arm small local municipalities into outrageous compensation packages and then scream "poor me, stop attacking my noble profession" when people wake up and find they can't afford 10% per year tax increases while enrollments decline and programs get shut down for kids. Let's Go Rangers!
I bet this dude would like to file a grievance with the union head:

Old 10-08-2013, 03:45 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Nice try.
I think you are losing it just a bit...now you are seeing double.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island