Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
That is what I was thinking.

Now, I will admit that just about no cashiers know how to count out change any more, you are lucky to get "and 7.31 is your change" but I don't stress over it. A woman actually did it correctly a few weeks ago and I complimented her on it.

$7.31 is your change is not the correct way to do it. It should be done as: " .31 makes $3 and $5, $6, $7 makes $10. Thank you, have a nice day" (meaning 31 cents in change, a $5 bill and 2 - $1 bills)

I prefer the older cashiers.... they're more likely to do the job correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
More and more I am getting frustrated by businesses and their employees acting as if they are doing me a favor by shopping there. I am not going to name the place this happened, but things like this seem to happen more and more.

I was at a pizzeria on Lakeland Ave in Holbrook today. I got 2 slices of sicilian and a soda. The cost came to $7.30. I handed the woman a 10 dollar bill, a quarter and a dime. I said to keep the nickel. She puts all the money in the draw and closes it. I said to her "I would like my 3 dollars back though" and laughed. I was not rude or treating her badly. I didn't imply she was stupid or anything. As nicely as I possibly could I said this to her.

She turns around and YELLS at me "It was just a mistake!!!!" I said to her that I wasn't mad, that I laughed about it and was smiling and didn't think it was anything but a mistake.

She angrily put the 3 dollars on the counter and when the pizza was ready practically threw it at me.

What is wrong with these people? Do I not have a right to ask for my change back? Should I have waited longer until there could have been a dispute as to whether or not she gave my change back?

I find that most businesses never even say thank you anymore, usually it is me who says thanks. Do businesses even thank anyone for their business anymore?

Obviously this is the last time I go into this place, in retrospect I should've asked for my nickel back also.
Fear not my friend, this is a universal problem not only on LI. I guess customer service along with manners are becoming more and more extinct.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:44 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Its not a LI thing...its a society thing...or def a city like NY & metro/

the $3 incident was a anomaly. But she was really rude & I would have considering reporting her.

Customer service is pretty horrible in general. The whole tipping culture is out of hand as well. Its virtually blackmail bribery for them to do the absolute minimum these days.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,628 times
Some of you are way too sensitive. I bought a pie and a dish tonight at Mulberry Street and bill was $26.80. I gave cashier $27 and said have a nice night. She said nothing-not even thank you. Oh well.....not my conscious. I cannot control the actions of others so why worry about it. Worry is a useless emotion.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Some of you are way too sensitive. I bought a pie and a dish tonight at Mulberry Street and bill was $26.80. I gave cashier $27 and said have a nice night. She said nothing-not even thank you. Oh well.....not my conscious. I cannot control the actions of others so why worry about it. Worry is a useless emotion.
what is someone supposed to say about receiving 20 cents? Saying nothing was probably the most appropriate response. A thank you wouldn't have been genuine since, aside from the homeless, nobody needs your freakin' 20 cents.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what is someone supposed to say about receiving 20 cents? Saying nothing was probably the most appropriate response. A thank you wouldn't have been genuine since, aside from the homeless, nobody needs your freakin' 20 cents.
Sensitive Boy #1

Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
A little politeness goes a long way in my book. And rudeness is seldom forgotten.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Sensitive Boy #1
it would seem the person that took the time to post the tale of the ungrateful cashier who didn't get down on her knees and give thanks for 20 cents would be sensitive...but then again, I would never insult someone by giving them that little money for any reason.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
That lady could have been having a bad day and your non-accusation may have been the last straw for her. My advice is to not take behavior like hers personally. She's the one with the problem not you.

I think bad customer service could be a trickle-down effect. When businesses treat their staff like dirt, the staff treat customers the same. I don't know if this is just a Long Island thing or if it's the same in the other NYC boroughs/suburbs.

The US used to be tops in c.s. but I've noticed that's it's been getting worse over the years and I'm curious if it's a reflection of management today who tend to treat their employees like a number or a replacable robot, instead of sentient human beings.

and then there's this-

The downside of diversity: A Harvard political scientist finds that diversity hurts civic life

Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post

I don't think the "thank you" would be for the 20 cents.... It would be for being a customer, making a purchase, and supporting their business. Is this lost on people?? Do you not realize it's the CUSTOMER who is keeping you in business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island