Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:43 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,001,568 times

Advertisements

Waahhh. Always laugh at these threads where someone gets bad service and it's automatically a universal condition. Maybe it was that time of the month. Life goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 AM

3,529 posts, read 5,715,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
More and more I am getting frustrated by businesses and their employees acting as if they are doing me a favor by shopping there. I am not going to name the place this happened, but things like this seem to happen more and more.

I was at a pizzeria on Lakeland Ave in Holbrook today. I got 2 slices of sicilian and a soda. The cost came to $7.30. I handed the woman a 10 dollar bill, a quarter and a dime. I said to keep the nickel. She puts all the money in the draw and closes it. I said to her "I would like my 3 dollars back though" and laughed. I was not rude or treating her badly. I didn't imply she was stupid or anything. As nicely as I possibly could I said this to her.

She turns around and YELLS at me "It was just a mistake!!!!" I said to her that I wasn't mad, that I laughed about it and was smiling and didn't think it was anything but a mistake.

She angrily put the 3 dollars on the counter and when the pizza was ready practically threw it at me.

What is wrong with these people? Do I not have a right to ask for my change back? Should I have waited longer until there could have been a dispute as to whether or not she gave my change back?

I find that most businesses never even say thank you anymore, usually it is me who says thanks. Do businesses even thank anyone for their business anymore?

Obviously this is the last time I go into this place, in retrospect I should've asked for my nickel back also.

First, no part of Lakeland ave is in Holbrook.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:36 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,060,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Holbrook/Bohemia area. Sorry. South of Vets Hwy

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,737,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Waahhh. Always laugh at these threads where someone gets bad service and it's automatically a universal condition. Maybe it was that time of the month. Life goes on.
Well said. I'm doing home renovations and have seen both sides. I recently had a flooring contractor whose employees did exemplary, clean work. It was real craftsmanship at a fair price and the owner is just great to deal with. On the other hand, I have a kitchen cabinet company that gave me a delivery time that is about half the actual and, as a result, it is royally screwing up my kitchen renovation and I have little recourse. The salesman has been unresponsive and evasive and when I found out the current estimated delivery date, I could understand why. (BTW, PM me if you want the name of this company as one to stay away from.)

Both of these companies are on Long Island. It's like night and day.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 AM

246 posts, read 471,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post

Agreed. There are too many examples of GREAT service, evident in long standing businesses.

Unfortunately, we still only gripe about the bad. Human condition I suppose

Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,992,373 times
Quote:
Walter, is that you!?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
Mom & pop shops - the actual owners or relatives helping out - will still smile and appreciate your business. Same for take-out chinese restaurants and the like. Some random employee making $7/hr. couldn't care less. I do agree that it is usually us who say thanks more than the employees.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,671,874 times
Quote:
Thanks Walter.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,734,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Mom & pop shops - the actual owners or relatives helping out - will still smile and appreciate your business. Same for take-out chinese restaurants and the like. Some random employee making $7/hr. couldn't care less. I do agree that it is usually us who say thanks more than the employees.

Agree. It must suck to have to stand on your feet all day for $7.25/hour. I can understand their grumpiness.

I always have to say "thank you" and "have a nice day" to the cashier. Why are they NOT being trained to say that to customers?? It's so freaking rude! When I was a teenager and worked at a snack stand, the owner was so stict about that. He drilled it into us to always say "thank you", "is there anything else I can help you with?" "have a nice day".

Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM

344 posts, read 718,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
I said to her "I would like my 3 dollars back though" and laughed. I was not rude or treating her badly. I didn't imply she was stupid or anything. As nicely as I possibly could I said this to her.
I could see how this could come across as snotty. You should have just said, "I think I'm supposed to get $3 back," and moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island