Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montie Brewster View Post
I'm sure you have plenty of experience with it.

I will pray for you.

I doubt it will help...
OMG ... you from the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Gee, that was an informative thread.
And what else would you expect around here?

Old 11-05-2013, 04:23 PM

31 posts, read 51,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
OMG ... you from the South?
How far south is Woodside?

I don't even go to church.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:55 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montie Brewster View Post
Thanks. And a nod out for not quoting Newsday. Great article...it helped me understand a lot. It also underscores my continual regret. Happier here than I would have been in NYC, but living with a heap of disgruntled neighbors in denial really sucks. I always sway my friends from thinking about buying here. Nearly all of my LI friends who lived here before I bought feel the same way I do. None of them ever let it be known publicly. Nor did they share these sentiments when I was looking.
Long Island still has quite a bit to offer although the politicians have done their best to make one of the wealthiest counties in the US one of the poorest, personal preference but it's a great place for families. Always amazes me how much time is spent complaining about politicians but can't take the time to vote.

I would be surprised if we get over 30% turnout tonight, the other 70% are satisfied.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:27 PM

31 posts, read 51,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Long Island still has quite a bit to offer although the politicians have done their best to make one of the wealthiest counties in the US one of the poorest, personal preference but it's a great place for families. Always amazes me how much time is spent complaining about politicians but can't take the time to vote.

I would be surprised if we get over 30% turnout tonight, the other 70% are satisfied.
I agree it's a great place for families and I guess I'm not as disappointed as I make myself out to be. It's just frustrating that I invested in a place that seems to be headed nowhere fast. I know people will always buy here, and we'll always hear things like "go ahead and leave..someone will replace you"...but I'm looking 10 to 15 years down the road when I'll be ready to sell. It's hard to fathom what taxes will be like. What long-term effect will the current policies have? Will the infrastructure improve?

If I had it to do again, I don't think I'd be here. That's all I'm saying.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM

429 posts, read 853,692 times
As a first-time home owner as of this year, the property taxes are just one of the things that truly scare me. I also have to worry about LIRR fare hikes, medical insurance costs (thanks to Obamacare) and general cost of living increases. If I don't get a raise at my job to offset some of the increases, I have to decrease my rate of savings, which seems counter-intuitive.

Sometimes I think about sending my personal budget break-down to these politicians and asking them what they recommend I do differently. No student loan debt (paid off 4 years early), full-time job and open to additional part-time work on nights/weekends to make extra money, no car loans, no credit card debt, no debt at all aside from the mortgage.

What exactly is the middle class supposed to do to get by and actually enjoy their lives?? There are only so many hours in the day - to make money, maintain a home and LIVE. Maybe the answer is that they don't actually want us here.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,325,464 times
I voted for Mangano. I know I surprised myself but I saw Suozzi's performance on the recent debate on WCBS and he kept dodging the questions. On the one issue I disagree with Mangano the most, funding of public transit, Suozzi blew the opportunity to criticize Mangano's low funding of Nassau bus service. He wouldn't even share his hobbies. He looked like a deer in the headlights.
I know I can trust Ed Mangano to run the county, with Suozzi, it will just be more incompetence, high paid friends from out of the area, and higher taxes. Sometimes there's something higher than agreement and that is trust.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,914 times
Brilliant. Incumbents win almost straight down the line. All blame can now officially fall squarely on the voters. Without a moronic or seedy scandal or bombs falling from the sky, NOTHING changes! Sheep capital of the world. If I could pick football games like I picked this election, I would have made a tidy sum. Oh well. Back to regularly scheduled work, taxes and soccer league.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 AM

7,947 posts, read 9,164,633 times
I don't know if I would call Suozi and Weitzman fresh choices. They were merely 1 period removed incumbents and really didn't do much positive changing to the system when they were in charge.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I don't know if I would call Suozi and Weitzman fresh choices. They were merely 1 period removed incumbents and really didn't do much positive changing to the system when they were in charge.
Suozzi came off as what he is...opportunist, carpetbagger, hypocrite...and smug to boot. Apparently people decided to be nice to the pollsters and didn't want to tear him apart (and even when they did his denial was so great he brushed it off) but they weren't so kind in the general election. Haber would have actually done MUCH better but the dem machine made sure to kill him off. He was a much more viable candidate than Suozzi. The system is such a mess.

Anyway, good or bad, Mangano is not BAD ENOUGH to unseat. That's what it comes down to here. People on LI have to be REALLY ANGRY to unseat an incumbent. Not just the usual LICD forum angry, but really pi**ed about a specific issue. Although in Town of Hempstead that doesn't matter. Kate is repeatedly forgiven for everything including killing the Lighthouse deal and sending the Islanders to Brooklyn. Doing a mediocre job is accepted practice these days. The bar is set very low. Pretty much don't get hammered and smoke crack on video level badness. Although that isn't causing the Toronto mayor to resign (so far). Maybe he can come here and promise "no tax increases" and get a gig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island