Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceandFire View Post
Property taxes are a bigger issue than school taxes. At least most teachers and administrators aren't corrupt and educate our kids. Most of our property taxes go to unnecessary state social services and fat cat state government workers who make more money than Long Island teachers. But you still complain about teachers, it's like you all have a vendetta against them or something. The state government is the real reason why we have such high school and property taxes, why Long Island has no industry promoting even higher taxes, why upstate New York has been in an economic depressions for decades, why there is no diversified business in the state other than NYC.
I am reading my Suffolk County tax bill right now. No where does it indicate anything going to any social service in NYS. Property taxes are collected by the county and consist of County tax, Police, Town general, town highway, lighting, water, bond act, refuse, MTA tax, blizzard note. For what it is worth, school tax (includes library) comprises 63% of the bill. Police make up 12%

Those 'unnecessary state social services and fat cat state government workers' are funded through your income tax, sales tax, etc.

Quote:
As for teacher pensions, the newer and lower tier of state government workers don't get pensions anymore and have to pay into their own 401K. So I'm sure that is going to change soon with new teachers being hired if it's already happening in the state government.
The teachers on tier 6 have something akin to 50/50 with the district. Per NYSTRS:
Quote:
...employer costs should decline...under the two new tiers of membership
(Tiers 5 and 6) that have been established in New York since 2010. Under Tier 4 employers are responsible
for almost 90% of expected long-term retirement contributions; that figure drops to about 70% for Tier
5 members. Under the newly enacted Tier 6, employers and employees essentially split the expected longterm contribution responsibilities 50-50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM

31 posts, read 53,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I am reading my Suffolk County tax bill right now. No where does it indicate anything going to any social service in NYS. Property taxes are collected by the county and consist of County tax, Police, Town general, town highway, lighting, water, bond act, refuse, MTA tax, blizzard note. For what it is worth, school tax (includes library) comprises 63% of the bill. Police make up 12%

Those 'unnecessary state social services and fat cat state government workers' are funded through your income tax, sales tax, etc.

The teachers on tier 6 have something akin to 50/50 with the district. Per NYSTRS:
Of course they're not going to tell you that your property taxes are going to the state government. Didn't you read the articles I posted it. Everyone knows that too much Medicaid funding is one of the reasons why NYS has such high property taxes. Many studies have been done and found that conclusion.

Enough is Enough Albany-NY Demands Mandate Relief. | "OUR COUNTIES ARE NOT YOUR PIGGY BANKS"

Reforming Medicaid to Relieve Your Property Tax Burden | New York State Senate

http://www.lohud.com/article/2011100...nclick_check=1

Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Are you feeling left out? j/k

Seriously, though, this necromanced thread has been civil in its reincarnated form as opposed to one of the classic Cops v. Teacher threads.
Point taken....until I get my hands on it

Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
. Sorry if that is too biased for you.
You are too biased. Abnormally so. And still haven't answered the question.

If I go to seethroughny am I going to see someone named lugozi teaching in....Merrick, I think it is you said your husband works??

Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM

377 posts, read 644,576 times
Nice try. If you think I am saying no to Education reform and I am saying that teachers should have a free pass, then clearly you have not read my posts. Or you have an issue with reading comprehension.

I said that the pension program needs an overhaul/ needs to at the very least, to be decreased or phased out. I said that teachers should be held accountable.

You get annoyed with my post and go on the attack because I don't agree with the blanket statements that all teachers are this way or that way...dim witted, entitled, lazy, etc...?

I simply cited that from my experience with medicare reform, the all or nothing. Let's (only focus on the bottom dollar and not quality) approach never works. Not when it comes to patient care and not when it comes to teaching. It is the in between that you seem to have an issue with. How on earth does that equate with siding with teachers? Because I do not share your opinion? Can't we agree to disagree?

And how do you know my screen name matches anything in my real name? I have a very large family. What if I used family members' initials? Seriously, do yourself a favor and actually read someone's posts before trying to cyber stalk their family members or even declaring what side they are on.

Last edited by kdlugozi; 10-05-2012 at 01:30 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
^^^
You spoke too soon! (Referring to post 155)

Quote:
Are you feeling left out? j/k

Seriously, though, this necromanced thread has been civil in its reincarnated form as opposed to one of the classic Cops v. Teacher threads.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceandFire View Post
Of course they're not going to tell you that your property taxes are going to the state government. Didn't you read the articles I posted it. Everyone knows that too much Medicaid funding is one of the reasons why NYS has such high property taxes. Many studies have been done and found that conclusion.

Enough is Enough Albany-NY Demands Mandate Relief. | "OUR COUNTIES ARE NOT YOUR PIGGY BANKS"

Reforming Medicaid to Relieve Your Property Tax Burden | New York State Senate

http://www.lohud.com/article/2011100...nclick_check=1
The federal government gives the state money towards Medicaid. The state then shifts the burden onto the county. Think about it -- when has the state (or federal government) ever taken something from a smaller entity, made it one large entity, and then slashed costs will providing a quality product?

If anything, you can expect Medicaid to continue to rise given the passage of the Obama's health insurance laws. It isn't going to be pretty as more and more people go for Medicaid as their current insurance becomes unaffordable. BUT that has nothing to do with LI Teacher's salaries, does it now?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Moderator cut: deleted quote/post

Isn't teaching the highest life form in this society? Our own NIRVANA, in a sense? Therefore, my helping out these special souls can only bring good fortune to me. Lord knows they are so put upon they can't do it themselves. And since there's no union protecting them from the evils of interacting with children and parents outside of set boundaries, I feel it is my duty as the parent of children in this awesome educational system to take some of the heavy burden from these saints.

And, I don't need to work. So I dedicate my life to helping others.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-06-2012 at 05:38 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 PM

377 posts, read 644,576 times
Who said teachers were the highest life form in society? Again....with you it is all or nothing. Life does not work that way.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
What does it matter that the ratio of taxes to my house value are 1.6%? I can't monetize my house.

What does matter is my county plus school taxes are ~15% of my take home pay up from 8% fifteen years ago.
You're catching on to my point. It's not a property tax rate issue. It's a property-market-value compared to homeowner-income issue.

While it takes a little more effort to see the real problem it won't be until it's correctly defined that anything will be done to resolve it. People on LI seem to have been complaining about property taxes "since the year of the Flood" and where has it gotten anyone? You know what is said about doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome? So, maybe, a different perspective and strategy are required, you think?

As long as the prevailing property tax rate is relatively reasonable, which it generally is for NYS, complaining about the dollar amount isn't going to make a difference with those who are in a position to make an impact; whether it's in Albany or the County Seat.

Let's assume, just for a moment, that the *real* problem is that home prices are too high for prevailing household incomes. And that's what everyone increasingly focuses on. That would change the discussion and the goal. And it would eliminate the contradiction that we want the best school districts but lower paid teachers; we want the safest communities but with lower paid police officers; etc.

I'm sorry you have no equity in your house to "monetize" when you sell it. That's an unfortunate situation and I wish you well on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island