Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 03:08 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,664,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
That is wha I used to think. Then I realized that eliminating one 185K admin position (plus benefits) and and support staff meant that every year we would save 180K (plus benefits plus support staff) plus whatever raise the person would have received. That is a savings that hits each and every year going forward. A neighboring district to me has over 18 full time administrators - this is a very small district mind you. Cutting 6 positions and you are talking about real savings each and every year going forward. Districts vary greatly as to administrative costs so I would avoid blanket generalities as to their percentage of the budget.
I am not at all sure we have excess teachers except, perhaps, in special education. As far as teacher compensation is concerned I noted earlier that in my children's district their has been a real freeze for the past two years (pay and step) and the teachers there pay in 30% of their insurance costs. Again, this varies greatly among districts so I wold avoid blanket generalities as to pay raises and medical insurance payments.
I don't think an out and out reduction in teacher and staff pay (as opposed to a temporary freeze) is realistic although I am all for it - my property taxes are much much too high also.
I still have not heard of any superintendents who have reduced their own pay to that of the governor of the State of New York as had been suggested by the press. When that occurs (and don't hold your breath BTW) and something called leadership emerges from the sorry and swollen superintendent ranks, we might see a reduction in overall teacher pay.
Given all that, a realistic and effective way to gain real savings is to cut the unnecessary administrative positions.
What SD are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
The administration in any SD on LI is not a substantial part of the budget. The typical budget is about $95mil of which ~80% is compensation + benefits. The administrative part of the budget is < 5%. Teachers salary + benefits make up the bulk of the budget. If your goal is to rein in school taxes that is where you should start.
Expanding upon the compensation and benefits, and looking at the retirees (because those on the payroll now will be even more expensive as retirees.)

FWIW I looked up pensions in my school district (TVCSD) for 2008-2010 and focused solely on those receiving $70K or more.

55 retirees received a total of $4,474,552 in 2008
62 retirees received a total of $5,098,152 in 2009
64 retirees received a total of $5,271,219 in 2010

3 had retired in 1996
1 had retired in 2001

The lion's share of the $70K and over group retired after 2004, with 2 new retirees joining the ranks in 2009

The median figure appears to be $53,500. Those below the median appear to be retirees primarily from the 1990's Almost all over $70K were from the 2000's.

Retirees total:
2010 there were 270 retirees collecting $14,836,428
2009 there were 268 retirees collecting $14,726,545
2008 there were 252 retirees collecting $13,632,949

There appeared to be a small increase between 2009-2010 of about $400 per retiree on average.

That doesn't appear so awful, but when one considers that most of these retirees will most likely live at least another 20 years -- the ones currently at the median will have collected $1,070,000 (before COLA adjustments, etc.) PLUS health benefits. Nevermind all the members of the $70K and up club. ($1,400,000 for $70K per year over 20 years, not figuring in any COLA due.)

Iceberg Ahead

Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM

5,055 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Expanding upon the compensation and benefits, and looking at the retirees (because those on the payroll now will be even more expensive as retirees.)

FWIW I looked up pensions in my school district (TVCSD) for 2008-2010 and focused solely on those receiving $70K or more.

55 retirees received a total of $4,474,552 in 2008
62 retirees received a total of $5,098,152 in 2009
64 retirees received a total of $5,271,219 in 2010

3 had retired in 1996
1 had retired in 2001

The lion's share of the $70K and over group retired after 2004, with 2 new retirees joining the ranks in 2009

The median figure appears to be $53,500. Those below the median appear to be retirees primarily from the 1990's Almost all over $70K were from the 2000's.

Retirees total:
2010 there were 270 retirees collecting $14,836,428
2009 there were 268 retirees collecting $14,726,545
2008 there were 252 retirees collecting $13,632,949

There appeared to be a small increase between 2009-2010 of about $400 per retiree on average.

That doesn't appear so awful, but when one considers that most of these retirees will most likely live at least another 20 years -- the ones currently at the median will have collected $1,070,000 (before COLA adjustments, etc.) PLUS health benefits. Nevermind all the members of the $70K and up club. ($1,400,000 for $70K per year over 20 years, not figuring in any COLA due.)

Iceberg Ahead
What sort of COLA do teachers receive? I know that NYPD/NYFS receive full COLA every year and that teachers have some small COLA offsets years after they retire but I don't know the specifics.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
What sort of COLA do teachers receive? I know that NYPD/NYFS receive full COLA every year and that teachers have some small COLA offsets years after they retire but I don't know the specifics.
Perhaps I should not have used the term COLA. I do not know what the reason for the increase in the retirement pay was.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
Twingles (ah we meet again):
As far as the post about teacher A having all the geniuses and teacher B having all the morons (nice for a former educator to say - but it's all about the kids, right?) REALLY? I thought a competent principal divided up the kids as best they could to alleviate that problem. Statistically speaking I'm sure it happens once in a blue moon.

"genius" and "moron" are not insults, they are pedagogically valid terms refering to student IQ. Once again, you shoot from the hip when you fail to comprehend the nomenclature. Similar to an empty garbage can making the most noise.

The division of children into classes is done by whoever is in charge of scheduling, a very complex task usually given to an AP and a computer program. Since many of the "genius" genre desire advanced courses, one gets a stark division of IQ in classes much more frequently than your 'once in a blue moon' wild a** guess. I find it amusing that you unsuccessfully utilize the word "Statisically" in your sentence in an obvious, yet vain, attempt to give the illusion that you know what you are actually guessing at. Please respond, I can use the laugh.

Nice to see you again....oh be sure to activate your cadre of teacher-bashers to chip in against my views. Again, in a vain attempt to teach fastrudy that more people that oppose my views somehow equates to my views being incorrect. More people espousing the wrong view does not make it correct, merely popular.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post

Nice to see you again....oh be sure to activate your cadre of teacher-bashers to chip in against my views. Again, in a vain attempt to teach fastrudy that more people that oppose my views somehow equates to my views being incorrect. More people espousing the wrong view does not make it correct, merely popular.
Taxpayer basher!! Student basher! How's that?

Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
Pequaman:
How's that? Childish and unconvincing as an arguement, but sophmorically insulting on an infantile level. Thank you for asking.
1) I am a taxpayer also;
2) Go back and read my post regarding moron and genius. Take as much time as you need to fully comprehend it. It is okay to use more time.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Pequaman:
How's that? Childish and unconvincing as an arguement, but sophmorically insulting on an infantile level. Thank you for asking.
1) I am a taxpayer also;
2) Go back and read my post regarding moron and genius. Take as much time as you need to fully comprehend it. It is okay to use more time.
Lame..and arrogant. Not surprising. You're a taxpayer basher and a student basher. Most teachers are in it to teach. I bet you are one of the many who are in it for the money.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
"genius" and "moron" are not insults, they are pedagogically valid terms refering to student IQ.
LOL. That's the terminology the teachers are using these days? Sure. I thought it was more like "gifted" and "special needs." MORON is certainly not a socially acceptable term, and neither is genius if used sarcastically.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Pequaman:
1) I am a taxpayer also;
You're not a taxpayer HERE in any sense of the word. As a matter of fact, your pension is paid for by the taxpayers from HERE. So say "thank you" to Pequaman and the rest of us for providing you money to live on in retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island