Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,777,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James XV View Post
Yes, certainly into NYC. New York City is the shining star of the Northeast and would probably serve better as a city-state since it's the world's #1 economic and corporate powerhouse. That will not change in our lifetime.

Both happened in the last three months:

Cadillac brand to move headquarters to New York City

Anheuser-Busch InBev Moving U.S. Sales, Marketing Hub to New York City - NASDAQ.com

Even CNN recently moved all of their upper management and anchors to NYC:

CNN moves to centralize in New York - POLITICO.com

All three moves were simply the desire of CEO to live in NYC. NYC has the highest taxes in the U.S. but still captures by far the largest bulk of super-rich in this country (the world, actually), because there is an allure about NYC -- it's an iconic, glamorous and popular city and executives are willing to put up with the taxes just so they can live there. No way would they put up with the extreme high cost of living if they were located in any other city. New Jersey doesn't have that allure so I can certainly see why large corporations leave there. NYC-type elitists will never move to icky and hicky places like Atlanta or Charlotte.

Bank of America tested that once in 2008-2009 relocated many upper management Merill Lynch employees to Charlotte and they all fled back because it they found it so awful and wanted to go back to NYC.

Wells Fargo Bets on Charlotte Trading After BofA Flees back to NYC - Bloomberg
Shhhh! Not possible. According to MikeyKid Charlotte is paradise on earth and all business is running away from NY, city included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
That's not a real park. A park is somewhere you can hike around for a couple of miles and not see another soul, not hear cars on the Southern State roar by. Plus, in the summer such a small area is probably packed and you have to pay a fee to get in there.
Says you. You know what they say about opinions.....

Old 01-16-2015, 08:24 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,523,072 times
Quote:
Of course if I was Steve Jobs or Oprah Winfrey I would rather live in nyc than charlotte. But as a middle class person, charlotte would win hands down.
If you were Steve Jobs, you'd be dead.

Speaking of things that are deceased.... this topic for instance.

The horse is dead, too.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,137,639 times
Having lived near, but not in Charlotte, I can say it is a great city. Close enough, yet far enough. Nice people, it was just missing a beach for me, and as far as I can tell, there is still no way of importing the ocean to Charlotte.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,816,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Having lived near, but not in Charlotte, I can say it is a great city. Close enough, yet far enough. Nice people, it was just missing a beach for me, and as far as I can tell, there is still no way of importing the ocean to Charlotte.
On Long Island, how many times does the average person go to the beach? 3-5x a year? In Charlotte, you can drive to the outer banks and make long weekend out of it with the $10,000 that you saved in property taxes in your pocket.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:49 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,361,022 times
nuts2uiam:
Quote:
there is still no way of importing the ocean to Charlotte.
Or to where I am in the middle of Arizona. Got plenty of sand though.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,361,022 times
ny789987:
Quote:
In Charlotte, you can drive to the outer banks and make long weekend out of it with the $10,000 that you saved in property taxes in your pocket.
Or flush it down the toilet if you like, at any rate it's your's to do with as you please. Better than going into that cesspool of corruption which is New York's state and local governments.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:57 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,150,537 times
Quote:
On Long Island, how many times does the average person go to the beach? 3-5x a year? In Charlotte, you can drive to the outer banks and make long weekend out of it with the $10,000 that you saved in property taxes in your pocket.
My family and friends were pretty average and we'd be at the beach at least three times a week. Nothing beat grilling and chilling at the beach after work. These days when I hit the beach it's when we rent a place on the beach which was something that was tough to do on the Island.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:05 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,150,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I read the AB article and this is what stood out to me:

In the case of AB, it's about being closer and having easier access to other sectors with which it interacts

CNN's move is part of a larger consolidation by its parent company, Time Warner -- which is already in NYC. It appears that they are waiting on the Harbor Yards project to be built. Given politicians desire to look as though they attract jobs, one would have to think that a sweet heart tax deal was made somewhere in this scenario. Time Warner to sell HQ for $1.3 billion - Jan. 16, 2014
Yup, and with AB, CNN and Caddy they are all hurting regarding sales, so these moves make sense.
Bank of America is having a culture war going on.
One thing to keep in mind is how fast, easy and frequently a company can move their HQ and often do so for reasons that a sometimes almost trivial.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Yup, and with AB, CNN and Caddy they are all hurting regarding sales, so these moves make sense.
Bank of America is having a culture war going on.
One thing to keep in mind is how fast, easy and frequently a company can move their HQ and often do so for reasons that a sometimes almost trivial.
But it also illustrates that location does matter, despite the tax situation. Just because it's cheap in the south dosent mean it always makes good business sense to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island