Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 02:30 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
On the NYC forum people are complaining about having to wait 15 minutes just to get into a Trader Joe's and then you have to wait on line for an hour just to get out! Long Island isn't quite as bad, but the nyc whole metro area is rats in a cage. Driving anywhere there is a rat race, your also bumping into nasty people, and you have to pay top dollar just to live like an animal. Driving out of the Holland Tunnel is a huge relief. Space starts to open up around you, people slow down and start getting friendly, and you don't feel the pressure of having to rush to work 24/7 just to financially survive.
My life is far from a rat race nor am I just 'surviving' here. Myself and my family are happy. Why can't you get it through your head that not everyone's experience is the same as yours. Are you really that dense? Sorry your life here sucked. Enjoy your green space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 04:29 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Get a room you two!

Old 01-19-2015, 04:41 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
manekeniko:
Quote:
Get a room you two!
Are you kidding? This is fun! Besides I'm trying to reach my goal of 1,840 posts.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:48 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
manekeniko:

Are you kidding? This is fun! Besides I'm trying to reach my goal of 1,840 posts.
Haven't been on these threads in months. And this guy is still posting about how much he hates New York? Really time to move on and get a life. Some people just can't let go.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:24 PM

peconic117:
Quote:
My life is far from a rat race nor am I just 'surviving' here. Myself and my family are happy.
Well good for you, and I don't mean that sarcastically. That's all that really counts. It's not up to me to decide where you should or shouldn't live. However when topics come up that relate to people who have moved from this area it is a subject that I am quite familiar with. I am interested in their experiences as I hope that they would want to hear mine. I at least have a vantage point having lived in both places to make a comparison between the two. Most of us who have moved, at least those who I've come into contact with including friends, relatives, and neighbors have all come to the conclusion that their lives have improved drastically since leaving the State of New York. They all feel the same as I do that a tremendous burden has been lifted off of their shoulders. It doesn't matter which state they moved to, the Carolina's, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Texas and for me Arizona. I still contact them on a regular basis and none of them plan on returning, ever. All we talk about is how lucky we are to have left and of our different experiences in those particular states. Kind of a camaraderie of ex-pats.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-19-2015 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 05:42 PM

rubygreta:
Ah, my dear old friend, I see you just can't let go either. I hate to say this but I've agreed with you on many subjects, however life in New York is obviously not one of them. I do have a life, a very good one as a matter of fact. I also like to post on different forums, and will continue to do so. It's that thing called the 1st Amendment. No one's forcing you to read them yet you do. Don't like what I have to say? Just ignore me, it really is that simple. Maybe it's time for you to move on and get a life as you have no problem posting your comments either. Neither you nor I or anyone else for that matter has any business telling others whether they should be allowed to express their views or not or as often as they want.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-19-2015 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
Je suis charlie!!!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:22 PM

519 posts, read 597,862 times
I beat all you downgraders...I bought a large house in a little known suburb in OH. It's safe, the parks are free, nature, lakes and open spaces aplenty,friendly people, pretty good schools. Blows away pittsburgh, the carolinas, fl, tx. I paid $23,000 cash/taxes 2k a year, SUCKAZ!!!!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:39 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
If only there was a contest to begin with... OP's story fell apart over 2 weeks ago. At this point we should just shout profanities at each other so there's reason to close this nonsense.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:07 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
peconic117:

Well good for you, and I don't mean that sarcastically. That's all that really counts. It's not up to me to decide where you should or shouldn't live. However when topics come up that relate to people who have moved from this area it is a subject that I am quite familiar with. I am interested in their experiences as I hope that they would want to hear mine. I at least have a vantage point having lived in both places to make a comparison between the two. Most of us who have moved, at least those who I've come into contact with including friends, relatives, and neighbors have all come to the conclusion that
their lives have improved drastically since leaving the State of New York. Tbmp byhey all feel the same as I do that a i tremendous burden has been lifted off of their shoulders. It doesn't matter which state they moved to, the Carolina's, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Texas and for me Arizona. I still contact them on a regular basis and none of them plan on returning, ever. All we talk about is how lucky we are to have left and of our different experiences in those particular states. Kind of a camaraderie of ex-pats.

I agree but I will also say that I loved LI while I was there, problems and all, but for this time of my life I am very happy living here now and think it is a "right time, right place for me now".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island