Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 08:29 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times

Advertisements

^ the OP even posted in his own forum stating how it's so depressingly dreary there. Coincidentally I read another post today saying the same thing (except it was the Scranton area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,849 times
You make valid points regarding the tax situation in New York. It sucks.

But I don't care if property taxes in Myrtle Beach or Las Vegas or Wichita are zero. I could never live there and lots of other places 12 months a year.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:46 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Good - so you get it. I think you really should consider that I have never hyped my particular area as a "utopia" or called people stupid for choosing to live on LI in all the years I've been posting here. Sure, I will act like a d^ck or be a wise arse - but that's for fun on an anonymous forum.

Fair enough.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:55 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ the OP even posted in his own forum stating how it's so depressingly dreary there. Coincidentally I read another post today saying the same thing (except it was the Scranton area).
You are going to get more clouds being on the west side of a mountain range and close to a Great Lake. December was dreary, but I have been surprised by the amount of bright blue snowy days this month. Regardless, next winter, I will head to the Carribean with some of the money I am saving on property taxes. And if I recall, LI isn't exactly a barrel of sunshine in January either.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
You are going to get more clouds being on the west side of a mountain range and close to a Great Lake. December was dreary, but I have been surprised by the amount of bright blue snowy days this month. Regardless, next winter, I will head to the Carribean with some of the money I am saving on property taxes. And if I recall, LI isn't exactly a barrel of sunshine in January either.
you should be there NOW considering all the money you've saved not owning a house!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:55 AM

413 posts, read 599,174 times
"with the $10,000 I am saving on property taxes."

Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
At this point you're coming across as a very bitter person with the constant rants about ex-pats playing in front of your house. If you are happy and secure with where you live then just ignore the ex-pat posts and rants that you consider bitter or demeaning to your home instead of going off on a rant about who can post where. If what they're saying isn't true then don't get yourself riled up about them, and if you find yourself getting angry about them it may be time to step away from the keyboard and go out and enjoy some of the good things Long Island has to offer.
You know I don't back down on this subject. Also, I am not the aggressor here.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I_Love_LI_but:

Me, get a hobby? I have a few. As for you 15,990 posts it's obvious what your hobby is. The rest of your nonsense I won't even reply to.
Interesting when somebody is beat and has nothing to say on this thread they instead discuss post counts. I could NOT care less!

You won't reply to it because it's all facts about AZ that are extremely negative. Especially when compared to NY.

Here's another True and Negative Fact about AZ:

The states with the worst schools, 2015
https://homes.yahoo.com/news/the-sta...185846609.html

Arizona has the FIFTH worst schools in the country, right behind Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.

Quote:
5. Arizona
Overall grade: D+
State score: 67.6
Per-pupil spending: $8,101 (2nd lowest)
High school graduation rate: 77.0% (12th lowest)
Eighth-graders proficient in math or reading: 30.6% (14th lowest)

School districts in Arizona spent $8,101 per pupil in 2012, the second lowest average expenditure nationwide. As in most of the worst-rated states, Arizona allocates relatively little tax revenue to education. The state spent just 2.5% of state GDP on education in 2012, nearly the lowest proportion of any state. On average, across the U.S. education expenditure accounted for 3.4% of state GDP. As in other states with high proportions of immigrants, many children from Arizona’s non-English-speaking families may find instruction more difficult than their peers. The parents of about a quarter of children did not speak fluent English, one of the lowest rates in the country. While more than 34% of eighth-graders nationwide were proficient on reading exams, less than 28% in Arizona were, one of the lowest rates.
Yup, Arizona, a veritable paradise! Now that we can see how poorly educated Arizonans are, we can see why such ridiculous, backward, prejudiced, and oppressive laws are thought up.

Again, cheaper isn't always better!

As for your nattering about how NYC has so many immigrants who you think don't speak English, NEWSFLASH, at least NYC gets mostly educated immigrants, many who already are fluent in English when they get here, instead of the pathetic crowd in AZ bolded above.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
This has really been my main point during these discussions - how QoL is a major driver that seems to be ignored in favor of equating all of LI as being equally awesome sauce. We know it's not. It's town by town.

Don't pretend taxes are so high on LI because it's great
- that's a fallacy that I know you're fully aware of...

I still don't understand why someone in your position would live in the suburbs at all. But that's what it's all about - different strokes for different folks. y'all
I am not pretending that and you know it. I am just asking if there's cheap living available on LI as you say, please tell us which areas have taxes as cheap as the ex-pat paradises.

We live in the suburbs instead of NYC because my husband wanted a large yard to practice for the sport he is involved in and you won't get that in NYC. I wouldn't mind living in NYC, but there is an income tax issue that at this point makes LI property taxes a better value than NYC income tax plus NYC property taxes for us. Anyway, I like it here. He did not grow up here and he likes it here too. Amazing, isn't it?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Well, sure... my Mom is still in her suburban LI house and we flew the coop long ago. But we're talking Dual Income No Kids (DINK) here. That's what I am saying is unusual, not unheard of or anything... just unusual. I mean she doesn't like in Port Washington or the like. It's Valley Stream! lol
Very funny from the man who used to live in Farmingville.

It was my starter home and I still love it. We don't need to "upgrade" to Port Washington or the rest of the North Shore, although many people do for the prestige factor and to get ahead of the Joneses. I don't drive an uber expensive car either and I prefer to keep my cars longer than the show off types who lease a new one every 2 years. I don't need to "show off" in front of others. I lived in that environment when I was growing up and I found it phony and annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island