Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
why do you ignore the quote button?
Probably doesn't understand how to use it. Can't even use proper English ("could care less" duh).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
/ this thread already

it's a darn GOOD thing we don't all like the same place. Imagine 300 million Americans living in the same area.
Exactly!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 AM

It's interesting to note that the OP and one of the main gadflies on this thread BOTH have screennames identifying with NY! Are they trying to make themselves seem more important by having a connection with NY, even though they hate it?

ny******* (gibberish numbers) and Ex New Yorker, why do you have NY in your screennames? If you really hate NY so much it does not make any sense to identify yourself with it. You can change your screennames on CD rather easily if you wanted to disassociate yourself from NY!

Old 01-22-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I_Love_LI_but:

Oh really, well who the hell do you think paid for it for 30 years? Paid all the taxes over that period of time? Paid for the up keep? Do you think the house was given to me for nothing? Add that all up and I didn't make a damn thing. My God, can you really be that ignorant! But keep on posting, I love it when people such as you make fools out of themselves.
Now that I know you are not from LI, but from one of the lower income areas of Westchester, I have to apologize for assuming you made significant money on the sale of your NY home. You probably sold your house for somewhere in the $200K's if you were lucky. Interesting move, as you went from out of the frying pan into the fire though in regards to illegal aliens. Peekskill has a bunch, but AZ is the capitol of illegal aliens in the USA.

PS: We haven't heard from you for awhile! Are you okay? Maybe you finally mustered up the courage to start a thread about how horrible it is in NY in the WESTCHESTER forum, where you are actually from. Or maybe you are having your screenname changed to take the reference to NY out of it.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Important foreign dignitaries only visit important places.
We've had the Queen of England here in Richmond.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:34 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Quote:
I could take a tour down there soon of NC and SC. We have a friend planning to move to SC in a gated community in an undeveloped hick area. All he can talk about is how his taxes will only be $1,500 a year. He's already asking us to visit even before he's moved. He's got the house he owned for 20 years for sale for 4 times what he paid for it and plans to buy the new house cash and will have enough money left over to supplement his retirement. Now say he lived in some hick town ... what kind of appreciation would he have gotten? The difference between him and some of the posters on he is that he is smart enough to know what side his bread is buttered on and appreciates living on LI for getting a boost to go somewhere else for retirement. Again, a person who is not a dick about it.
I remember you mentioning that friend - I'm a stones throw from SC, but I doubt the "undeveloped hick area" you're referring to is a suburb of Charlotte like Fort Mill. SC is very retirement friendly.

As a pure percentage, any RE you bought 20+ years ago would have appreciated substantially by now. Yes you could argue Detroit, foreclosure crushed area, or a really really rural area, but those are likely the exception rather than the rule for the type of person we're talking about.

Lastly, your friend isn't special because (s)he's "not a dick about it"... (s)he made a killing on the house and going to retire. That has been the formula from LI for the longest time. The real question is can it continue? Will someone who buys now at 450k sell in 20 years at 1.8MM (the same 4 times you hype everyone needs to thank LI for)? Do you really find that realistic?

All good things come to an end - you just have to know when it is the right time to make the move.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:43 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I remember you mentioning that friend - I'm a stones throw from SC, but I doubt the "undeveloped hick area" you're referring to is a suburb of Charlotte like Fort Mill. SC is very retirement friendly.

As a pure percentage, any RE you bought 20+ years ago would have appreciated substantially by now. Yes you could argue Detroit, foreclosure crushed area, or a really really rural area, but those are likely the exception rather than the rule for the type of person we're talking about.

Lastly, your friend isn't special because (s)he's "not a dick about it"... (s)he made a killing on the house and going to retire. That has been the formula from LI for the longest time. The real question is can it continue? Will someone who buys now at 450k sell in 20 years at 1.8MM (the same 4 times you hype everyone needs to thank LI for)? Do you really find that realistic?

All good things come to an end - you just have to know when it is the right time to make the move.
I would counter with did someone who bought their LI home 30+ years ago for 40k ever think their house would be worth 500k? Did that seem realistic back then?? Anything can happen MikeyKid.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:13 PM

413 posts, read 599,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I don't think "peconic117" is laughing anymore! I think I struck a nerve. And it's not their "funnybone". I got a million of 'em. That's all folks!
You're a legend in your own hand.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times
Quote:
I know that and I appreciate those that don't. And some of the worst ones have not been heard from in a long time, thankfully.

This is a discussion forum and sometimes it gets heated. Also, please note that I DO NOT challenge people who come on this thread or others like it and just describe their experiences with moving WITHOUT bashing LI.
I was responding to your post alleging that CSK eggs on the radicals. My point is that it's not him singularly, but anyone who chooses to respond and entertain the nonsense.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:32 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I would counter with did someone who bought their LI home 30+ years ago for 40k ever think their house would be worth 500k? Did that seem realistic back then?? Anything can happen MikeyKid.
That's a logical fallacy... Someone today is hyping the very fact that values actually did go up that much in that time span - so there's a precedent today that did not exist 30 years ago. You might even call it an expectation. 30 years is kind of a bad number anyway because the vast majority of the spike happened from the late 90s to 2007ish. It's actually down since then, so if you bought in the early 2000s you're actually still playing catch-up.

It's more likely LI is lost to the oceans than the median price in Nassau going from 450k today to 1.8MM in 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island