Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 01:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Yeah, but what is IT that makes it worth all that extra effort? As I enjoy all the wide open spaces here, the parks, the nice people, and the ability to travel overseas every year with the $10,000 I save in property taxes, you have to wonder what you get in return for all that sacrifice on Long Island? Is it the pizza, the bagels? The ability to see a show in Manhattan once a month? The schools are arguably okay, but you are paying through the nose for them.
What is IT that made moving to where you are now worth the extra effort to move there?

When I watch those TV shows about people living in rural Alaska and how hard they work for just the basics in life (food lasting through the winter, a warm cabin, walking miles to catch the only train that goes through so they can get to a town and buy things, etc.), I think they are insane. But IT is worth the extra, even Herculean, effort to them to live that way. You will NOT see me going to the Alaska forum and posting threads about how it sucks there and they should move to LI though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 02:21 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then please stop egging on the ones who left and are bitter if that's the way you really feel.
At this point you're coming across as a very bitter person with the constant rants about ex-pats playing in front of your house. If you are happy and secure with where you live then just ignore the ex-pat posts and rants that you consider bitter or demeaning to your home instead of going off on a rant about who can post where. If what they're saying isn't true then don't get yourself riled up about them, and if you find yourself getting angry about them it may be time to step away from the keyboard and go out and enjoy some of the good things Long Island has to offer.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Next time you post facts off the interwebs, I will remember this!
Please do, I usually try to verify where the facts come from and if they are facts or just data.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,261,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
rubygreta:
Ah, my dear old friend, I see you just can't let go either. I hate to say this but I've agreed with you on many subjects, however life in New York is obviously not one of them. I do have a life, a very good one as a matter of fact. I also like to post on different forums, and will continue to do so. It's that thing called the 1st Amendment. No one's forcing you to read them yet you do. Don't like what I have to say? Just ignore me, it really is that simple. Maybe it's time for you to move on and get a life as you have no problem posting your comments either. Neither you nor I or anyone else for that matter has any business telling others whether they should be allowed to express their views or not or as often as they want.
I don't do it every day. And I'm not telling you to shut up. I just think it's beyond bizarre that you can't let go.

Here in lower Westchester County, they just announced 500+ market rate rentals coming to downtown White Plains. There are 450 now under construction in Yonkers (with another 1,000 likely), and 250 in Fleetwood/Mount Vernon. Developers are responding to a vacancy rate that is next to nothing.

Real estate agents report major shortages of listings of single-family houses, cooperative apartments and condominiums.

I guess my point is that if it sucks so bad here, why is it so hard to find a place to live?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:24 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
it's disingenuous to not acknowledge that you can find "cheap housing" on LI (even Nassau).
Not really. Housing costs even in bad neighborhoods are expensive here compared to most of the country. You've actually gotta be kidding with me with this argument. There are tons of articles on this subject about the complete lack of affordable housing on LI, in fact I don't think I've ever heard 'cheap living' and Long Island in the same sentence before. Maybe just in MileyKid land...

Old 01-20-2015, 03:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You know, there are many reasons why people DO and DON'T move. Maybe they like living (or need to live) near their family. Maybe they have a job that doesn't allow them to leave - not just high paying Wall St. jobs but - yes - gravy train jobs. I would stick it out for that pension and those benefits too. It's a bit of a race against time with taxes going up so fast the last 15 years or so, but most are thinking it's worth it to stick it out.[/i]
All the more reason for those productive members of society who aren't milking the "gravy train" jobs to get out. Why hang around LI and pay through the nose in taxes, just so that some of your neighbors who are parasites can milk off your labor and fund a fat, early retirement. An added bonus of moving off of LI is that you get to give your middle finger to all of these parasites who have feeding off you in the form of sky high property taxes.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:08 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
All the more reason for those productive members of society who aren't milking the "gravy train" jobs to get out. Why hang around LI and pay through the nose in taxes, just so that some of your neighbors who are parasites can milk off your labor and fund a fat, early retirement. An added bonus of moving off of LI is that you get to give your middle finger to all of these parasites who have feeding off you in the form of sky high property taxes.
I gave you a whole list of reasons why. I doubt most of these cheerleaders will spend their retirement on LI, and that's a time when the fear and inertia crowd meets "living on a fixed income" and for some people fear and inertia still win.

My parents didn't leave till my sister took the plunge and now they act like they invented moving for a better quality of life. Truth is they would still be on LI if we were all still there, lamenting their $12K property tax and high maintenance cost on their townhouse. They could afford it, but you're right - no reason to - but still they stayed because we were there.

Bottom line is most people are aware that they are paying too much to live in the NY Metro - they aren't needing to hear it from you.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:41 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
I_Love_LI_but:
Quote:
Or, even better, get a hobby
Me, get a hobby? I have a few. As for you 15,990 posts it's obvious what your hobby is. The rest of your nonsense I won't even reply to.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:50 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
ClarkStreetKid:
Quote:
At this point you're coming across as a very bitter person with the constant rants about ex-pats playing in front of your house. If you are happy and secure with where you live then just ignore the ex-pat posts and rants that you consider bitter or demeaning to your home instead of going off on a rant about who can post where. If what they're saying isn't true then don't get yourself riled up about them, and if you find yourself getting angry about them it may be time to step away from the keyboard and go out and enjoy some of the good things Long Island has to offer.
Amen, brother!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:03 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,370 times
43 pages of nonsensical back and forth. We get it you don't see a value in living on long island. No problem.
Long Island is a great place to live and raise a family for millions. No need to defend it to the same few naysayers who love getting you few defenders riled up.

LI is going to be fine. When a city kid grows up and can't afford that 650k PoS in nyc he usually opts between Jersey and LI. When the Nassau resident feels crowded and unsafe he usually moves to Suffolk. This cycle has been happening for 40 years. Some of those that flee do to changing demographics have internal issues that prevent them from coexisting with unfamiliar faces. We will see how the tax crisis will shape the future but, as of now there is a lot of redevelopment and things are looking decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island