Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 11:10 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I_Love_LI_but:

I've never been to Vegas, no desire to go there, it's just another city same for Phoenix or Tucson. Different people like different things. I have lived in both the New York metro area where I spent most of my life, and now the great American Southwest. I'm now living in the place of my dreams and one that I love. I kind of feel the same way about New York now that I'm out of there. It might be a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Had enough of it. Especially knowing what I know now, having lived in both places. Some may not want to hear that but I could care less it's my life. My decision to leave was my own choice and other than getting married it was the best decision in my life.
1. The correct way to say it is you "could NOT care less"

2. If you don't care what we think of your decisions why are you here on the LI board spouting off about them? You should just be happy in AZ and leave us alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 11:11 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
I_Love_LI_but:
Quote:
And what did he choose? One of the most notoriously crime-ridden, dangerous states in the nation. Say "hi" to Sheriff Joe Arpaio for me!
If it was so terrible out here, I could leave anytime. At least I have that freedom.

Quote:
He probably can barely find anyone to speak English with! He should learn Spanish and then he might be able to make some friends out there!
I guess you've never been to New York City? You are indeed an ignorant fool.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I_Love_LI_but:

If it was so terrible out here, I could leave anytime. At least I have that freedom.

I guess you've never been to New York City? You are indeed an ignorant fool.
When some people are beat on here in every which way, then they turn to babyish personal attacks.

You should be glad I'm not one of those people who go running to the moderators for everything or you'd have your post above deleted for violating the TOS and then be banned from posting for awhile.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:16 AM

I_Love_LI_but:
Quote:
You should just be happy in AZ and leave us alone.
Another free speech advocate, people should only be allowed to post if they post what you want to hear. 15,979 posts! To my 541. My you've got busy little fingers. Talk about spouting off? You sure have been making your voice heard loud and clear.

Quote:
You should be glad I'm not one of those people who go running to the moderators for everything or you'd have your post above deleted for violating the TOS and then be banned from posting for awhile.
My God, I'm quaking in my boots. Typical answer from people from New York. Ban everything and anything that they do not agree with. No wonder so many are leaving. Your own governor stated that "people who do not think like him are not welcome in New York". The hallmark of tolerance and civility.

Quote:
When some people are beat on here in every which way, then they turn to babyish personal attacks.
To make a statement about barely finding anyone who can speak English and coming from the New York metro are is indeed an ignorant fool. New York City is like a foreign country where on earth have you been?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-19-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 01:04 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Here's another one!

And what did he choose? One of the most notoriously crime-ridden, dangerous states in the nation. Say "hi" to Sheriff Joe Arpaio for me!
Even states with higher crime rates have areas with low crime rates, just like LI has areas with high crime rates.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:17 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,849 times
I live in Westchester. Rode my bike last fall on the North Fork (Sound Avenue and environs). Blue sky, 60 degrees. One of the prettiest places I have every explored. And I best most Long Islanders have never even been there.

You know, it's not all Old Country Road and Sunrise Highway.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:18 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You wish!

Remember the national housing market downturn? Where in many places home values went down to less than half what their owners paid for them?

LI was barely affected compared to the "hotspots."

If you sold a home on LI at a significant profit that allowed you to buy your southern McMansion, you should be grateful to LI, not on CD bashing it. What if you grew up and spent your working life in that southern town? Would you have the brand new McMansion now or be living in a trailer for retirement?
Why do you think people in other parts of the country can't do well on their own without coming from LI? I live a neighborhood that plenty of people from other states are able to afford, with plenty of local bread folks who went to the local bumpkin schools who are now making over 6 figures who and were able to buy a new house and trade up to a bigger one when they needed to.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:56 PM

Redd Jedd:
Quote:
Why do you think people in other parts of the country can't do well on their own without coming from LI? I live a neighborhood that plenty of people from other states are able to afford, with plenty of local bread folks who went to the local bumpkin schools who are now making over 6 figures who and were able to buy a new house and trade up to a bigger one when they needed to.
Outstanding! Same here. I now live in a neighborhood with people from all walks of life and from all over the country. We're here because we want to be here. Not because we have to be here. There's a big difference. We are self employed and had the opportunity to live anywhere we choose. We moved out here not knowing a single soul and were surprised how easy it was to make new friends and how genuinely happy people out here are. Getting out of the New York metro area has been a tremendous burden lifted off of our shoulders. We paid our dues living there in property taxes for 30 years which are about 10 times what we pay out here. Add that all up and we would have an even better home than we have now. Or we could have invested it. We owe the New York metro area nothing. One of the main reasons I post here is to inform people based on my own personal experience that they can have a much better quality of life once they are out of there. Too bad if some don't like it. They for some reason or the other are probably stuck there.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:20 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,748 times
On the NYC forum people are complaining about having to wait 15 minutes just to get into a Trader Joe's and then you have to wait on line for an hour just to get out! Long Island isn't quite as bad, but the nyc whole metro area is rats in a cage. Driving anywhere there is a rat race, your also bumping into nasty people, and you have to pay top dollar just to live like an animal. Driving out of the Holland Tunnel is a huge relief. Space starts to open up around you, people slow down and start getting friendly, and you don't feel the pressure of having to rush to work 24/7 just to financially survive.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:25 PM

jetties:
Quote:
Apparently math isn't one of your strong skills - I have 1,840 posts over 5 years while you have your total in less than two.
Oh really? 1,840 divided by 5=368. 537 divided by 2=268.5. Maybe you'd better check your math skills or use a calculator. You do know how to use one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island