Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
peconic117:

Well good for you, and I don't mean that sarcastically. That's all that really counts. It's not up to me to decide where you should or shouldn't live. However when topics come up that relate to people who have moved from this area it is a subject that I am quite familiar with. I am interested in their experiences as I hope that they would want to hear mine. I at least have a vantage point having lived in both places to make a comparison between the two. Most of us who have moved, at least those who I've come into contact with including friends, relatives, and neighbors have all come to the conclusion that their lives have improved drastically since leaving the State of New York. They all feel the same as I do that a tremendous burden has been lifted off of their shoulders. It doesn't matter which state they moved to, the Carolina's, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Texas and for me Arizona. I still contact them on a regular basis and none of them plan on returning, ever. All we talk about is how lucky we are to have left and of our different experiences in those particular states. Kind of a camaraderie of ex-pats.

Just FYI I'm not one of this LIers who never left the state. I lived over a decade of my life in Florida. Much of my family is still there. My parents and sister would never move back to LI, My brother however would move back on a second if he could. I've also known many people throughout the years who moved down and loved it and also those that hated it and moved back within a year. As I've said before life outside of LI in one of the ex-pat 'utopias' isn't paradise for everybody, but good for you that you found your little slice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Just FYI I'm not one of this LIers who never left the state. I lived over a decade of my life in Florida. Much of my family is still there. My parents and sister would never move back to LI, My brother however would move back on a second if he could. I've also known many people throughout the years who moved down and loved it and also those that hated it and moved back within a year. As I've said before life outside of LI in one of the ex-pat 'utopias' isn't paradise for everybody, but good for you that you found your little slice.
Best post so far. I'm about to become an expat, and hoping the change will be just what I need. Also, I constantly feel that I'm being ripped off every day in Nassau County, and this degrades the NY experience considerably. I could do without those extra hands in my pocket, and would rather fund my own future than NY's rich public sector.

After traveling to Europe, Asia Minor, the west coast and riding cross country a couple of times, I have seen that life doesn't begin and end in NY. The world is an interesting place and I'm up for something new.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Who's the whacko poser dude? You can be anything you want on the interweb! LOL - I'm a pron star btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Of course if you compare the most affluent neighborhoods (which btw still don't compare to home values on the Gold Coast) but by in large it's the truth when it comes to typical middle class neighborhoods in the area. And I'm comparing apples to apples here, same type of house vs same type of house.

Bottom line Charlotte median home price around $140-165 from multiple sources. Nassau median 440-470. Are you really going to even argue home values here? Why do you think one of the major reasons people go to NC in the first place, more house for the money, low taxes. You really think a 1800sq ft split in Charlotte that's 40+ years old would go for 450-500k??
The problem is that you're not comparing apples to apples. You can't compare the city of Charlotte (Meck county) to Nassau county... it won't compute. There are absolutely prime areas within South Charlotte that you'll pay 450-500k for your "1800sq ft split". This is difficult for you to comprehend because you don't know the area. I also disagree with your characterization of "one of the major reasons". Quality of Life is more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And that's exactly who is clamoring for "cheap" housing, etc., and always talking about moving out of NY ... them and retirees. If you think about it, it makes sense for them, but I wish they would stop trying to tell everyone else what to do. No, folks, you're not "smarter" than those who live on LI or in NYC, you just have lower standards. Many people in NYC and on LI would not be caught dead living in Charlotte. Even though it is a moderate city, it is fourth-rate or lower compared to locations like NYC, Silicon Valley and San Francisco. Lately people are so desperate they are on here touting the virtues of super-cheap and really boring southern areas. South Carolina and Tennessee for instance. That blows my mind because they are both among the most crime-ridden states in the USA. Are they really so desperate for cheap living? It's sad. If my husband and I moved off LI, it would be to another suburban area of a world class city, as per the list above. I would not live near anything below a second-rate city if I had to ... and only for career reasons at that.
That list you're quoting is a Los Angeles perspective discussing people graduating with an Engineering degree from an Ivy league school... almost all being hired by Google. It is NOT the big picture by any stretch of the imagination.

You can find cheap living on Long Island - very easily. Why do you conveniently forget that in your mini rants?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:55 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Because ranting is easy and why so many do it online. It's also easy for people to post "facts" pulled off of the interweb that are unrelated to the conversation, of dubious value or that are just data points without any real context.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
I believe Long Island must be a special place.

Posts draw people boasting about how unsuccessful they were while living here, because they are so successful in their current home. It does not say anything about Long Island, except that it takes an extraordinary effort to be successful here.

Not everyone can be successful on Long Island, and choose to move where they can be successful. The people returning to say what a terrible place this is, return with a bitter taste in their mouth. They want to poison the waters for anyone living here, or wishing to move here.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 01-20-2015 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: spellint

Old 01-20-2015, 11:21 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

The problem is that you're not comparing apples to apples. You can't compare the city of Charlotte (Meck county) to Nassau county... it won't compute. There are absolutely prime areas within South Charlotte that you'll pay 450-500k for your "1800sq ft split". This is difficult for you to comprehend because you don't know the area. I also disagree with your characterization of "one of the major reasons". Quality of Life is more appropriate.

Sorry I'm not buying it. People aren't moving to Charlotte to buy a 500k 50 year old split otherwise they might as well stay up north. That's not why people flock to cities down south. Look I know you think Charlotte is a crime free, economic paradise on earth without flaw, and LI is hell, but facts are facts. Nassau median home values on average are way above Charlottes (which for new buyer looking to move there is a good thing). You can say you can't compare county to county (which is complete nonsense) but its a fact. Nassau has its rich and poor areas too.

Last edited by peconic117; 01-20-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I believe Long Island must be a special place.

Posts draw people boasting about how unsuccessful they were while living here, because they are so successful in their current home. It does not say anything about Long Island, except that it takes an extraordinary effort to be successful here.

Not everyone can be successful on Long Island, and choose to move where they can be successful. The people returning to say what a terrible place this is, return with a bitter taste in their mouth. They want to poison the waters for anyone living here, or wishing to move here.

All depends on the reasons a person left. I didn't leave bitter or hating Long Island, so I don't have many negative things about it, still enjoy visiting and fully understand why friends still live there.
I will agree that it takes extra effort to live on Long Island, but that's been the case for a long time and neither makes it a superior or inferior place to live. It just is what it is.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:10 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
All depends on the reasons a person left. I didn't leave bitter or hating Long Island, so I don't have many negative things about it, still enjoy visiting and fully understand why friends still live there.
I will agree that it takes extra effort to live on Long Island, but that's been the case for a long time and neither makes it a superior or inferior place to live. It just is what it is.
Yeah, but what is IT that makes it worth all that extra effort? As I enjoy all the wide open spaces here, the parks, the nice people, and the ability to travel overseas every year with the $10,000 I save in property taxes, you have to wonder what you get in return for all that sacrifice on Long Island? Is it the pizza, the bagels? The ability to see a show in Manhattan once a month? The schools are arguably okay, but you are paying through the nose for them.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Yeah, but what is IT that makes it worth all that extra effort? As I enjoy all the wide open spaces here, the parks, the nice people, and the ability to travel overseas every year with the $10,000 I save in property taxes, you have to wonder what you get in return for all that sacrifice on Long Island? Is it the pizza, the bagels? The ability to see a show in Manhattan once a month? The schools are arguably okay, but you are paying through the nose for them.
I hear you, but once again, that's up to the person. Several of my friends on Long Island live in Sag Harbor, Middle Island by Cathedral Pines, Northport Village and Sayville by the water, and they love it. They know it's a trade-off between living somewhere else for less with more ease and where they do, but they choose to make their homes in those towns because they just like it and their lifestyles. I have other friends who still live in the old neighborhood and they like it because it's been their home for 45 years. I can't find any fault with where they choose to live as all are happy, have a roof over their heads and jobs.

Would I move back? Well, not at the moment as life is pretty easy for us with a commute that's under 10 minutes, excellent paying jobs, a neighborhood we like complete with a bunch of folks from back home. So even though we've both had job offers from up there they've just never been good enough to make us want to move, but that doesn't mean we hate Long Island. We also have very good pizza, bagels and don't mind catching the road shows instead of Broadway so those things are off the table to make us go back.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
You know, there are many reasons why people DO and DON'T move. Maybe they like living (or need to live) near their family. Maybe they have a job that doesn't allow them to leave - not just high paying Wall St. jobs but - yes - gravy train jobs. I would stick it out for that pension and those benefits too. It's a bit of a race against time with taxes going up so fast the last 15 years or so, but most are thinking it's worth it to stick it out.

Or maybe they are a doctor or a lawyer. Not so easy to give up your practice and leave - get licensed in another state, etc. And yes, sometimes it boils down to fear and/or inertia. But if one of those things is the reason someone isn't leaving, telling them how crazy they are for staying probably isn't motivating.

And I do think there are people who don't want to give up their identity as a NYer. I lived on LI for 43 years, and owned a house there for 13. Lived amongst people just like me with jobs and kids. Didn't know ANYONE who made a regular practice of going into the city - most were either sick of it from the work week or too busy with their kids' activities to have time. But the idea of not living right outside is a sticking point nonetheless. YOU aren't going to change that mindset when you don't even know these people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island