Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 07:34 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times

Advertisements

manekeniko:
Quote:
You have said nothing that addresses the deep, intractable problems we're having on LI, and continue to preen and strut about NY and its billionaires and that every place that is not NY is a third rate hovel.
Yes! That's absolutely correct. So what if there's a lot of billionaires living in New York? What good does that do for the average person who is struggling to keep their heads above water? Because of the astronomical cost of living there. It's a great big wonderful country with a hell of a lot nicer places to live than the New York metro area or other major U.S. cities. They are far from being a third rate hovel. There is just nothing like being away from all that crap. If New York didn't start from the beginning as a port city. I wonder how it would have turned out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 07:39 PM

53 posts, read 71,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
manekeniko:

Yes! That's absolutely correct. So what if there's a lot of billionaires living in New York? What good does that do for the average person who is struggling to keep their heads above water? Because of the astronomical cost of living there. It's a great big wonderful country with a hell of a lot nicer places to live than the New York metro area or other major U.S. cities. They are far from being a third rate hovel. There is just nothing like being away from all that crap. If New York didn't start from the beginning as a port city. I wonder how it would have turned out?

I would be bitter like you if I couldn't hack it in the most iconic city in the world too. Luckily I can live anywhere my heart desires and I am moving back to where I belong - NYC.

New York City's geographical location is only part of why it continues to be so dominant and successful. Throw in the fact that they just don't make cities like that anymore - walkable, grand architecture. And throw in all of the world's top restaurants, shopping and culture. I'm You know, there is a reason NYC was voted the world's favorite city in the largest global poll ever conducted.

There's a shocker. Not. It's such a fabulous place but it isn't for everyone. Some people like living in bland and unimportant wastelands but I love living in the middle of everything that matters.

Poll: New York is the World's favorite city - followed by London and Paris

Old 01-18-2015, 08:12 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James XV View Post
I would be bitter like you if I couldn't hack it in the most iconic city in the world too. Luckily I can live anywhere my heart desires and I am moving back to where I belong - NYC.
I'm not bitter at all, and because I work online I can live anyplace I like as well. I could sell this place and move to NYC if I choose to. But I choose not to.

In my business, which is online marketing, I encounter millionaires, thousandaires and people who are struggling to pay the rent. I have seen that true big shots usually behave discreetly. The biggest blowhards are those earning small potatoes. Take the hint.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:25 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
I'm actually from another elite city - London. I am a CEO and lived in Manhattan for 5 years. And also rented a home in the Hamptons (Amagansett) during the summer. This year, I am finally ridding myself of this Houston existence and moving back to where one with my fine taste belongs - Manhattan.

Maybe I'll be a Long Island homeowner as I will probably purchase a home in the Hamptons when I return. I do believe the Hamptons are on Long Island so I have a right to share my thoughts. Kindly get over it.
Great job editing your original post, this one is more impressive. You're free to share your thoughts but it's obvious you have nothing to say about Long Island.
By the way if you want to learn to be a Long Islander try buying in Levittown, a better class of people than you may want to rub shoulders with but it could help you with your self esteem.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:26 PM

James XV:
Quote:
I'm actually from another elite city - London. I am a CEO and lived in Manhattan for 5 years. And also rented a home in the Hamptons (Amagansett) during the summer. This year, I am finally ridding myself of this Houston existence and moving back to where one with my fine taste belongs - Manhattan.
Well pardon me, do you have any "Grey Poupon?" If you like living in Manhattan, great you've found your paradise. As for fine tastes that is all a matter of opinion. As for me I'd much rather get into my truck and drive out onto some remote desert highway, park it and wander off into the middle of nowhere. Take my vintage cars for a ride and not have to worry about being run off the road by impatient people in a hurry to get nowhere except to the next traffic light. It's better than being stuck on the BQE, the LIE, the Holland Tunnel, or the Cross Bronx Expressway. There's just nothing like waking up in the morning to clear blue skies, beautiful sunsets and at night actually being able to see stars and the arms of the Milky Way. No, I'd much rather be surrounded by and living amongst some of the most spectacular scenery on earth. Than to be surrounded by conceited billionaires.

Quote:
You know absolutely nothing about me. I "hacked" living in New York for 55 years. The first opportunity I had I got the hell out. I've lived within my means, have no debt. I too could live anywhere my heart desires that's why I chose Arizona. I couldn't be any happier with my choice. I'll take my bland and unimportant wastelands any day. That's all that matters to me anyway.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-18-2015 at 08:56 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 08:42 PM

manekeniko:
Quote:
The biggest blowhards are those earning small potatoes. Take the hint.
I think you've got something there!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:51 PM

ClarkStreetKid:
Quote:
By the way if you want to learn to be a Long Islander try buying in Levittown, a better class of people than you may want to rub shoulders with but it could help you with your self esteem.
Not a chance! Just count your blessings they're not all that way. I've rubbed shoulders with a few wealthy people who never let it go to their head. I just don't know about this person they might yet be an unimportant "blowhard" trying to be somebody. But it really doesn't matter anyway. The world will still go on regardless of anyone's social status.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-18-2015 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 09:10 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Same here, which is why I'm rather skeptical on his story.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:29 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Quote:
blah blah blah... the world's favorite city... blah blah blah
I doubt he's from London. He would spell it "favourite."

Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I think you just made my argument for me. Nassaus proximity to nyc is precisely what makes it special hence the high home values.

I agree that as far as its own economy goes LI is a mess, but the big employers (like Grumman) left decades ago, yet housing continued to rise. Take away NYC and of course there would be huge problems, but it's foolish to even argue that because NYC isn't moving anywhere.
Manhattan money coming into Nassau helps raise the home prices, but it doesn't help the ~75% of the people who don't commute there and don't bring in that kind of money working at LI based jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island