Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:38 AM

159 posts, read 279,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Being diverse doesn't mean that you have a huge percentage of one population and a smaller pop. of maybe one other group.

Huntington and South Huntington are both very similar in their diversity and have many different groups of racial or culturally different students.

Harborfields may have a few odd numbers of kids that are other than white, but I do not consider them diverse because of a couple of students who are not white.

Districts like Manhasset or Half Hollow Hills seem to have attracted a bigger Asian population and have a few blacks or others. Again, not very diverse.

Having all types of students being accepted by others is what makes a district's diversity work well. Perhaps being black or Hispanic in a place like Cold Spring Harbor isn't so great and you wouldn't necessarily be accepted or included since you might not be able to meet the income standards some students place on their friends, sorry to say. Same with a place like Roosevelt or Hempstead, if you're white you will probably be at a huge disadvantage and not accepted at all. That's kids for you. Though by high school you'd assume or hope that they'd get over it.
HHH actually has a decent black percentage, mainly from Wheatley Heights which is extremely mixed....but even Dix Hills and Melville have a decent number of blacks living there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
Why dont the Asians pick a single small town with inexpensive homes and a bad school district and just buy up every home in town flood the schools with bright asians kids and watch property values quadruple.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:23 PM

5,048 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Quote:
Being diverse doesn't mean that you have a huge percentage of one population and a smaller pop. of maybe one other group.

Huntington and South Huntington are both very similar in their diversity and have many different groups of racial or culturally different students.

Harborfields may have a few odd numbers of kids that are other than white, but I do not consider them diverse because of a couple of students who are not white.

Districts like Manhasset or Half Hollow Hills seem to have attracted a bigger Asian population and have a few blacks or others. Again, not very diverse.

Having all types of students being accepted by others is what makes a district's diversity work well. Perhaps being black or Hispanic in a place like Cold Spring Harbor isn't so great and you wouldn't necessarily be accepted or included since you might not be able to meet the income standards some students place on their friends, sorry to say. Same with a place like Roosevelt or Hempstead, if you're white you will probably be at a huge disadvantage and not accepted at all. That's kids for you. Though by high school you'd assume or hope that they'd get over it.
Good point about Huntington's diversity - it is now less than 50% white according to Newsday and I suppose at some point the single largest ethnic group could be Hispanic: White: 48%, Hispanic 38%, Black 9%, and Asian 2%.

CSH is definitely not diverse (LOL). Jericho/Syosset may be depending on one's definition.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Why dont the Asians pick a single small town with inexpensive homes and a bad school district and just buy up every home in town flood the schools with bright asians kids and watch property values quadruple.
If you're not Asian, it's not going to do you any good if they've already bought every home in town before the property values quadruple ...

Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Three Village is among the 'best' districts in Suffolk but if the criteria is diversity it doesn't fit the bill. Essentially no poor or black students and only 4% Hispanic.
If the question is which LI district has identical racial and economic proportions to the US population (or the closest to identical) that might be answerable. Not sure anyone is really looking for that for their child's school.

(And Huntington is very diverse...but the original question about an Asian Student feeling comfortable in Garden City shows the mathematical limits of diversity; Garden City SD [3%] has more Asians than the very diverse Huntington SD[2%].)

Baldwin is another example of a very diverse district...depending on your definition of diverse.

3Ver here. According to the NYS Report cards during school year 2013-14 there were 14% minorities (Black, Hispanic, Asian, biracial) in the TVCSD and 7% economically disadvantaged. A few of the elementary schools have food pantries for this reason.

With the university in our midst, we see students from around the world moving in and out as their parent's careers require. Does this skew the results? I can't say for certain, but in terms of diversity, we do have more international students. This has to count for something; after all, black and white kids from Long Island have far more in common than their contemporaries from all across the globe.

I'm a fair-skinned Hispanic with a European married name. There have been several instances where I have had to correct teachers as to what my children are/aren't. This has been ongoing since K enrollment.

I believe the minority (specifically Hispanic) count would be higher than 4% if Hispanic children were enumerated using their ancestry as opposed to how Hispanic they look or whether they have an Hispanic last name.

Refering back to the NYS report cards:
Quote:
Hispanic or Latino: A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:16 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Having all types of students being accepted by others is what makes a district's diversity work well.
In that case, I recommend the Fantasyland school district.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:51 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Because we don't want the "diverse" kids to beat us up. So instead we pick rich jewish towns instead (i.e. Great Neck).

Old 02-23-2015, 01:04 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,278 times
Bay Shore is a great district. Nice mix of different races/ethnicity, socioeconomic levels, and academic abilities. And it's not far from the Babylon train for commuters.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:32 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
3Ver here. According to the NYS Report cards during school year 2013-14 there were 14% minorities (Black, Hispanic, Asian, biracial) in the TVCSD and 7% economically disadvantaged. A few of the elementary schools have food pantries for this reason.

With the university in our midst, we see students from around the world moving in and out as their parent's careers require. Does this skew the results? I can't say for certain, but in terms of diversity, we do have more international students. This has to count for something; after all, black and white kids from Long Island have far more in common than their contemporaries from all across the globe.

I'm a fair-skinned Hispanic with a European married name. There have been several instances where I have had to correct teachers as to what my children are/aren't. This has been ongoing since K enrollment.

I believe the minority (specifically Hispanic) count would be higher than 4% if Hispanic children were enumerated using their ancestry as opposed to how Hispanic they look or whether they have an Hispanic last name.

Refering back to the NYS report cards:
I agree completely, Latinos are not counted correctly especially since on most forms you must choose "Hispanic" "White Non-Hispanic". Being Hispanic/Latino is not a race. There are plenty of white people who are also Latinos. There are people who are black and Latino.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:48 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Because we don't want the "diverse" kids to beat us up. So instead we pick rich jewish towns instead (i.e. Great Neck).
Jewish folk will sell to anyone hence what ruined the Bronx in the early 1970s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island