Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:46 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Second in your class, Intel finalist, his scores, and he was undoubtedly in extracurriculars. I just think it stinks that we have to turn to his race. Isn't it possible he was qualified?
He was qualified absolutely, obviously a brilliant kid who will do well, but to say that race had absolutely nothing to do with it (as well as socioeconomic status) you are fooling yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 07:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,509,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
He was qualified absolutely, obviously a brilliant kid who will do well, but to say that race had absolutely nothing to do with it (as well as socioeconomic status) you are fooling yourself.
I think it's more that I'm uncomfortable with mentioning his race when a kid has worked his tail off his entire life. And, honestly, if a kid who may not be wealthy is getting the same shot as privileged kids then I say good for him. It gives hope to others.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:56 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
If you are salutatorian, an Intel finalist, and you have 2200 on your SAT, I think you'd almost be a shoe in. IMHO, I don't think race was a factor.
I think you're delusional if you really believe that Logan McNally from Levittown gets in to all 8 Ivies and then some with the same credentials....but agree that would prefer to leave race out of the equation. I'm sure he'll do well and use his education wisely.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:58 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
how expensive is it to apply to all 8?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:02 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,509,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think you're delusional if you really believe that Logan McNally from Levittown gets in to all 8 Ivies and then some with the same credentials....but agree that would prefer to leave race out of the equation. I'm sure he'll do well and use his education wisely.

I think it's more that I'm struggling with just wanting to give these kids a congrats and hope that other kids from those communities see the possibilities that await them. Call it delusional. I'm fine with that because I'm a pragmatist. So, being called delusional is a rarity for me lol. I'm glad I'd rather see the hope in this than break it down into numbers. I'm choosing to just say congrats.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Plus, 100-200 extra points added to your SAT score if you are black or Hispanic.... 50 points deducted if you are Asian.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
If you are salutatorian, an Intel finalist, and you have 2200 on your SAT, I think you'd almost be a shoe in. IMHO, I don't think race was a factor.
Those qualifications alone are not impressive at all. I'll bet the top 100 seniors in any of Long Island's elite high schools have that and more. The SAT score is quite low for those schools. However, he may have written an exceptional essay, demonstrated leadership in other areas, and was involved in some atypical impressive community service activities

I thought he was an intel semi-finalist. Big difference from being a finalist in that particular competition.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:02 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Those qualifications alone are not impressive at all. I'll bet the top 100 seniors in any of Long Island's elite high schools have that and more. The SAT score is quite low for those schools. However, he may have written an exceptional essay, demonstrated leadership in other areas, and was involved in some atypical impressive community service activities

I thought he was an intel semi-finalist. Big difference from being a finalist in that particular competition.
Agree. He was a semi-finalist (one poster keeps getting that wrong and it is a huge difference). 2270 not a great score for those elite colleges- he was not a National Merit Semifinalist.

Asian and white candidates with his credentials do not get into all 8 Ivies (unless they are athletes or some other special category) . His race (black) was undoubtedly a major factor in those impressive admissions.

There will always be some folks who are relatively unfamiliar with the elite college admissions game who will balk at the suggestion that Asians and whites (unless they are athletes or some other special category) are disadvantaged in the process compared to blacks. And that Asians, for example and with superior academic accomplishments, are routinely denied admission.

This is not to take anything away from him and he is certainly qualified and will do well in whatever college he picks.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:15 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
I think it's more that I'm uncomfortable with mentioning his race when a kid has worked his tail off his entire life. And, honestly, if a kid who may not be wealthy is getting the same shot as privileged kids then I say good for him. It gives hope to others.
Get comfortable - racial considerations are the standard operating procedure for the elite colleges.

This reality has nothing to do with his impressive work ethic and wonderful accomplishments.

It is a shame the college admissions game weighs race (especially for blacks) so heavily - it leads to a false perception that a black student who is accepted is not really qualified the way as Asian student (who has a demonstrably higher academic bar to pass to gain admission) might be. In reality, all these bright kids are qualified and can handle the work once accepted.

But I do agree that it is always nice when someone (black, white, Asian, etc) whose parents are not wealthy can compete with those who might have some financial advantages. That is entirely different and far less odious than the race game played by the elite colleges.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 04-05-2015 at 04:40 AM..

Old 04-05-2015, 07:17 AM

384 posts, read 434,923 times
Jealousy is both reasonable and belongs to reasonable men, while envy is base and belongs to the base, for the one makes himself get good things by jealousy, while the other does not allow his neighbour to have them through envy.
Aristotle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island