Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:21 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I think it's more that I'm struggling with just wanting to give these kids a congrats and hope that other kids from those communities see the possibilities that await them.
I totally agree with what you're saying here, but that's not what you originally said. You said anyone with the same credentials would get in. And I know you were wrong originally because I saw it happen in my own family (roundly and soundly rejected by the Ivies and wait listed at the next slightly lower tier) with very similar credentials (going to say even higher SAT score as well as National Merit finalist). We're not from Nigeria. Just sayin' and the child in question is not a privileged child, not even from Long Island.

I bet there are kids all over LI fuming that they had the same or better creds and were told not to even bother applying to the Ivies. I agree with Coney - those stats are run-of-the-mill for the Ivies these days.

All this isn't to say I don't think he deserves his admission. I think he does. It is not easy to be him and succeed as he did. And I have no doubt he will go on to do great things and appreciates what is happening to him.

Last edited by twingles; 04-05-2015 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think you're delusional if you really believe that Logan McNally from Levittown gets in to all 8 Ivies and then some with the same credentials....but agree that would prefer to leave race out of the equation. I'm sure he'll do well and use his education wisely.

I'm sure those Ivy's would be looking for "Logan McNally's", because Levittown is not a wealthy district either. Students from Levittown do not apply to Ivy's. Maybe they apply to local and state colleges as well as community colleges.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Jealousy is both reasonable and belongs to reasonable men, while envy is base and belongs to the base, for the one makes himself get good things by jealousy, while the other does not allow his neighbour to have them through envy.
Aristotle
For Asian Americans, a changing landscape on college admissions - LA Times

Just deal with the facts.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,542,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Poor was a bad choice of words, but most on LI certainly don't look upon Elmont as one of the 'good' districts
You are absolutely right about Elmont. What this proves is that education is what you make of it. A kid with all the breaks can screw things up and a kid who didn't have the same advantages can still succeed.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:33 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I think it's more that I'm uncomfortable with mentioning his race when a kid has worked his tail off his entire life. And, honestly, if a kid who may not be wealthy is getting the same shot as privileged kids then I say good for him. It gives hope to others.

You get racial preferences and the stigma attached thereto, or you swim with the adults. Not both.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:14 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I totally agree with what you're saying here, but that's not what you originally said. You said anyone with the same credentials would get in. And I know you were wrong originally because I saw it happen in my own family (roundly and soundly rejected by the Ivies and wait listed at the next slightly lower tier) with very similar credentials (going to say even higher SAT score as well as National Merit finalist). We're not from Nigeria. Just sayin' and the child in question is not a privileged child, not even from Long Island.

I bet there are kids all over LI fuming that they had the same or better creds and were told not to even bother applying to the Ivies. I agree with Coney - those stats are run-of-the-mill for the Ivies these days.

All this isn't to say I don't think he deserves his admission. I think he does. It is not easy to be him and succeed as he did. And I have no doubt he will go on to do great things and appreciates what is happening to him.
my friend's son was second in his class (large LI high school), 2400 on SAT, highest score possible on all five AP tests. Intel semi-finalist. Officer in school clubs, etc. Waitlisted at MIT, which was his dream school.
I'm not racist, but if you don't think race is a factor in the admission process at the Ivy League schools, you have another think coming.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
It also isn't fair that this young man, who clearly worked his arse off, will always have that taint about him of probably being boosted in bc of his race. It undermines his credibility and isn't fair to him at all.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:22 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Default Great Job Young Man

I can't believe all of the disrespect dumped on this young man as he devoted his whole life to achieving and living the American Dream. All that I can say to the Caucasians and Asians who are unhappy " file a law suit against the 8 ivy league Universities " and pursue it that way.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:34 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Jealousy is both reasonable and belongs to reasonable men, while envy is base and belongs to the base, for the one makes himself get good things by jealousy, while the other does not allow his neighbour to have them through envy.
Aristotle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you are a Asian have you ever thought about building elite Asians Universities that would guarantee admissions to Asians students. In America admission was denied qualified African American based on the color of theirs skin , and when admission was granted African - American were forced to sit out in the hallway a part from the White Students. The mistreatment of African - American students didn't stop until the ( Late 1960's ) so i feel the pain of some parents , but realize that this small measure of this young man admission could make a major different in the African-American Community.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news...e_schools.html

Old 04-05-2015, 06:46 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I can't believe all of the disrespect dumped on this young man as he devoted his whole life to achieving and living the American Dream. All that I can say to the Caucasians and Asians who are unhappy " file a law suit against the 8 ivy league Universities " and pursue it that way.
There has been no disrespect dumped on this young man.

The Ivies are free to have differing admission standards to achieve a diverse population. And they do. And commenters are free to note that. No need to dump disrespect on them for noting that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island