Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:12 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Both of my kids are out of college at this point. When they were in the process of applying to schools, I only read the book by M. Hernandez, which I recommend to any student or parent out there that is interested in the higher ranked schools. In it there is a prescription to follow to increase a student's chances for being accepted into a school that only takes a small percentage of applicants. My electrician's son had a terrible guidance counselor in high school a few years ago, and both his parents and he were lost when it came to getting ready to start lining up colleges to look at as well as steering him in the direction of extra curriculars. His grades were good. They needed a roadmap to follow - nothing more. Just something to organize them all. The son ticked off the achievements outlined in the book, and today he's at Lehigh.

And after skimming through a Princeton Guide to Colleges or a Barron's, it becomes pretty clear in a hurry what kind of scores and qualifications it takes to even be considered by one of the top schools.

Some kids who get amazing scores on the SAT actually take it again to see if they can match it. Sounds crazy, but it happens. Three Village SD has a very high concentration of top contending students because of the population pool out there - children of university profs, MD's (University Hospital), Brookhaven lab personnel. Lots of high IQ's genetically, and these kids compete with one another and spur each other on. A rather unique situation since there are so many of them. It also can become quite the pressure cooker too - which isn't so good.

Getting back to the subject that's been so debated, getting into even 2 Ivies is a huge deal and rare. I just find it very odd that a student would get into all 8. If this particular student got into one, or even two, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. But to be accepted by all of them - there's got to be a reason for it besides class rank and good scores on paper.
There may be an knowledge gap here. You are on top of the reality of the elite college admssions game. I think I know a bit too so the SAT score of course jumped out at me - as did the 8 for 8. Without knowing race I would have guessed black applicant or coveted athlete (yes the Ivies will go after athletes but not all 8 at once to the point of offering admission so I take that back). Obviously legaciy can't be the answer (how many parents can you have).

I also happen to know Syosset alone had 18 National Merit Semi/Finalists lists this year and about 20 last year and they are not going 8 for 8 and they most likely scored higher on the SAT (and definitely scored higher on the PSAT).

Folks without the knowledge base might pretend that this is insulting to the young man to point this out or an implication he does not qualify - - this in no way insults this highly accomplished young many or suggests he is not qualified for admission or for excelling at the school. It is just observations from folks who know the admissions game at the elite colleges.

(Finally, it is acceptable practice to mix and match the three sections of the SATs to add up to the best possible SAT score. That is not captured in the lowish number of 2400's another poster noted).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 10:05 AM

137 posts, read 194,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I can't believe all of the disrespect dumped on this young man as he devoted his whole life to achieving and living the American Dream. All that I can say to the Caucasians and Asians who are unhappy " file a law suit against the 8 ivy league Universities " and pursue it that way.

Lawsuits?

Harvard suit questions race

National Review

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...ion-violations

Old 04-06-2015, 10:06 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

(Finally, it is acceptable practice to mix and match the three sections of the SATs to add up to the best possible SAT score. That is not captured in the lowish number of 2400's another poster noted).
Thank you for this information. I had no idea mix and match was possible.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 AM

137 posts, read 194,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Ivy League Admissions Are a Sham: Confessions of a Harvard Gatekeeper

This is an interesting read, according to this former Harvard admissions officer kids who are children of alumni certainly seem to have points in their favor.

Ha Ha. I thought that is the most prevalent reason TO go to Harvard?! The legacy/alumni nepotism continues for life and pays handsome dividends.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:59 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
No surprises just pointing out there are other factors other than race that have absolutely nothing to do with personal achievement
Great point! The discussion was race as one of those factors. Apparently one poster didn't know that - thanks for helping to point that out.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:08 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,509,323 times
So was the application process easier in '94 when I got into an Ivy with a 1540 on the SAT?

Old 04-06-2015, 04:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
So was the application process easier in '94 when I got into an Ivy with a 1540 on the SAT?
Yes, it was considerably. The game changed a great deal within the next 10 years. Expectations became higher and more materails for admission were required to be submitted (published materials, DVDs, student's website, etc. student-made films) It became a game of trading baseball cards between HS college counselors (job depends on how many of their students attend high ranking colleges) and college admission reps. Since not all of the highly qualified seniors of each high school can be accepted in these elite schools, they make deals.

The northeast is the most densely competitive college admissions market just through the sheer number of students. High stakes students in CA tend to stay on the west coast since they have Stanford, Cal Tech and 2 public top ranking CA public universities with low in-state tuition and preference given to CA residents.

This is just opinion. In my experience, immigrants from Nigeria are very similar to poorer Asian immigrants. Nigerian immigrants do not take education for granted and show a great deal of gratitude and respect to American educators. They come from a place where they feel lucky if children can attend school and will walk miles to attend just a village school. They place a high priority on education and will sacrifice what is necessary for them to get what their children need to attain high grades and entrance into good colleges. They may not place a high priority on extra curriculars like music or chess, but they push their children to study very hard and complete homework assignments.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:10 AM

33 posts, read 39,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
Ha Ha. I thought that is the most prevalent reason TO go to Harvard?! The legacy/alumni nepotism continues for life and pays handsome dividends.
Absolutely true. Dividends of forever. Especially if accompanied with handsome endowment contributions/grants/blank-check donations.

I see many are of an impression that GPA, SAT, merit awards are all that is needed. What Ivies love is how did your child relate to the greater community around him/her. Leadership in a food bank? Volunteering or creating an organization useful to said community? Spent a summer overseas in specialized study or assisting a Latin community with various projects? In other words did your smart child accomplish themselves in the greater world community.

Legacy is more important than race just not as popular a topic.

Is it possible to have a " direct lineage " which is the term among some, to 8 Ivies? Yes. Legacy "scholarships" are for those who have at least one direct lineage graduate, i.e. parent, stepparent, grandparent, great grandparent, etc. There are "families" who make it a point to have all Ivies covered for the sake of posterity/family clan.

Among legacies, competition edgers would be listing all relatives who are graduates or students of that school.

I think a factor of being black or inner-city equalizes legacies. Education has never been "equal" nor would we really want it to be. How many would want their kids starting the "fast-track" at age 3? Preparing for SAT's starting in middle school? Evenings, week-ends, summer vacations, all free time devoted to the pursuit of that brass ring? You think your child got booted because of a black kid?

The black kid might have satisfied an endowment requirement. Most do. Nothing to do with your white kid getting into 8 Ivies. Take it up with the donor endowment committee! LOL. Apparently, the mind is a fine thing to waste.

Last edited by legacy confidential; 04-07-2015 at 06:27 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 10:36 AM

626 posts, read 903,607 times
I wonder if all this analysis and back & forth would be taking place on this post if the kid was white. Yes! I said it. You all did the same think last year when the kid from Shirley got into all 8 Ivys. What's the matter with you people? Can't you just say congratulations and move on or not say anything at all. It's a damn shame. No wonder people think most Long Islanders are a racist miserable bunch.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:41 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
I wonder if all this analysis and back & forth would be taking place on this post if the kid was white. Yes! I said it. You all did the same think last year when the kid from Shirley got into all 8 Ivys. What's the matter with you people? Can't you just say congratulations and move on or not say anything at all. It's a damn shame. No wonder people think most Long Islanders are a racist miserable bunch.
The problem with that logic is, there will never, I repeat never, be a white student that will get accepted to ALL 8 Ivy league schools for the same academic year. It is almost impossible. Even with a perfect SAT score, 4.0 (or 5.0 GPA) and extra curriculars, one or more of the Ivy leagues will deny or wait list said student. The only reason we have been seeing more of these 8-8 students (kid from Shirley last year, and a kid from Oakland also this year) is because of the quotas these institutions have to enroll people of color.

This is not a Long Island thing. Go to the university forum on this site and see the discussion about the student from Oakland. Exact same discussion going on there, with lots of other posters not from Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island