Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What makes Port Jeff station bad? My sister in law lives there and it seems like a fine area. She lives right on the border of Selden.
Not that it is bad, but it is taking a change for the worse. There has been an increase in absentee landlord situations, and houses that are not be kept up with. There's has been an influx of people of questionable immigration status and that is becoming more noticeable in upper Port.

Depending on where a person is coming from , it might seem bad, it might not seem bad. A few people I know who have lived there a while seem to feel it is getting worse -- hastening one person's departure. She had people renting across from her playing reggaeton and salsa music at all hours, many men coming and going. That was not an ideal place to raise a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 27,368 times
we have lived in Port Jeff Station and are happy with it. There are four elementary schools and one middle and one high school. The location is great. The taxes are high like anywhere on Long Island, but thats a given. We have a soccer league, a movie theatre and Buttercup's Dair store which is great.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,486 times
all the areas have their pros and cons. Rocky Point for example has affordable housing/taxes, a small town feel (try going to Kohls and not bump into someone) , positive school involvment (PTA, Cheerleaders going to Florida for competition, sports,musicals), CYO programs for the kids, beaches to the north and protected property great for bike riding south of 25A. Things are what you put into them, but I find it's easy hear with so many good things to start with.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 PM

25 posts, read 105,058 times
If you have a child that needs special education services, I've heard that Port Jefferson district is horrible in that regard.

We just moved to PJS from Selden and DS will be starting at Comseqogue a new elementary school this week, so I'm not sure how it will be, but we'll find out soon! He does have special needs and I've heard this district is pretty good for that (we came from Middle Country which is great for Special needs).

Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 AM

28 posts, read 103,223 times
My Rank would be similar

1. Port Jeff
2. Rocky Point/Sound Beach
3. PJ station.

Reasons....PJ Station has influx of rentals/issues?? maybe I'm being a lil conservative.

IF you can afford Port Jeff go for it, they have lower taxes due to Lilco supliments and 3 vill schools ranked highest on Long Island under Cold Spring HRBR.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomjunkie View Post
My Rank would be similar

1. Port Jeff
2. Rocky Point/Sound Beach
3. PJ station.

Reasons....PJ Station has influx of rentals/issues?? maybe I'm being a lil conservative.

IF you can afford Port Jeff go for it, they have lower taxes due to Lilco supliments and 3 vill schools ranked highest on Long Island under Cold Spring HRBR.
I believe most of Port Jeff goes to the Port Jeff School District. There's only a small portion (west of California Ave) which attends the TVCSD.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What makes Port Jeff station bad? My sister in law lives there and it seems like a fine area. She lives right on the border of Selden.
I have heard that one area of PJS has a homeless shelter where many of the homeless congregate..... and different issues arise from that.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 AM

12 posts, read 38,940 times
HYSTERICAL - All this talk about PJS is really frustrating at best! My husband and I both grew up in Shoreham-Wading River and in 2003 we bought a house in Sound Beach (beautiful 2 year old home). After living there for less than a year we sold the home and moved due to our neighbors and the overall area being so sketchy. There were fights on the school bus every day (these were K and 1st graders) and lots of moms actually drove their kids to school so they didn't have to take the bus. My neighbors had 12 people living in a 2 bedroom house and the cops were there all the time ( there were houses like that on every block). We are blue collar working class but Rocky Point was over the top for us. I couldn't really get over the amount of section 8 and poverty in the town. My girlfriend and her husband moved out of their Rocky Point house because their neighbor sold coke and had his motorcycle crew sitting in lawn chairs all hours day and night partying! Rocky Point/Sound Beach is very hilly and isolated so if you get a few sketchy neighbors you will suffer unfortunately. We were looking for the American dream and we actually did find it in Port Jefferson Station. Our neighborhood is flat with sidewalks and tons of fabulous neighbors who do not have 7 cars parked on their front lawns - yay! We LOVE the Comsewogue school district and all that it has to offer. My children are getting a wonderful education and their are a million opportunities to get involved in the schools. There are a few streets where illegals tend to rent but you can easily avoid those areas. We chose PJS because it was affordable and the school district offered a lot of extras that we felt were important. Mount Sinai was too expensive for us and we really weren't looking to be in an "over the top" neighborhood. We do not drive an Escalade or have granite countertops, nor will we ever. Miller Place is 50% rich and 50% not so rich (Sound Beach) so once again they do have some issues due to the MAJOR differences in income in the school district (make sure if you are buying in SB just to get in the MP district that you understand the demographics of the district) you may not be doing your children a favor. Don't misunderstand me I know Comsewogue is not perfect but as far as a middle class school district and neighborhood with a mixture of professional and blue collar workers who take pride in their surroundings PJS can't be beat. Of course Port Jeff is fabulous but once again you are talking about UPPER CLASS people that can drop $600k + on a house and send their kids to Laurel Hill and ski at Stratton every weekend. Different world!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,089 times
Well, I live in Port Jeff, Harbor Hills. I bought my home for $415K, so I don't know about everyone dropping $600K for a house in Port Jeff. I most certainly am not upper class in terms of income, and I cannot afford to send my children to Laurel Hill, nor can we go and ski a couple of times a year. We live on a very nice block with other parents in our income bracket, and all of our children run around the backyards and play all afternoon (no nannies here, we can't afford them and don't need them), getting their exercise and never knowing they're missing anything.

We moved here b/c the house had the ameneities we wanted (needs some fixing, but worth it), it is .47 of an acre, and Keyspan absorbs a lot of the txes, so our taxes are around $6K/year, including village taxes. I think if you drive around, you will find that there are 4 bedroom colonials on nice parcels for under $500K. There is even a brand new colonial home going up (3 bed, 2 1/2 bath) on a 50X220 lot in the village on a very quiet street, for $559K.

Of course, there are homes in Belle Terre which are beautiful and expensive, but they are the exception rather than the norm. We have found that the children all get along despite the differences in income.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 05-16-2008 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-16-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLI5 View Post
HYSTERICAL
Isn't it?

Quote:
My husband and I both grew up in Shoreham-Wading River
Where we came from doesn't dictate where we will wind up.

Quote:
We are blue collar working class but Rocky Point was over the top for us. I couldn't really get over the amount of section 8 and poverty in the town. My girlfriend and her husband moved out of their Rocky Point house because their neighbor sold coke and had his motorcycle crew sitting in lawn chairs all hours day and night partying!
And that's just all the biker people living in The Tides or the McMansions off of Noahs Path! LOL Guess what? They're selling cocaine in PJS and all over LI. No area is immune. I lived in RP for several years, in an area with lots of cottages. People could still afford to buy homes in 'nicer' areas of LI. I did not see anything as bad as you've described in my area of Rocky Point. Considering that home prices have soared and young couples started buying into the area, the area has improved since the mid 90's.

(Just for giggles, did you know that the median income of a new Harley Davidson owner is over $85,000 per year. Please don't paint all bikers with the same brush.)

Quote:
Rocky Point/Sound Beach is very hilly and isolated so if you get a few sketchy neighbors you will suffer unfortunately. We were looking for the American dream and we actually did find it in Port Jefferson Station. Our neighborhood is flat with sidewalks and tons of fabulous neighbors......There are a few streets where illegals tend to rent but you can easily avoid those areas.
Once upon a time in PJS there were no illegals. They came to this country in pursuit of money and their version of the American dream. Then it was a street where illegals tend to rent, now as you've indicated, it's a few streets where illegals tend to rent. Given the fact that their numbers are increasing, do you tend to believe that in the next 5 years there will be more illegals or fewer illegals?

Quote:
We do not drive an Escalade or have granite countertops, nor will we ever.
Anyone can drive an Escalade. Leasing has made cars which were once a hallmark of the wealthy into obtainable by all. They've lost their cache. I could care less whether my friends drove VW's or Escalades, had Formica or granite countertops. Neither item is a quantifier for wealth.

Quote:
Don't misunderstand me I know Comsewogue is not perfect but as far as a middle class school district and neighborhood with a mixture of professional and blue collar workers who take pride in their surroundings PJS can't be beat.
Are you happy? Are your children happy? If your answer is yes, that's ALL that matters in the end.

Quote:
Of course Port Jeff is fabulous but once again you are talking about UPPER CLASS people that can drop $600k + on a house and send their kids to Laurel Hill and ski at Stratton every weekend. Different world!
It has already been mentioned that there are homes in PJ that are not $600K. Chances are the average person bought PJ for the PJ schools; they aren't going to pay Laurel Hill tuition when their schools are great.

Remember one thing: money and class are not synonymous. Higher income people are not always Upper class, if you know what I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island