Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:34 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Online ammo sales are still allowed through an FFL. Most retailers won't ship here, some do though. I don't get why more don't, it's not illegal.
I don't blame them, this place is a minefield. And there was supposed to be an ammo registry that never came to be, probably scared some of them away right off the bat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:20 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I don't blame them, this place is a minefield. And there was supposed to be an ammo registry that never came to be, probably scared some of them away right off the bat.
I'm surprised they haven't passed a law forbidding anything other than FMJ though.

On a separate note, fired a handgun for the first time today. 100 rounds with a 22 Ruger 22/45 Lite and then 50 with a 9mm HK VP9. I think I've found my new hobby...very relaxing at the indoor range, nice people there and very helpful. Reminds me when I was a kid at the traveling carnivals when they had target shooting.

It's a shame that NY is so restrictive.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:53 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
so when you said:

you were just making up the part about condos and coops?
That's a 66% BS rate for you...which is actually an improvement. Congrats!
Honestly, I am kinda shocked coops allow guns in the building except for law enforcement who live in the building. If you have a secure doorman building in the city. And 8-10 owners are already FBI, CIA, NYPD etc and have guns why do you need grannie with a machinegun?

But I guess the consitutional rights allow it

Old 06-05-2015, 08:44 AM

79 posts, read 91,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Honestly, I am kinda shocked coops allow guns in the building except for law enforcement who live in the building. If you have a secure doorman building in the city. And 8-10 owners are already FBI, CIA, NYPD etc and have guns why do you need grannie with a machinegun?

Besides the constitutional right, why be dependent on someone when/if you're put in *that* situation ? Even if they're 5 minutes away, its still 5 minutes. And just cause there are people there who have firearms, what makes you think they would help you when you called?

Your well being is in your hands

Old 06-06-2015, 07:42 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,586 times
Quote:
Wow. Please take the time to really think through some of the things you have written. With all due respect, you are woefully uninformed on this topic. Perhaps too many "soundbites" and unfounded fears pushed by the news media.

Are your just as surprised they let "Jews" or "Catholics" or "Polish" people live in these same condos? Are you surprised they let people speak out against the government, or not allow random searches of their apartments by the co-op board? After all, if you have a problem with the 2nd amendment, you probably have an issue with the 1st and 4th as well.

"Granny" - or anyone else - is not able to own a "machine gun" in NY. That would be a Class III firearm. Class III firearms have been heavily regulated since the NFA of 1934. With much paperwork, trouble and a LOT of money, it is possible to own these in some states. NY is not one of them - there is a total ban on Class III firearms in NY.

As has already been pointed out, your protection is your responsibility. Having LEOs in your building does not make you any more or less safe than not having them. BTW - it is not their job or responsibility to prevent harm to you - it is their job to apprehend the person _after_ they have committed a crime.

You apparently don't like guns. That's fine. I won't ever force you to get one. So where do you get off telling me that mine should be taken away?

There are tens of thousand of legal _pistol_ license holders in Nassau County alone. Many tens of thousands more have long guns. These people have all passed background checks. These people have never been convicted of a felony. These people have all demonstrated the ability to act responsibly with a gun (if not, they would have been arrested and had the gun confiscated).

You cannot say the same for non-gun owners. I would rather be in a room full of "grannies with machine guns" than a room full of strangers who didn't pass the rigorous vetting process to own these highly restricted firearms. By definition, granny is a more responsible person... plus, with all the Class III owners, one might let me shoot her full-auto at the range (which is fun).

Quote:

Bingo. Now you start get it. Only it is not a "guess" - the US Constitution is pretty clear on this one... "Shall not be infringed."

An important clarification: The bill of rights are an enumeration of our "inalienable rights endowed by the Creator." The framers recognized that we are BORN with these rights - they are not "granted" by the government or a piece of paper. The Constitution merely puts them in writing so it is clear that the government has NO ability to mess with these God-given rights. These rights were not supposed to be "open to interpretation" or subject to political whims or emotional pleas.

There is a quote that I always felt puts things in perspective:

"Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."

Old 06-06-2015, 07:49 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs8808 View Post
Besides the constitutional right, why be dependent on someone when/if you're put in *that* situation ? Even if they're 5 minutes away, its still 5 minutes. And just cause there are people there who have firearms, what makes you think they would help you when you called?

Your well being is in your hands
they won't help you. a few years ago i posted here how my wife and i were accosted in ally pond park.

she screamed as i confronted the bad guy. not one person even paid attention to her screaming.

he turned from me to go after her because she was screaming so it gave me the chance to grab a log and chase him. but no one paid us any mind at all.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:48 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:

Never understood the mentality that it's someone else's job to protect you and your family. Pro tip: cops and doormen aren't bodyguards, and have no legal duty to protect people. Cops are there to investigate crimes and catch bad guys after they've done bad things, and doormen are like airport security: providing the illusion of safety. Housing projects in the south Bronx are filled with doormen and security guards, but would you feel safe living there? Check the crime stats first.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:38 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Why on Earth would anyone want to to move from NC TO LI?

I would ask this question in reverse. While I no longer live on Long Island, when moving North Carolina ranks close to Alabama or Mississippi in terms of desirability.

The OP might prefer PA. We lived there for three years and tried hard to like it. Very liberal gun laws.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:34 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The OP might prefer PA. We lived there for three years and tried hard to like it. Very liberal gun laws.
Why would you assume that "very liberal" gun laws might be an important factor for me?

Old 06-07-2015, 01:52 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Why would you assume that "very liberal" gun laws might be an important factor for me?

Because a lot of Yanks here assume that if you want a permit, then you all drive pickups with a gun rack on the back, drink sweet tea, listen to Paisley, and wear $hit kickers. Don't be offended. I think she was being thoughtful. Good luck with your permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island