Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 10:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I didn't know everyone wanted to live in a guolded cage/mcmansion? For 400k you can get 50 acres of land upstate NY and build a mansion...
Well then they could enjoy the modest cape shown in the first picture. Comparing rural land to the suburban examples doesn't really match besides 50 acres in other localities can run 1/2 as much as 400k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:37 PM

20,036 posts, read 20,839,727 times
I'm on the LI sucks team.
But that's me. For the expense, I just don't or can't see the draw to living here.
I guess if you make like 200k a year or something it's kinda ok.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:11 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,869 times
Quote:
I didn't know everyone wanted to live in a guolded cage/mcmansion?
Fine, let's compare what you can get in various regions with $100k:

Long Island on $100k-

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...18-64887?row=5

Charlotte on $100k-

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...60-72018?row=1

Phoenix on $100k-

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4-48736?row=64

Chicago area on $100k-

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7-85358?row=18

Old 09-20-2015, 01:25 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,877 times
I'm glad my basic 1800 SF ranch here on L.I. iS worth that much!

Old 09-20-2015, 01:50 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,716 times
Quote:
I didn't know everyone wanted to live in a guolded cage/mcmansion? For 400k you can get 50 acres of land upstate NY and build a mansion...
They want to live in a suburb of a major city. That's what suburban housing looks like in many major meto areas, you're calling them "McMansions" but that's not what they're called elsewhere - they're just called houses. Who doesn't want more for their money?

To the OP, the people who just want to leave LI have left, or are leaving, and aren't spending a lot of time complaining on this forum. The complainers are about 50% people who want to leave but can't due to jobs, family, etc. and 50% people who have already left, don't really like it where they are now, and come here to feel better.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
#Threadend
Umm, you forgot to talk about salaries in those other areas. Do as many people get $400k+ homes?

With salaries considered, the shift is the same. That is of course unless you take your NY income/savings or home sale to other areas, which is why people who've moved claim they live much better now. Of course, genius. Try growing up there with their rate of income/savings, and even job opps, and see if you still end up the same way. In other words, you cheated and are boasting about it (anytime someone says my house is now ____) to the rest of us. Why should we be impressed? It's no big secret it's cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-20-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 03:08 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Umm, you forgot to talk about salaries in those other areas. Do as many people get $400k+ homes?

With salaries considered, the shift is the same. That is of course unless you take your NY income/savings or home sale to other areas, which is why people who've moved claim they live much better now. Of course, genius. Try growing up there with their rate of income/savings, and even job opps, and see if you still end up the same way. In other words, you cheated and are boasting about it (anytime someone says my house is now ____) to the rest of us. Why should we be impressed? It's no big secret it's cheaper elsewhere.
Here is what I wrote on the 1st page: "Yeah, the pay in MANHATTAN is higher than average but the pay on Long Island SUCKS; if you want a decent income, you would have to fight for it and do a long, painful and expensive Parking+LIRR+subway commute TWICE a day; and then even after that, you get raped by property taxes.*"

So in other words, the pay on LI is probably just as similar as the rest of the country in general (ask anybody and they will suspect the same). If you want a good paying job then you usually have to make MAJOR sacrifices to work out in Manhattan (expensive and much less time w/family commuting).

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 09-20-2015 at 04:21 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 04:02 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:
Here is what I wrote on the 1st page, genius: "Yeah, the pay in MANHATTAN is higher than average but the pay on Long Island SUCKS; if you want a decent income, you would have to fight for it and do a long, painful and expensive Parking+LIRR+subway commute TWICE a day; and then even after that, you get raped by property taxes.*"

So in other words, the pay on LI is probably just as similar as the rest of the country in general (ask anybody and they will suspect the same). If you want a good paying job then you usually have to make MAJOR sacrifices to work out in Manhattan (expensive and much less time w/family commuting).
The problems of commuting depend on the area. Workers in SoCal, SF, Atlanta, Houston, Seattle area, D.C. also complain of painful and fairly expensive 1 hour to 90 min. one way commutes from their homes to their workplace. Maybe, it's better in North Carolina or Florida, I wouldn't know.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:24 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
Quote:
you would have to fight for it and do a long, painful and expensive Parking+LIRR+subway commute TWICE a day; and then even after that, you get raped by property taxes.
You can do away with the parking and cut commute times to Manhattan/Brooklyn for more people by 15-20 minutes (not a small number) and reduce the property tax burden if more neighborhoods with LIRR stops agree to rezone areas around train stations to allow for taller buildings, if not high rises. I don't know if many LI residents will agree to that however.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:18 PM

703 posts, read 1,173,736 times
"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

Must be why daily LIRR ridership averages 300,000 + and LI home prices are so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island